epilepsy and driving

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

kimba

New
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I was wondering if anyone knew the NY state rules for getting your license re-instated? I surrendered it but I don't know if you have to take the written and road tests again or you just go to DMV and get it back with permission from the Doctor. If anyone knows? I called DMV but was on hold forever!
Thank you!!!

I hope you get your license back. I don't miss driving. I haven't driven for ten years or more.

Hi Kimba

Is it 1 year or 2 years you have to be seizure free? That varies state to state, but here in MN, it's really stringent and its 2 years. It would be something your neurologist or epileptologist could answer easily for you.

I went 23 yrs seizure free and I was of the strong opinion that if I were to have an "aura" or get that feeling just before a grande-mal while I was driving, I would be able to pull over in plenty of time, but since found out that it's like playing Russian Roulette, I was fooling myself. I had a minor incident in a parking lot and as a result, I had my licence suspended.I still drove for 2 yrs but I was just lucky that nothing happened. After driving my whole adult life and then having my licence stripped away, I felt like part of my freedom was taken away. It could happen at ANY time and you won't have time to pull over. So again I ask you is it worth the gamble?

I'm sorry but I have a problem with people who have a KNOWN seizure condition and continue to drive and then there's me who has a siezure condition that has been under control for 25 yrs and I've had mine suspended. To me that seems very irresponsible.

I am also on disability for my epilepsy and ulcerative colitis so I really don't need to drive but I'd like to have that freedom again.
Your certainly better off not to take the chance. IMO
It's a huge trade-off and big decision to make but a responsible one.

Most people are of the opinion that "that will never happen to me." Well it seems to be happening more often than ever. It seems that the Ministry of transport is getting too leniant.

You could go several years seizure free, then all of a sudden something could trigger another one without any warning. This happens all too often out of greed and the need to drive. Sometimes the seizure activity will not show up in any EEG,CAT scan, MRI etc and you'll think you're fine. In My Opinion you're acting very selfish and you're taking a huge chance.

Randy

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom