Epilepsy Surgery

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Status
Not open for further replies.

maggie

New
Reaction score
my epilepsy surgery

Hi, my Name is Margaret & I had epilepsy suegery last year at St. Vincent's hospital, Melbourne, Australia. My neurologist is Professor Mark Cook of Melbourne. OK, here we go, since my surgery last year( July 28,2005 ) everything has been going well. I am almost weaned off most of my meds (Valporate-finished!, Dilantin nearly finished, 3weeks to go!) & I will be staying on Tegretol for a while longer ( only 2 tablets /day, a bit of difference to the 14 tablets/day I was on!! ) I don't think I could have asked for a better result.
I am back driving & more confident in everything I do. WOW, what a difference!! I just wanted everyone to know that ther is hope sometimes. I put up with the side effects etc. for so long but I found the courage ( with a lot of support & encouragement, especially from my hubby )& the right neuro to get something done about it. I know surgery is not the answer for everybody, but if it is possible, please consider it. PLEASE don't wait as long as I did!! Surgery techniques have advanced so much in the last few years my surgery would probably have taken longer to recover from or not been posible at all!! As it was I went into hospital on the Wednesday night for my first surgery the next day (July 21st,2005) when a grid was placed on my brain! I was kept in hospital for a week & my brain was mapped & I had many tests etc. while there. The following Thursday (July 28th, 2005) I was back in surgery to have the grid & a small section of my brain removed. The second part of the second op took part while I was AWAKE!! I had to be awake so I could respond to certain instructions so that they knew they were not out working too close to the wrong area ( the site was close to the area used for speech etc.) Everthing went well & I was discharged from hospital 5 days after the second operation!! I was home & resting ( the rest lasted for a few days anyway!)in less than the 2-3 weeks that my neuro told me to expect it to take!
If you are contemplating surgery, I say go for it! Just make sure you know what the risks are. PLEASE.
Does your E have a great effect on your life or the life of your family? Think before you act. Weigh up the pros & cons. Drugs are not always the answer, but sometimes the E is worse than the side effects of the drugs! Consider carefully, whichever way you decide to go, PLEASE.

Hi Maggie, welcome to the forums! :hello:

It's always great to read about a success story. Most folks don't take the time to share them in forums like this. Thank you. :clap:

Wow Maggie - That is WONDERFUL!! I am SO very happy for you and offer many thanks for passing on the good news.

Mine is "sort of" the same... :?
On July 28, 2005 an MRI showed a brain tumor in my left temporal lobe that was probably causing my seizures so the docs started a series of tests.
Feb, 14, '06 I went to hospital early in the morning and they started the "fast, easy" surgery (that's how my neurosurgeon described my surgery) to remove the tumor and a piece of my hippocampus because the tumor rested against it. I was home on the morning of Feb. 16.
I haven't had a seizure since then.
Surgery for some of us is almost like a miracle. I realize that it's not an option for all but it's worth checking into.

hey maggie, i just wanted to share that i had my surgery done some months back. and since then things have been looking up for me. i have not had any seizures since and gradually i was told that i could reduce the tablets i was taking too. my surgery was done at theJD Healthcare:Brain & Spine Hospital and i went through the usual series of tests and diagnosis and was accepted for surgery.

life looks much brighter to me now and i can finally feel like a normal person!

hi merlotte, where is the hospital you spoke of in you post?? Sorry, I don't know that one! I am from Australia, & my surgery was done in St. Vincent's Hospital, Melbourne, Australia!! Yes, life is going very well for me too! maggie.

How did you find out about surgery as an option?

Did your doctor recommend it or did you do the searching on your own?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom