Epilepsy/employment/driving/ and busybodies!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Birdbomb

VNS Guru
Reaction score
A member on my site and I have been sharing e-mails. She has a serious problem and came to me for advice. I have asked her permisssion to share her emails and she very willingly gave it (she has been here but not registered yet)

I will also include my response but what I am looking for is more input for her. So okay guys, let's brainstorm! (but hold the seizures)

1st email

I have a qt. for you related to work and epilepsy. What's been your experience when individuals inform employers/companys that the person has epilepsy? I work in the school system and I have two friends who know pushing me to inform my supervisor of my condition. I got my VNS 7/2006 and I'm still having seizures. It use to be about four a year but as I've got older it has gone up. Now I'm having maybe six to ten a year;last one on 6/29/07 and a follow up 7/3/07. I think it will back fire! I know about ADA. I'm looking for someone with experience who has talked with others and what has happened when they have talked with their work. Look forward to hearing from you!
Sorry I did make a copy of my reply

2nd email

Birdbomb
I just have some more questions or concerns about informing my boss that I have epilepsy. I wrote you on 8/1/07 about this. I work in the education field. I drive to a couple of schools per a day. The drives are short given the town I live in is small. My job requires that I travel to these schools. One individual who has been a friend for several years is now threatening me-if I don't get documentation from the doctor that I can drive she is going to my boss. I work with this person and she has helped if I have had a seizure. I've had no seizures at work. Most of my seizures are at night while sleeping. My last seizure was 7/3/07. In GA the law is six most seizure free to drive. If I knew this individual was going to do this I would have kept everything hidden. I almost feel I need to spend my time consulting with a lawyer rather than trying to get info. from the doctor. I'm upset this is being forced down my throat.
Any advice?

My reply

It sounds like you are getting a royal screw from someone pretending to be a friend..... She needs to be told a few facts of life

1. If the fine state of Georgia see fit to allow you to drive then it NOT her business.
2 If your neruo thought you should not drive, he is obligated by law to report that to the DMV of your state, NOT her.
3. If she threatens you again, or interfers with your right to work, you will be seeking legal action against her.

Here are some links from the EFA

Employment Issues

Driver Licensing

Legal Defense

Lately several other people have had work related problems and I have heard good report from the EFA local chapters helping them. Please contact them. The issues you have are escalating by some nosy busybody who needs to mind her own business.

I hope this can help you. If you don't mind, I'd like to post your email on another forum. Coping with Epilepsy. I am a Global Mod and there is a terriific membership of very intelegent and informed people who may have even better answers for you.

Her last email

Thanks for the info.
You can post my email on Coping with Epilepsy. I've been on that board but have not joined.
Thanks

Stacy managed to become seizure free for 4 years about the time she finished college and started her career. She never had any issues with seizures and work. She quit her career to stay home when we decided to start having children. Consequently, we never had to face this issue when her seizures returned after delivering children.

I have seen several discussions in the EFA forums over the years from teachers in the public school system who have faced this issue, but I honestly can't remember what the outcome was for them. I'd think that being a public sector employee, she would probably have better protection from discrimination than if she were in the private sector, but there are no guarantees in life.

I would guess that, pressed to make a formal decision (ie. on the record), a neuro is going to make a decision "by the book" to protect himself from liability. He'd be more interested in his business than the patient's mitigating circumstances (call me cynical). The doc is likely not going to help her out IMO.

I think her best bet is to consult with a private lawyer or someone on the EFA legal team.

229286de.jpg

**note to the BOSS : need a "bump" smilie or Mod menu to bump topic pleazzzzzze!

Last edited:
You gave her great advice Donna,her friend is not her friend . Whats done is done she should take her distance from her and speak to a lawyer. Wish her the best of luck for me. Nite szs is not the same as tonic clonic during the day ,her Dr may very well protect
her.

Riva

Sweet! Thanks Mr. B!:brock:

:soap:Now to get people to respond......pleazzzzzzzzzzzzeee!!!
:noevil:

Back
Top Bottom