Epilepsy Therapy Project Fundraising Help?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I didn't want to post on here for this, but I have had a dismal showing for donations thus far (though lots of "likes" on Facebook, lol). I'm currently training to run the Philadelphia Marathon as a part of team ETP (Epilepsy Therapy Project) and have committed to raising $1,000. Currently I'm only at 15% of my goal. To donate, please click on the link below.

https://epilepsytherapyproject.myetap.org/fundraiser/2012PHLMarathon/individual.do?participationRef=3917.0.286558349.

Any amount will help, or if you could spread the word to other people. My story is posted on my profile, but to make it easy...

I had my first seizure a couple of years ago while I was a student, and the doctors thought it was a one-time thing. I commissioned as an officer in the Army in May of last year, and deployed to Afghanistan in March. My partial seizures were getting more and more frequent, but I was trying to ignore them, as I didn't want any more doctors telling me that I was imagining things, or I just needed to sleep (yes, this did happen when I ended up in the emergency room after my first real aura a couple of months after my first T/C seizure). I figured I wouldn't have another Tonic/Clonic anyways. The partials were getting more frequent right before I deployed. I got to Afghanistan and didn't seem to have a lot of issues, and even ran my first marathon while I was there! About a week later I had my second T/C seizure while I was sitting at my desk. Someone walked in and I was on the floor having the seizure. After that, I was sent back through Germany where I was finally diagnosed with epilepsy, and have currently been back in the states in a medical unit where they are trying to figure out the best course of treatment for me, and whether or not to retain me in the service. So this is a matter near and dear to me.

Right now, my family is across the country, and the few people I actually know are also spread out everywhere, or are still deployed with the rest of my unit, so I'm also sort of alone right now. Running is the one thing that helps keep things "stable" for me, as this is a new diagnosis that I'm still learning to deal with. As soon as I got the e-mail about the epilepsy therapy project team, I jumped at the opportunity. Now I just need help actually raising the money :) Any amount would be appreciated, even if it's just ten dollars, or getting the word out.

Good luck! When and where is it you are running it? I am a runner too but am yet to do the full marathon. Done a few halves and am hopefully going to do London next April :).

Hope training is going well :)

Thanks! I'm running the Philadelphia marathon in November. I have been running awhile and wasn't able to do my first full until April, so I understand. I did seven halves before my first full, and tried for two full marathons before I finally successfully finished. I kept getting hurt in training... darn injuries :)

Awesome! Hope it goes well for you! Tell me about injuries. I got injured last November so had to defer my marathon entry for April just gone. But lucky anyway really as I wouldn't hve been in any fit state to take part anyway after having my first seizure on what would have been around a week before it! And then when I was injury free & getting back into it that's when it happened. Crazy world isn't it?! Am waiting for my eeg appt,so hopefully once that's done I can stop worrying & get back on with the running & being fit again! :)

When I was studying at Uni our athletics team visited Phili & did the Penn relays. Was pretty cool!

Stay positive & just build the mileage up gradually :)

Check out the local running stores and clubs, they might be able to help get the word out for you, or help with donations.

from one Army person to another cheers to what you are doing,My tour was in 1976 with the Berlin Brigade. I can still remember the morning runs over the old cobblestone streets.lol.
Have you tried the nearest VA hospital, sometimes there good about stuff like that...good luck.

Thanks for the suggestions! Unfortunately where I am in New York there are no running stores nearby (closest one is an hour out, and I can't drive, sooo... It's a little difficult getting out there!)

I may be able to get the word out in the medical unit I'm with once I get settled. And Berlin! That's awesome! I was in Germany for two years (Mannheim) back in my enlisted days. We were on post though, so no cobblestone roads there. Plus it was in 2004... :)

Training with these medications is going interestingly... I'm still adjusting to everything! Today's run was rough (11.25 miles, my longest run since I did my first marathon three months ago)... I think I need to be drinking more water now that I'm taking all this stuff!

Hey, I just wanted to let you know I'm going to try and find a way or two to possibly get some of the donations you've been truly needing. My mother would be happy to and should be able to get at least some donations through her work. People there care like crazy and I think it's possible to perhaps raise a little bit thata way. I'll also ask some family members and I surly think there will be a little help there. I can't promise anything but i'll surly be trying :) I'm wishing the best for you when it comes to reaching your goal of $1,000!

Thank you so much - I appreciate you helping get the word out! I got a good donation from my godfather last night, so I'm over 50% of the way there - just need 400 more, which sounds way better than where I WAS at :)

I just want to say THANK YOU to everyone who has helped and supported me in my fundraising efforts, or even offered words of encouragement. I reached my goal of $1,000 dollars yesterday! Of course, everyone is welcome to still donate. I've met my goal, but the donations will still go to the Epilepsy Therapy Project.

That's great news! I hope the donations keep pouring in. When in November is your run?

November 18th for the Philadelphia Marathon. Exactly two months out, and I'm on track with my training! Booked my hotel yesterday and I'm really excited to run for a charity organization. I've done lots of races, but never to raise money, so I'm pretty happy about it!

RunningGirl85---Woot! Woot! Goal reached, you rock. You'll take plenty of pics for us, right? :) :) :)

Thanks! Of course I will take plenty of pics :) I all ready have one of the shirt I got for the team - I posted it on my album here!

RunningGirl...

Good Luck with the marathon this weekend! :clap:
what a great cause, huh? ;)

I live here in Philly and just found out today that ETP was a Charity Partner for the marathon and immediately wished I was a runner. And I just now made the connection that the marathon you were running in was the Philadelphia one. I tend to be a little slow these days.

Anyway, again good luck and happy running! :woot:

yes, good luck with the run! Hope you have a blast.

Back
Top Bottom