Employment?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

When I stated College I wanted to teach Spec Ed. As I was a Spec Ed student my whole life. I contacted the local school system and asked if they were in need of any spec ed teachers. Oh Yes, Please send us your resume. We have incentives.......
The next day I called and asked if they had any Sped Ed openings and asked them if my E would be an issue..... They weren't hiring at the time.
So I went from teaching, which I still want to do but probably at the college level to psych. LOL

I work at UPS, part-time early morning scanning packages. I don't ever plan on driving for the company due to the stress that would bring on and the fact that I occasionally still get a simple from time to time. I'm hoping I can land a job at my dad's employer with a full-time position. They have excellent benefits and would pay me enough to live on my own. Being only 20 I'll definitely take that! I'm tired of living at home but the pay at UPS just doesn't cut it :(

congrats on all of you all who have jobs.
I know my seizures are stress related, I have problems explaining things to people sometimes. and I have always liked higher risk jobs, most of which are not an option now

I work really hard controlling the stress and the anger from life, but I still have seizures fairly often mild and large.

I know that if i got a job, i would lose state assistance, they pay for docs and drugs, and my drugs cost more than rent in some places I have stayed. so it benifits me it seems like. but I dont know what to do with myself. it is weird not having structure during the day.

congrats on all of you all who have jobs.
I know my seizures are stress related, I have problems explaining things to people sometimes. and I have always liked higher risk jobs, most of which are not an option now

I work really hard controlling the stress and the anger from life, but I still have seizures fairly often mild and large.

I know that if i got a job, i would lose state assistance, they pay for docs and drugs, and my drugs cost more than rent in some places I have stayed. so it benifits me it seems like. but I dont know what to do with myself. it is weird not having structure during the day.

I hear you on the stress thing. Lack of sleep is also something that accumulates into my "aura days" as I call them. Have you tried a gluten free diet? Although I've been on it for 8 months, save a few accidents, my auras have lessened in frequency and intensity and I can find words a whole lot easier and communicate better. Good luck!

this is my first week, no fast food what so ever. it is weird being out running errands and stuff, and not being able to stop and eat just because i was hungry. And no more dirty chinese joints. shucks
still trying to figure out how to watch my blood sugar. I have eaten so many powerbars over the past few years.:p

but i haven't had a seizure in ages. and i am running and cycling again.
If i make it through the the week. more intense work out, and we see whats next.

Last edited:
I just completed college and looking for work. I am visually and hearing impaired where it does effect communication and mobility. I have complex partial seizures and use a guide dog/seeing eye dog. I also have assistance from the government SSI. I have Medicaid insurance which pays for everything but if you do get a job and make a specific dollar amout, I too would loose the insurance part of it. With Medicaid you can make up to $1700 a month I think. Or if you do get a job while have Medicaid or Medicare, you can use the "Buy in Program" where you purchase Medicaid for yourself like any other insurance program. Look online and find the main page for Social Security Administration office or website. You might consider talking to an SSI counselor unless you have one already.

Take care,
Crystal

Back
Top Bottom