Exercise recommendation...

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Itr786

Stalwart
Reaction score
Post surgery, almost 2 years seizure free since, still on AED (keppra and lamotrigine), I'm feel I'm having issues with mental health. Anxiety and depression.

I've decided to stop making excuses for NOT being able to do anything, and do something about it, ANYTHING to help with this mental illness I feel like I'm suffering.

I'm anyways tired, I work a physical job, but I should definitely be able to get a sport in, like others I work around.

What exercises should I consider? SWIMMING feels like something I should consider. I NEED something to take my mind off what going on in the world. The stresses of life that I don't cope well with.

I'm becoming determined to get my life in order, and I want to make sure I go in the correct direction!

Any advice?

I would advise hiring a certified (eg.. ACE certified if you are in the US) Personal Trainer. A certified trainer has the knowledge to put together a safe fitness routine that takes into account your current fitness level, any medical restrictions, and your physical fitness goals. They of course also take into account what you like to do for physical activity. You can hire a trainer privately or through many gyms.

A gentle yoga class can be a good way to get back into exercising. The breathing can help with stress, and you can go at your own pace.

Since you are 2 years seizure-free, you might ask your neuro about whether it's appropriate to try lowering the dose of either of your meds, to see if you feel less tired.

I have a wii but don't use it too much now, I used to enjoy doing the yoga on that as i could do it at my own pace. There were a couple of other wii fit exercises i enjoyed as well.

I did join a gym for a short while about a year after my surgery but as I wasn't working at the time I couldnt afford to go to often so only went once a week.

I do love walking though which is also the main way I get around, I also find it's a great way for me to think when I'm stressed or overthinking.

The biggest reason for my physical activities is to COMPLETELY take my mind off things!. I love the idea of walking, but I don't think it's what I'd be looking for.
I'll give swimming a go and take things from there. I'm hoping it's as effective as I'm hoping it will be!

The way I look at it, anything is better than nothing, and I'm certain I need to do SOMETHING, as I feel I'm heading towards a dark place with the mental health issues I'm having.

Last edited:
The biggest reason for my physical activities is to COMPLETELY take my mind off things!. I love the idea of walking, but I don't think it's what I'd be looking for.
I'll give swimming a go and take things from there. I'm hoping it's as effective as I'm hoping it will be!

The way I look at it, anything is better than nothing, and I'm certain I need to do SOMETHING, as I feel I'm heading towards a dark place with the mental health issues I'm having.

Can i suggest jogging/running. I know you mentioned you didnt like walking, but going on a treadmill or straight out jogging on the sidewalks outside...break a lot of sweat and helps with mental clarity in my opinion.

Obviously check with your neurologist or physician if you think some exercises can be a hinderance to your health.

For me, i enjoy running/jogging. I sweat a lot and try to eat as healthy as possible. Mentally i still have my bouts, and i still have seizures, but mentally it helps me to get my mind offf of the stresses in life and clears my mind. I totally understand what you mean by the stresses of work.

I think whats important if you start to exercise and break a sweat is that you stay hydrated and eat well (ie: dont starve yourself).

I hope that was helpful. Feel free to ask any further questions!

One thing that really worries me with choosing the best exercise is how 'brittle' I always feel, I'm always in some (little) pain or another, weak muscles and bones, hence why I'm veering more towards swimming, BUT maybe I do need to give jogging a go on a treadmill. Do you feel jogging actually takes your mind of things? Rather than giving you time to 'ponder', and reflect on life?
That's what I want to get away from.

I'd like to get physically fitter, but getting mentally fit is JUST as important!

Giving it some thought, I'm not sure swimming is the best FIRST sport to take up after surgery, even though its been awhile since my surgery. I don't know how I'd react with a physically exhausting sport, and being in water probably isn't the safety way to go about it...

Last edited:
One thing that really worries me with choosing the best exercise is how 'brittle' I always feel, I'm always in some (little) pain or another, weak muscles and bones, hence why I'm veering more towards swimming, BUT maybe I do need to give jogging a go on a treadmill. Do you feel jogging actually takes your mind of things? Rather than giving you time to 'ponder', and reflect on life?
That's what I want to get away from.

I'd like to get physically fitter, but getting mentally fit is JUST as important!

Giving it some thought, I'm not sure swimming is the best FIRST sport to take up after surgery, even though its been awhile since my surgery. I don't know how I'd react with a physically exhausting sport, and being in water probably isn't the safety way to go about it...

I cant really judge what you mean by “brittle” as that can mean different bone diseases, but with any physical exercise like running and/or gym machine weight exercises, theres going to be that initial muscle ache and maybe bone ache afterwards....i dont know how your physique and/or age, but ya, if youve never exercised in a while, muscle ache will initislly be there.

While im jogging, i dont ponder or reflect on life or feel relaxed in the moment. If im on the treadmill, im just focused on keeping my pace. If i dint keep my pace on the treadmill, ill fall off...if im outside jogging, i just enjoying the scenery around me and breathe in the natural air....its not like im reflecting or pondering...i just run and try to break a sweat. I dont forget about my worries, but definitely, it helps allieviate and tune down the noise.

Maybe everyone feels a different way...i just know how i feel, but if you look at youtube vids about running, most of them will say they feel great afterwards.

I dont know much about swimming and how one feels after that. Maybe someone else on here can comment on that.

As i mentioned in my other post, whats important, for me anyway, which may apply to other epileptics as well, is being properly hydrated and nourished before and after exercising. Im sure your doctor can give you better advice about this than i can.

I'll try a few different activities, and see how I cope with each one.
I just NEED to do what I have a habit of doing, and that's push myself immediately, instead take it slowly!.

Saludos, I am trying to add routine exercise to my life. I've been advised to NOT swim. If I sieze in water I can drown, I see why, I'm 6'1 and 180 pounds. I loose the ability to choose to hold my breath.

I think you the only one who can do it we giving you what we do and like...AT THIS MOMENT IN TIME I SITTIG ON BACKSIDE doing nothing,i don't mean this moment I typing this out had argument in family when that happens I withdraw.If it sport then swimming for me but health club good bc have both swimming yoga spinning etc to sauna and aroma thrapy.Walking clubs are getting world wide popular norwegien walking it called sorry I no spelling it walking with skying sticks but different you need google it Norway features in sport.TRY different things

Anything that's a team sport will help with this.

It'll be hard at first but you should end up making new friends very quickly.

I'll tell you what, simply by what you said about "feeling brittle" and swimming...I grew up a competitive swimmer, and now whenever I get in the water, it is the most calming thing I can think of. Now here's a caveat: learning the 4 strokes isn't easy, it is in fact exercise. If you want to start slow, simply take water aerobics, or grab a kickboard and just go back and forth about 4 times. You WILL feel it! But just being in the water will feel good! But its just what everyone else has said, its just taking that first step, even if it is only for 5-10 minutes. SO WHAT. You can tell yourself you began, and take it from there. Good luck to you :)

I got podcast on all the yoga meditation free as well got it this week only going free for few days get in quick you may get pod casts.
I don’t know put man on moon surely invent cream cake and doing sweet f all that could be good for you,but not in my lifetime alas

Back
Top Bottom