eating seems to be regressing

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

donnajane

New
Reaction score
Sorry probably not seizure related but my 18 month old has added a new thing into the mix the last couple of weeks. My husband and I first noticed that a few times it was trying to eat but kept taking tiny bites, struggling to chew then spitting them out, he did this for the whole meal. Child Care rang today to tell me they are worried as he has been doing it with them as well and they, like us thought it was just a one off but has continued. He seems to not to be able to eat any food with lumps but we keep trying but he ends ups getting upset. He sometimes is OK with bigger finger food but often we end a meal giving him pureed food which he seems to be able to eat happily.
Otherwise although he still has his weird events, sleep not great, legs give out or has no balance at times, uncontrolled arm movements plus his other weird and wonderful "quirks: etc but at other times almost your average toddler.
I am trying not to be paranoid but his GP said to keep an eye on it as it like he is having trouble swallowing/eating almost regressed back below a 12moth old or younger in this area?
Has anyone else had a child do this? His recent MRI showed inflamation in his putamen but don't know if it could cause this.
Seeing his Paed and Nureo next week so hopefully they will be able to give us some answers.

Donnajane

My thoughts turn to teething? My 19 month old daughter just sprouted her top canine teeth and was pretty cranky for a week or two. He might just be in too much pain to chew? My older daughter went through a stage at about 2-3 years of age where she couldn't chew properly. We had to cut her food into teeny tiny pieces or she would gag on it. She mostly got over it but even now at 9 she gags on the occasional piece of food, especially meat. She was never found to have any kind of swallowing issue or anything though.
Good luck :)

No real insight to offer, just hope that the explanation is a simple one -- teething like RiffRaffMama suggests, or perhaps a reaction to the medication. Regression can be a sign of stress or anxiety. Hope the doctors can provide some answers.

Thank you for the response. Don't think its teething. He struggles with anything lumpy or even cut into small pieces. He is Ok with pureed or sometimes large finger food he can take a bit off. Last time we saw his Paed she said said it was probably a development issue but yet another one which doesn't make sense as it comes and goes. Today he struggled this morning couldn't even eat his toast so licked the vegemite off it but just spoke to child care and they said he was OK at lunch. I will admit for awhile I thought he may have just been playing up for mummy but child care said they are concerned with it as what he does to them is not what they would call usual behaviour for an 18month old. Hopefull his Paed and Nureo can give us a better idea as to what is going on with our precious little man when we see them next week.
I am sure this is just another piece if the jig saw puzzle of working out what is going on with him but I will keep my eye out see if he does have a couple of new teeth appearing soon.

We experienced regression in several areas (language, fine motor, potty training) with seizures in our little guy, but don't remember eating (or being able to chew) being an issue. You might want to have him evaluated by either a speech therapist or occupational therapist (I think both will work with this area) and see what they think.

Back
Top Bottom