epilepsy meds & chronic kidney disease

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Emee

Stalwart
Reaction score
Has anyone here had to come off of or change their epilepsy med because of CKD? I've been taking Neurontin for years for partial seizures & migraines without any problem. The last few years my dosage has been reduced to almost nothing yet now I've been diagnosed with kidney disease. Doctors have not said Neurontin caused it but I can't help wonder if it did because for years I took a high dose but my blood test always showed good. I don't feel I can stop Neurontin completely. Anyone had this problem with their meds? Thanks.

Hi Emee,

I've had kidney stones and kidney infection thanks to some of the seizure meds I've taken in the past like tegretol and Trileptal. When I was
on Neurontin it didn't cause kidney problems but it made my seizures really bad they went from absence to absence status seizures so I had
to go off the drug immediately. Start drinking a lot of cranberry juice and drink a lot of fluids especially water this is what my Dr. told me to
do and the kidney stones passed. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

Neurontin doesn't cause kidney disease. However, if you have or develop kidney disease you need to be careful when taking Neurontin. This is because Neurontin is eliminated through the kidneys -- and if your kidneys aren't functioning properly, then Neurontin can potentially end up in your system at a toxic level.

Thanks goodness no kidney stones or infections yet just decreased function. Thanks for replies.

Back
Top Bottom