epilepsy post brain surgery

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

pipie12

New
Reaction score
Hello everyone! well i havent been diagnosed with epilepsy yet but am having an EEG this wk after having 2 tonic clonic seizures in the past 6 months.
2.5 yrs ago I was diagnosed with NF2 which means i develop benin tumours (meningiomas) in my brain and on my spine...Ive had a couple removed the most significant one was about the size of a golf ball sitting in my right occipital lobe that had been causing extreme headaches for 7 yrs.
Since the removal of this meningioma I have had no dramas with my health yet 2.5 yrs later I start having seizures...weird so my neurosurgeon says i might have epilepsy...Im not scared with the diagnosis im just trying to find out as much as i can about epilepsy and the best ways to manage it ie diet, meds, lifestyle factors.
Both of my seizures were pretty scary one of them happened when i was in the water at the beach after going for a 30 min run when i started to lose vision in my left visual field (the area affected from the tumour i had removed) and was feeling really unwell with thoughts of impending doom so i crawled to the shore and called for help.
The other time i had finished night duties and was drinking with friends and started having weird hallucinations so i took a shower and again had this feeling of impending doom so i called out to my friend who was able to protect me from putting my limbs thru the glass door of the shower...so in all i have pretty significant auras that give me a little bit of warning but id prefer to just try and prevent them from ever happening again! so is there anyone out there who has had similar experiences and has some advice??? like what meds work for you? wot books should i read? wot diet should i follow?
Cheers guys i look forward to hearing from you and reading everyone else's threads :0

Hi pipie12, welcome to CWE! We have quite a few Aussie members, so you're in good company...

It sound like the surgery may have cause a little scarring that has made you vulnerable to seizures. If medication is the next step, there are quite a few to choose from. They ALL can have side effects, and what works for one person may be horrid for someone else. So while I could recommend a particular drug (I'm on Lamictal), there's no guarantee that it would sit well with you. Best course is to ask a lot of questions about whatever the neurologist recommends so you know what to expect. (And keep asking questions here, too).

Once you start having seizures, it's a good idea to be proactive with your overall health and do your best to avoid things that might lower your seizure threshold. There's some good info here to get you started, as well as dietary approaches to consider: http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f22/proactive-prescription-epilepsy-1254/

A decent book to check out is "Epilepsy: A New Approach" [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Epilepsy-New-Approach-Adrienne-Richard/dp/0802774652"]Epilepsy: A New Approach: Adrienne Richard, Joel Reiter: 9780802774651: Amazon.com: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51p9fv6oOYL.@@AMEPARAM@@51p9fv6oOYL[/ame]

Best,
Nakamova

Cheers Nakamova and epileric for your advice its still early days so will be talking more with my neurologist once i have the EEG done (which is tomorrow)....I've heard they try to induce seizures during the EEG is this correct???
I'll definately be checking out that book it sounds very appropriate!Thanks for the welcome!
pipie12

They definitely do things that might provoke seizures during an EEG.

I've been asked to breathe as fast & as deep as possible for a minute (or was it 90 seconds) as well as being asked to close my eyes while they flash a strobe at various speeds and see if that makes any sort of change in neural firing.

I'm assuming I had seizures during mine, but not my usual tonic clonic. Mine was years ago and numerous seizures involving a concussion. I think they also asked me a few other questions like math, although it might be something else related to your job or school experience. The other question I just forgot, sorry it's late.
Try and keep a E diary, there are a few webistes to help you do this.
Sleep well, oops Sorry, you're just getting up.
Best of Luck!

Back
Top Bottom