epilepsy and brain surgery... natashas story

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

qtowngirl

CWE Supporter/E Hater
Supporter
Reaction score
safe to say this has been an overwhelming experience, for the good.
video is finalized and sent out to donaters across the province; have had a few donations already. so surreal and going to take quite some time for me to realize I pulled this off.

my lesion was found on valentine's day 2011, and surgery was mentioned three weeks later. was devastated and in immediate denial that I 'might' actually need part of my brain removed. in a mental place I can't describe, I sought every answer possible and around that time joined cwe; had never been on a forum before and had no idea what it would bring.
did I need help? I guess. did I need to vent? most likely. was it one of the best decisions i'll ever make? yes, beyond.
it wasn't long after I was in the seizure investigation unit that mel's (2ndchances on here) seizures came back after almost 11 years free from her first brain surgery. she joined here while facing a 2nd surg, right at the time when I was facing my first. there is only one word for this... FATE.
she gave me the courage and I said yes, so did she, and we went through surgery together. if I hadn't joined this site I don't know that i'd be sitting here with a scar, missing part of my left side, and having my life back for over a year.
in july Vancouver general asked if I could do a donation letter and video for this year's campaign, and through much fear of being on camera, I went for it, entirely to help others. those of us with e know that's how it goes and why we're all here... for each other.
hugs and thanks again *tears* everyone for going through this journey with me for the past three years...

http://vghfoundation.ca/stories/natashas-story/

ps- I only have one request, this stays on the forum (no facebook etc.), is way too personal for the world to see. xxx.

Wow has it been a year already? Congratulations Nat for continuing your seizure-free journey, and making this video so that others can have a chance to do so as well. :)

Hi Nat, it's been a while! I will look at the link later, but I'm sure it's great. I just wanted to say hi and give you a big virtual hug in case I get too busy to do it later. Congrats on the seizure-free year. (time goes sooo fast, doesn't it?) Love ya!

PS, I'll treat you to lunch at Mr. Mikes. Whaddaya say? :)

Last edited:
oh arn ;) i'm famous now so it's gonna take a lot more than a burger and steak joint hahahahaha.

I know the River Rock doesn't have the best food, but maybe if you get liquored up there you will care less about your newfound fame and allow yourself to consort with the unwashed masses. NOW are you on board? :)

Nat, your video is awesome! Thank you for having the courage to do it and sharing your struggles to help others.

~Nancy~

Nat,
Congrats on being over a year seizure free.
Well done on the video, it was amazing :).

Nat,
What can I say ...... congratulations on a epilepsy / seizure free year!!

hi pieter, and thanks :)

i'm just past the two year mark and as sad as it is i am not seizure free anymore, but in no way regret having the surg. a few partials here and there (and levels of exhaustion i am not programmed to handle :(), are easier than seizing every few days like before.
there's also cognitive issues and considerable short-term memory loss, but all that aside, it was worth it. no grand mals either woooo-hoooooo!

going to up the meds soon and hope for the best, there hasn't been an adjustment since before surg so i may just need a little pick-me-up.
hugs, nat.

You go girl.

I saw the video, it demonstrates your strength, and you have made the gift of showing your battle.
Thank you for this privilege and you keep fighting.

We are all in different situations.
The personal fight with epilepsy continues for some.
X

You go girl.

I saw the video, it demonstrates your strength, and you have made the gift of showing your battle.
Thank you for this privilege and you keep fighting.

We are all in different situations.
The personal fight with epilepsy continues for some.
X

*tears* thanks girl, very sweet.

:hugs:

Back
Top Bottom