epilepsy from residual scar tissue on brain after brain surgery

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

pab86

New
Reaction score
hi
i have epilepsy 10 years from residual scar tissue on brain to remove a tumor from the pineal gland. Has anyone had a similar experience????

ill make appointment with my neurologist to see if im applicable but im considering surgery to remove the scar thus curing my epilepsy.

please check the link on my profile

I would have thought that any brain operation would leave a scar the way removing your tumour left a scar.

As Eric says, the process of removing the scar usually creates a new one, so it wouldn't necessarily cure your epilepsy. If you are referred to a neurosurgeon, ask a lot of questions -- make sure you find out what the risks are as well as the success rates.

make sure you find out what the risks are as well as the success rates.

When asking success rates make sure you know more than just percentages. Remember that two thirds could be just 2 out of 3 or 400 out of 600 and that makes a big difference in the validity of a study.

Also ask how long after the operation they stopped monitoring things & considered it a success. I saw a documentary where the doctor claimed a very high success rate (it may have even been 100) but they only monitored the patients until 6 months after the operation and many peoples troubles return after 6 months.

As Eric says, the process of removing the scar usually creates a new one, so it wouldn't necessarily cure your epilepsy.
Nak,
You & Eric have answered a question I've had friends wonder about for a while lol.

After I had my surgery I had a couple of friends ask me wouldn't the neurosurgeons have caused more scarring when they removed the original scarring on my brain & wouldn't the new scarring which would be from the neurosurgeons cause more seizures?

I assumed there would've had to have been a little scarring after the neurosurgeons removed the original scarring & the dead brain tissue. I don't know if the new scarring would cause seizures again & I always knew the surgery was another treatment to help with my seizures & not a cure so if I do have more seizures then that is a part of life.

Last edited:
I was initially told I had epilepsy due to scar tissue from an old stroke. However, my diagnosis is now in question, which is a very long, and another story. (I still think I have epilepsy, but it may mixed with pnes.) The bottom line, is that my neurologist told me scar tissue in a brain can, at times, cause seizure activity. It is not super common, and I have heard that sometimes surgery can fix it. There are always risks, so make sure you discuss with your doctor ask the pros and cons. I just know that seizures stink! Good luck with whatever you do or don't do.

Hi

My son has scar tissue on his pineal gland also after surgery to remove a tumor in 2004. Could you please tell me what symptoms you got before you found out you had epilepsy? My son was diagnosed with pseudo seizures in 2016 due to anxiety and stress after an accident but had passed out at a sports carnival previous to this. We are waiting for an appointment to see a Neurologist. Any information would be great.

The simple partials I've had since childhood are basically the result of scar tissue--I was a forceps delivery, & it left some on my brain's right side. They couldn't be recognized as seizures until one happened during an EEG (done after the tonic clonics I had).
I get an odd, hard to describe feeling that usually starts at the lower back of my head, & spreads up and to the front. Recently, I've had some other weird feelings, as well. I normally close my eyes & lower my head--the seizure's over within 5 minutes max.

Hi Kim,
I have scar tissue on the right temporal lobe which caused absence and complex partial seizures for me. Before I started to have seizures I had wicked migraine headaches when I was about 10 yrs. old (almost 57 now). I also had surgery to reduce my seizures a few yrs. ago. Now I get a nervous feeling in my stomach and I see colors flashing back and forth in my eyes right before a seizure starts if I tighten up all my muscles and make my hands into tight fists quick enough it stops the seizure. My neuro back in the 1970's taught me to do this. Years ago I was told I was having pseudo seizures but they weren't the problem was I had damage so deep in my brain that no tests would show anything it wasn't until they did brain surgery that they saw the damage deep in my brain. This may be what's going on with your son. I wish you and your family the best of luck and May God Bless All of You!

Sue

hi
i have epilepsy 10 years from residual scar tissue on brain to remove a tumor from the pineal gland. Has anyone had a similar experience????

ill make appointment with my neurologist to see if im applicable but im considering surgery to remove the scar thus curing my epilepsy.

please check the link on my profile

I had gone through something similar but in my case I had a scar that was created on the Left Temporal Lobe after having a 104 degree fever as an infant. With my case, only so much of the scar could be removed without damage to other matters because of the location as there would be things like memory loss and other issues to take place. The neurosurgeon opted for the best and safest of surgeries for my health and life.

I highly suggest to ask questions to your neurosurgeon which direction they choose to take that as the safest for you. I write down questions when going to see my neuro and place them onto my smart phone. I hope I have been some help to you. I will keep you in my positive thoughts that all works out for you and please keep us posted. I wish you the best of health on this!
-Sue

I would have thought that any brain operation would leave a scar the way removing your tumour left a scar.

A scar formed from a fever after obtaining the Diptheria shot. Over time neuromas can and/or do form from this type of surgical procedure. I did not have a tumor. I'm not sure where you got that thought. :twocents:

As Eric says, the process of removing the scar usually creates a new one, so it wouldn't necessarily cure your epilepsy. If you are referred to a neurosurgeon, ask a lot of questions -- make sure you find out what the risks are as well as the success rates.

The pain neurologist has no plans to physically touch the current scar to lift or scrape it. The only thing that will be done is use of a shot to decrease the size of these neuromas causing the trouble. Prior to all this taking place she will be in contact with my brain neurologist. It is already being worked out. :tup: My neurosurgeon will be getting highly involved with this matter if ever we need to go that direction as he was the person who gave the notation there was signs of something like this happening. For now I'm not concerned and I am in good hands with the person I am working with.

Last edited:
I had brain surgery at 9 years old to remove an AVM and aneurysm
I started having seizure again around 1997 due to scar tissue. I just had surgery
yo remove the damaged part of my RTL and hippocampus. As of today, I'm 6mos seizure free.

Back
Top Bottom