Employment Ideas?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Christian6809

Reaction score
I need some assistance with getting a full time job. I currently work for an IT inbound call center and after having two seizures at work they have allowed me to work from home. It took roughly two years to get set up like this. I hate this job and the stress is very very bad. The only thing keeping me doing this is I get a 401k and it pays pretty good. Health insurance is through another source. I hate that the issue is the side effects of the meds where it slows my thinking but does enough to control the seizures. And no I can't work for myself, even if it would be nice to :)

I have a IT bachelor's degree from 2005 that I can't use anymore cause I want a career change.

Every possible place I've gone to just says "vocational training" but I dont have any interest in anything . I like having the 401k from a full. I keep on going downhill. Am I stuck getting a few part time jobs to make it equal in pay but lose the 401k? I wonder if I'll ever get a 401k again.

Last edited:
Hi Christian

I work in administration, I currently work as a reception / administration assistant for a cabinet maker. I’m in a similar situation with my own job at the moment.

I’ve only been there since end of November and noticed since I last saw my neuro in March my seizures have increased a lot. I have a feeling the stress at work is playing a lot on my seizures, for me it’s not the actual job but my boss . He isn’t a bad person but he is very hard to work for as he expects you to read his mind and just ends up arguing with you. I pretty much run the office which is stressful as well especially when there is no structure which I’m not used to lol

I was supposed to go back to see my neurologist in September at the epilepsy clinic but because my seizures have increased I managed to get an appt in a couple weeks time.
I’m now at the stage where sometimes I wonder if it’s worth being in a job if the stress is affecting my epilepsy should I keep working there but I’m waiting until I see my neuro and neuropsychologist before I decide what to do. Problem is it’s not easy getting work, especially with employers who understand the epilepsy.

I live in Australia so little bit different here but what is the 401k?

Last edited:
It's a portion of money a company takes out of every paycheck that you can pull out in the future for retirement when you're older

It's a portion of money a company takes out of every paycheck that you can pull out in the future for retirement when you're older
Thanks
So its like what we call Superannuation fund?

Over here when you work your employer has to pay you super, that comes out of your wages as well as your tax. Because the government is making the pension age higher & higher (not sure but might be late 60s to get aged pension) the idea of super is you can eventually use it when you are at retiremnt age. I've never liked super, it confuses the hell out of me lol. I just leave it up to the bookeepers I work with or my accountant

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

I would work on a current big league software cert.

Something like SAP, Adobe, Oracle, etc. You **Should** be able to work from home, you should find something that pays well & you shouldnt have too hard of a time because a of a legit 4yr degree and then this recent cert for the software/IT industry should be a solid education.

I would really think twice about leaving that job. If you can work from home and you have a good pay and a 401k you are set. I wish I had that right now.

I'm stuck looking for a new job after I quit a job due to depression back in December (my choice, but whatever). I DID have a nice job where I could work from home, but I was working in academia... so making peanuts, although I did score a trip to Peru (I'm writing this post from the Peruvian amazon). Between being laid off previously and quitting this last job, I've now sunk so far into debt that I have no choice but to work, or I eventually will have to go into bankruptcy and that is NOT an option. I basically have no assets but my 401ks and IRA.

Keep the job you have, especially if you are doing well at it. Unless the stress is really that bad that it is causing you health problems. If it is, see if you can cut down on hours or take vacation time or a sabbatical (*temporary* leave). But quitting should be a last resort unless absolutely necessary in my opinion. I've learned the hard way.

Last edited:
I understand that leaving the job is not the ideal and wouldn't leave or cut hours to it unless it was detrimental to my health. I did leave the previous job due to mental health though.

It's only how long can I last doing this job. If I cut back the hours then I'm technically not full time anymore so nothing goes to the 401k.

This WAS supposed to be a temporary until I got my Medical Coding/Billing certificate to be out of IT but still use some aspects of it, then realized after graduaton that this won't be the job for me (go figure)

Unfortunately I do NOT want to do IT anymore and also want a new career not tied to a phone. If I have to lose the 401k then I do going part time but would prefer not to.

Feel like I will have to resort to a few part time jobs rather than a full time job. Just seems like I keep going backwards.

Last edited:
I completed my bachelors degree with a double major in IT and economics, but could only use it for about a year. I graduated, & I began having complex partials within a year. During one, I almost fell onto the tracks at the train station.

If 401k is just money from your own paycheck then make an account and have some money feomeach paycheck go into it. Savings accounts get returns though I don't know more then that. Things like that can be set automatically in most banks. If there is more to the 401k well I really don't know anything about it. Neither of my parents have one and I'm looking for a job after recently graduating so it hadn't appeard in my life yet. But if you save what you would spend say on like Starbucks in a month, it ads up. Hope this gives you ideas!! I'm not certain y health will allow me to work full time, so I don't know if I'll ever experience 401ks.......

401ks usually are pre-tax, which is why you can't just use your own savings account instead. Also, most employers give contribution match as incentive to contribute (like free money), so it's very different from a savings account. 401k funds are typically invested in mutual funds or stocks as well.

Anyone have any experience with work at home agencies? I want the freedom of a freelancer but don't want to be tied to call center phones anymore (ive been tied to phones for 15+ years now). I understand the wage decrease and converting to a roth 401k. Going from a degree full time job to a low pay part time job isn't fun. I have responsibilities :(

You will just need to look for remote position. They are out there, but you are really going to have to look.

You may take a pay cut as well. But this is what id be looking for.

Back
Top Bottom