Epilepsy and Employment

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

RanMan

Too Much Experience with Epilepsy
Reaction score
Did you know that it is a proven fact that epilectics are generally better employees? So employers should be more than willing to hire an epileptic. (unless it's really severe)
They have better attendance because they think they're being watched by their superiors who are expecting them to take lots of sick days.

They work harder and have a better production rate for the same reason. Everyone is just waiting for you to screw up.
But they're still outcasts, Everbody thinks the're different but actually they're more compssionate.

We have to continue to do more to educate the public about epilepsy or seizure conditions because we're still viewed as outcasts or bad people (possessed by satin).

The general public are basically SCARED of us, if we have a seizure in front of them, they will be embarrassed and won't know what to do.

Randy (Ontario, Canada)

RanMan said:
Did you know that it is a proven fact that epilectics are generally better employees?

Who proved it? It would be interesting to read the research.

RanMan said:
... Everyone is just waiting for you to screw up.

In a corporate environment, this is true of everyone, E or no, IMO.

RanMan said:
But they're still outcasts,

Sorry Randy, but I think this generalization should be challenged. Stacy is a very engaging extrovert (look out whenever she takes a shine on the whole forum thing). She is never an outcast in any group of people, including all the people she has worked with and worked for over the years. A lot of how people treat you is dependent upon how you perceive (and carry) yourself, IMO.

Bernard, Very interesting point about how you carry yourself BUT if people remain uneducated about it, the rumors start to flow in the workplace and even if other employees HEAR the word epilepsy, then you have that stigma attached to you and you start to hear people talking about you behind your back, no matter how well you carry yourself or how well you get along with co-workers or how good you do your job.
There is still a lot of public awareness needed.(I talk from 30 yrs experience)
Re: documented fact that epileptics make better employees: I'll try to find that document for you to read. (it was in the Canadian Medical Journal from 1986 so I don't know if I can find a copy)

Randy

Cheers Randy. I agree that awareness is needed, however, speaking from personal experience, I knew nothing about E before I met my wife. There were *no* negative thoughts or stigma attached to it - just ignorance. Don't assume the worst for unheard whispers. That's just a projection of your own psychological issues surrounding E, IMO.

I found the Canadian Medical Association Journal on-line, but did not find anything related to epilepsy and employment. I did find articles dating back to 1979 though.

I have to agree with Bernard on this one. I think it is all in how you present yourself, and your epilepsy. I like stacey am an extrovert, and have no trouble in groups of people and have never felt like I was an outcast of any sort.( although I was fired from a job once for having a seizure, but he was an ass) When I do tell people I made it like it's no big deal, and it's just something that happens once in a while. Now, granted I don't have TC seizures, I have CP. So even when I do have seizures they are not quite a scary, but they can through people for a loop.
Elisa

I can tell you for about 2 years I wallpapered and faux painted and made window treatments for people. I worked for myself, or sub-contracted there for was by myself most of the time. So it was no skin of anybodies back if I had a seizure or two. But, I guess not all epileptic could do this because I did spend a lot of time on a ladder. I don't fall, or ever stop what I'm doing when I have a seizure, I just don't remember doing what I have done. Granted sometimes I have to go looking for tools or make sure that my pattern on the wallpaper is going the right way :?
The down fall to this work is it is A LOT of work, and I got very lonely. I'm a "people" person and can't stand being all alone all day.
My favorite job was working in a call center, doing customer service. Lots and lots of people not to mention I got to talk ALL day long. :D There is nothing like solving other peoples problems.
Elisa

Bernard and Elisa,
Well I can see from reading your replies to this post that it appears that people with seizure conditions are treated better in the states than up here in Canada. We still carry around that "stigma". :( :(

Randy

Randy, that may well be. I have not had the pleasure of visiting Canada yet, although I've been to many other corners of the world.

The best way to eliminate ignorance or prejudice is to shine the light of truth on it IMO. We all hold the keys to changing the world around us.

I was let go from a part-time job when I was a teenager. I was alright, I didn't really enjoy working in a small store in a mall anyway. I remember having a good conversation with a co-employer, getting to know him and his family-run store better - and somewhere I mentioned my epilepsy, explained it was not fatal. The next day, I get a call from his sister saying that I am not needed. I questioned, and she said that they thought she needed another employee, but was wrong. It all made no sense. From then on I decided to disclose my epilepsy from my employees and employers, at least until the 3 month probation period is over. Even though I didn't care much for the job, it was a real eye-opener how easily this subject can turn people off and react to future situations that they may think might happen.

Elisa said:
I have to agree with Bernard on this one. I think it is all in how you present yourself, and your epilepsy. I like stacey am an extrovert, and have no trouble in groups of people and have never felt like I was an outcast of any sort.( although I was fired from a job once for having a seizure, but he was an ass) When I do tell people I made it like it's no big deal, and it's just something that happens once in a while. Now, granted I don't have TC seizures, I have CP. So even when I do have seizures they are not quite a scary, but they can through people for a loop.
Elisa
:D

What I enjoy about these sites is all the different reactions to the subject. My experience in the workplace has been postive for the most part. I can't confirm any negative thoughts from others due to my siezures. At first I didn't mention what I was dealing with and hid it the best I could. I worked in commercial drywall and had to do things I should not have been doing. It took time to realize that there were other options and to trust that how I worked what supercede a personal challenge. I worked for Habitat for Humanity for several years, first as a volunteer, then as a paid employee. They knew what I had to offer before hiring me and were always supportive. I was one of the construction supervisor and had to lead groups, so if I had a bad day someone else would step in and help. I know you may not always find this kind of support, but i think for the most part people are willing to help. I'm sure there will always be those that remain ignorant or afraid of something outside their box, but that's probabaly true in all situations. If you show what you are made of and not let this uninvited challenge interfere then the resulting work situation can be great.
I just finished my teaching degree and hope to teach or work for Habitat again. I waiting for the activation of an experimental drug that worked wonders for me. Until then I continue to work construction related jobs and make sculptures that I sell and various stores. It would be nice to make a living doing that but so far thats not happening. I guess with what we deal with it takes more thought and determination to succeed. Steve

Hi Steve & chisel, welcome to the forums!

You are right Steve, everyone's story is different.

perception is the key

I agree with the majority here. It starts with how you perceive yourself, and then others will see you the same way.

I was the Safety, Health, and Environmental Supervisor/Manager for 5 years at a company called Vopak, Inc. (They are also part of Empak, and Paktank). These are treatment, storage, and disposal facilities specializing in Hazardous Waste. I love Toxicology, and was also an EMT for a time (I let the certification lapse). As an Industrial Hygienist, I basically made sure that no one was currently in danger, or could become that way in the future. I stopped climbing the corporate ladder, as Bern and I decided to start a family with me as the "stay at home mom". I have kept in touch with these people, and could get a job there at the corporate level any time.

Walk with your head held high, your shoulders back, a smile on your face and a song in your heart. Say hello to everyone you meet, and never look down.

:D

What I enjoy about these sites is all the different reactions to the subject. My experience in the workplace has been postive for the most part. I can't confirm any negative thoughts from others due to my siezures. At first I didn't mention what I was dealing with and hid it the best I could. I worked in commercial drywall and had to do things I should not have been doing. It took time to realize that there were other options and to trust that how I worked what supercede a personal challenge. I worked for Habitat for Humanity for several years, first as a volunteer, then as a paid employee. They knew what I had to offer before hiring me and were always supportive. I was one of the construction supervisor and had to lead groups, so if I had a bad day someone else would step in and help. I know you may not always find this kind of support, but i think for the most part people are willing to help. I'm sure there will always be those that remain ignorant or afraid of something outside their box, but that's probabaly true in all situations. If you show what you are made of and not let this uninvited challenge interfere then the resulting work situation can be great.
I just finished my teaching degree and hope to teach or work for Habitat again. I waiting for the activation of an experimental drug that worked wonders for me. Until then I continue to work construction related jobs and make sculptures that I sell and various stores. It would be nice to make a living doing that but so far thats not happening. I guess with what we deal with it takes more thought and determination to succeed. Steve

In these kind of jobs, how did you get to the site, did you drive or did someone get you there? I mean epileptics aren't allowed to drive.

- Scatterbrain 28.....epileptics are allowed to drive where I live if all seizures that involve any loss of consciousness are controlled. Mine are but thanks to medication and I only have a few twitches and occasionally some deja vu's at this time. My Neurologist approves and I don't risk lives any more than anyone else.

Back
Top Bottom