[Info] Ebike and E

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Cint

VIP
Supporter
Reaction score
Since I haven't been able to drive for ages now and I'm wanting to get outta "Dodge" this summer, I looked into an e-bike for transportation. There is a shop just down the street from me who sells all kinds of bikes, including e-bikes. So I went into the place to check it out and the owner told me that since I already have a 10 speed, he can make it into an ebike for a minimal fee. I found out that an e-bike is expensive and I don't have $1000.00's to invest in an e-bike. But for a few $100.00, he can convert it to an e-bike. I have all the other stuff for biking.

When I told my family, rather than being excited, they all questioned whether I should be "out on the road? What if I had a seizure?" I just looked at them and said, "Look, I've suffered from epilepsy for nearly 40 years now and don't ya think I've considered these things? I have been bike riding before and had an aura in enough time to get off the bike." My god, folks, don'tcha think I think/know about these things way before you do? GEEZ.........

Anyway, I'm getting my e-bike next week. The owner will give me lessons on how to operate it.

BTW, check this web out:

https://livingwellwithepilepsy.com/...ke-saved-the-day-for-one-mom-in-portland.html

Good on you Cint,
If biking makes you happy go for it. I know there is another member on here Court? who loves to ride his bike & doesnt let his epilepsy affect him. I know from the years Ive been on here that if one person who knows how to deal with their epilepsy its you :).

I was wondering what a ebike was so quickly looked at your link & did a quick google search. Is it just a bike with a motor? Ive seen them around.

I havent ridden a bike in over 20 years & for me I prefer to walk and find it gives me time to think. Ive had partials while walking but not for a while as lately most of my seizures are at home or some at work. My seizures have changed as now my auras are either very short or I dont have an aura at all & just space out straight into the complex partial.

Ive had people ask me why I dont drive (more in my old job when theyd see me walk to work) & Id say not interested then Id have people ask me why dont I get a push bike. So Id say nah not interested, I find walking more relaxing.

Sounds good to me, e bikes definitely take the grunt out of biking and make it easier to get around. Just make sure you protect the bike that much more from theft and rain. I'd say go for it! Plus if it gets you out more, it's definitely better. I bought a nice bike to get to work and only used it 3 months, heh.

The bike will definitely get me out more now that spring is approaching. I absolutely hate being home all the time and feel like I'm missing the beautiful sights of the Rocky Mountains. I've gotta get out and enjoy the weather and wonderland when I can.
I will make sure it is protected from the weather and theft. I even called my insurance office and asked about it. All is good.

Good luck and have fun! it's finally Spring here, so I know what you mean about taking advantage of the weather.

Great news! How exciting. I miss biking so much. E bikes sounds good too. When I get good adrenaline that can be a trigger. I miss it though. I used to exercise a lot. A LOT ! Yet! A friend of mine seized on his bike. He shattered his shoulder. He is like me though that a seizure just starts without warning. So if you can do it. Do. Congrats! And what a great bike shop.

Good luck and have fun! it's finally Spring here, so I know what you mean about taking advantage of the weather.
Hey Nak
Isnt it Spring over there but more like winter lmao. Ive seen posts & memes on fb where its been snowing & no one knows where the spring is.

We're the same here with our crazy Aussie weather lol, we started Autumn (fall) in March. It usually starts to cool down a bit in April but it's still warm. We had some rain yesterday so might finally cool down.

I hear that up in Massachusetts where Nak is, the weather is crazy like it is here in the Rockies. Yesterday it was nearly 80 degrees and windy!! Today the high is 45 degrees and it's been SNOWING off and on! Don't when I'll get to ride my bike.

Yes just like in CO, temps have been all over the place, but mostly colder than normal. Yesterday it hit 60 degrees, which is why I thought it might finally be Spring....

...except it was just a tease. Sunday it won't get much above freezing and we're expecting sleet! It will be a little bit warmer on Monday for the runners in the Boston marathon on Monday, but it will rainy and windy (30mph) all day.

To Cint, congrats on your endeavor! I compliment you for not letting others talk you out of your pursuit. The person that knows a patient’s epilepsy the best is the patient herself/himself. Great job!

I hear that up in Massachusetts where Nak is, the weather is crazy like it is here in the Rockies. Yesterday it was nearly 80 degrees and windy!! Today the high is 45 degrees and it's been SNOWING off and on! Don't when I'll get to ride my bike.

I've been getting out on my bicycle all month, the weather has definitely broken to summer time here. I still make a relatively 'cool' bike helmet look dorky though haha. I'm up in one of the canyons/foothills outside of Boulder & the weather has been beautiful.

Hi Aaron,
So, you're up in the Boulder area? Ahh.... it's beautiful up there. Have fun and stay safe!

Back
Top Bottom