Epiologist receives Australia Day honor

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

CQ:)

Veteran
Reaction score
Today is Australia Day & an Australian epiologist Prof Sam Berkovic received one of the highest Australia Day honours for his research into epilepsy. He is the epiologist I was referred to when my neurologist suggested brain surgery & head of the epilepsy program I went through to have my brain surgery.

He is an amazing epiologist, such a lovely man & the award couldn't go to a better person :)

Professor Sam Berkovic has been named a Companion of the Order of Australia, or AC - the highest possible Australia Day honour! The honour is for his service to epilepsy genetics as a researcher and clinician, including a number of discoveries about the genetic origins of epilepsies that have led to medical breakthroughs.

For Professor Berkovic, who is director of the Austin Healths Comprehensive Epilepsy Program, this honour comes on top of a string of other awards given to only the highest calibre researchers, including being appointed a Member of the Order of Australia in the Queen's Birthday Honours List in 2005, and being elected a Fellow of the Royal Society - alongside the likes of Isaac Newton and Charles Darwin - in 2007.

About this latest honour, he says "It's one of those awards that makes you extremely proud to be Australian."

Four of the seven appointments to the highest honour - a Companion to the Order of Australia (AC) - were Victorians, including actor Geoffrey Rush and epilepsy genetics researcher Professor Samuel Berkovic, AM.

Prof Berkovic's extensive work into neurological science has led to medical breakthroughs in the treatment of epilepsy.

"It's one of those awards that makes you extremely proud to be Australian," Prof Berkovic said.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/ro...lian-of-the-year/story-fni0fiyv-1226810442669

Last edited:
Always to know our :brain: is in good hands... especially when it comes to surgery! But that's a very great honor, congrats to him!

Hey that's great CQ. And Happy Australia Day!

Hey that's great CQ.

He is an amazing epiologist, I met him when I was 1st looking into having the surgery & then he came in just after my surgery to see me.

I am not on his case load of patients at the epilepsy clinic as my case is pretty straight forward & Prof Berkovic & the other epiologist at the hospital Prof Jackson tend to see the patients with more complicated cases but of course I see Prof Berkovic walking around the hospital when I am there to see my neuro at the epilepsy clinic.
The neurologist I see at the clinic is 1 of the younger neurologists (he's only 5 years older then me) but he is still a great neurologist, very nice & a great sense of humor lol.

And Happy Australia Day!
Thanks Nak,

Didn't do much, just sat & watched some old movies lol.
I don't know if you do it over in the U.S but over here often if a public holiday falls on a Saturday or Sunday then the Monday is also a public holiday which I personally think is crazy lol. So I have the day of work Today because Australia Day was a Sunday this year.

Last edited:
Most of the official non-religious holidays in the US are on Mondays. But for our equivalent of Australia Day -- the Fourth of July -- we have the same system. If it lands on the weekend, then we get Monday off.

Most of the official non-religious holidays in the US are on Mondays. But for our equivalent of Australia Day -- the Fourth of July -- we have the same system. If it lands on the weekend, then we get Monday off.
I think its so silly, I dont know why we need another day of if the actual public holiday falls on a weekend. I joke that its probably so people who were out partying & drinking can nurse their hangovers lol :paperbag:.

Back
Top Bottom