Epilim & Pregnancy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Canderina

New
Reaction score
Hi All,
Just wondering if anyone has fallen pregnant on epilim and had any troubles with birth defects etc?
Thanks
Candice

Hey Canderina --

Epilim is considered a relatively high-risk anti-seizure med in terms of birth defects. (The rate for epilim is approx. 6% to 7%, compared to approx. 2% for other anti-seizure meds). That doesn't mean that they will definitely occur, but most doctors recommend switching to a different med or a lower dose if at all possible. The first trimester is when exposure is the most risky.

There's also a possibility for longer-term problems:
See https://www.epilepsy.org.uk/news/news/epilim-and-pregnancy

Are you still on Epilim? have you talked to your neuro and OBGYN about any risks?

Hi there,
yes on epilim, yes he advised to go on a lower dose, however i am on lamictal also.
i believe 2 are worse than 1?
thanks and regards
candice

Generally speaking, the fewer anti-seizure meds taken during pregnancy, the better. However, one study showed that fetal abnormalities weren't any more frequent with the valproate–lamotrigine combination than with valproate alone.

The risks of defects need to be weighed against the risk of having a seizure, something your neuro and OB/GYN should be helping you sort through. Of the two, Lamictal is considered a lower-risk medication, so reducing or tapering off the Epilim might be a good idea if it can be done safely. I assume you are taking a folic acid supplement too? That's very important.

Make sure it's the 5mg one as the standard is something like 4mcg

I took epilim with both my sons. 1000mg a day. My oldest has a chromosome disorder and my youngest was fine. Epilim was ruled out with causing any problems but is a high risk drug. Good luck :)

Back
Top Bottom