Dry skin

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Heavy Kevy

Stalwart
Reaction score
I’ve had psoriasis most of my life. My father has it and I’m told it can be hereditary. Years ago a Dr had me laying on a tanning bed. Sun dose help but I don’t think the tanning bed did anything. I’ve tried creams and soaps. None of them did much.
I found it interesting that different AED’s can effect it. Some make it better, some worse. Once again showing how much the brain controls.

Hi Heavy Kevy,

Have you ever tried using organic coconut oil for the psoriasis? I've read that when you melt the oil and put it on your skin
it will have the psoriasis and at the same time it helps reduce seizures for some people because the oil is high in fat. I use it
in the winter months when I have more seizures and I saw a decrease in my seizures.

I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You,

Sue

I’ve had psoriasis most of my life. My father has it and I’m told it can be hereditary. Years ago a Dr had me laying on a tanning bed. Sun dose help but I don’t think the tanning bed did anything. I’ve tried creams and soaps. None of them did much.
I found it interesting that different AED’s can effect it. Some make it better, some worse. Once again showing how much the brain controls.

Meds can effect your skin. They might be dry, oily or who knows what else.

Psoriasis is hereditary. It runs really bad on my dad's side of the family and lucky me got it. When I was younger I went to a dermatologist because I had very bad acne, dry skin and dandruff. I was prescribed lotions and shampoos that helped. Now that I've gotten older, 45, I don't have it nearly as bad and I'm not using prescriptions for it unless I really need it.. I can get sunburnt easy so I try to stay out of the sun for long periods of time and use sunscreen.

I use dandruff shampoo, Head and Shoulders, and it keeps the dandruff away. Liquid Dove soap with no wash cloth, just use my hands. The dermatologist suggested using Neosporin lotion for dry skin and that helps. Don't use any of the fancy scented soaps, shampoos and lotions, those are the worst.

Thanks
One soap I do use is African Black soap. It works well on my face. The liquid body wash seems to work best. But only use a tiny amount.

Last edited:
I've burned myself severely--second & third degree--many times during complex partials. The scar tissue and areas around it often become very dry. I only use Palmer's Original Cocoa Butter Formula and their lotion.

One soap I do use is African Black soap. It works well on my face. The liquid body wash seems to work best. But only use a tiny amount.

My dermatologist told me that liquid soap is the best for people with skin problems. Using your hands to wash is the best too because other things, even washcloths, can be rough on your skin and irritate it.

Have any of you tried fish oil supplements? I think they are supposed to help somewhat. I'm always curious about to what extent diet can help (or hinder) in managing any particular disorder.

Back
Top Bottom