Exercise. Staying in shape.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

hawke86

New
Reaction score
Has anyone had any sports injuries that you're still dealing with? I'm still dealing with my knee that I injured training for powerlifting. I don't let that stop me from my favorite sport. :rock::rock: I think everyone should some form of exercise even if it's just walking. How many athletes or former athletes do we have in this forum? :banana::banana: Exercise has a lot of benifits. :rock::rock:

I had ankle surgery last year as a result of an injury from 15 years earlier. It was well worth it.

I tore my MCL trying to exit a moonwalk post haste. My foot got caught in the doorway and twisted my leg real good as I spilled out most ungraciously to the ground. It took many excrutiating months for it to heal.

I get problems with my right anterior deltoid when doing presses, such as shoulder presses or bench presses. I've had it for quite a time now, but find that if I lower the weight it will disappear for a while.

Something to think about

I have many sports related injuries, and several
major surgeries for it - but many I've been
procrastinating (some of it for 25+ years now),
however, one major concern for years that the
(retired) Orthopedic Surgeon had been worried
about more than anything was my Right Knee,
the one I've been putting off the longest. He
found a lot of surprises when he had performed
the Left Rotor Cuff surgery and found far more
damages than the all the scans reflected. But
that's not all the sports-related injury surgeries
I've had though.

But it's interesting of how that Surgeon had made
a remark to make it brief (my words) of how he
didn't feel all of this (rotor cuff) was all sports
related, and felt some of this was grand mal
seizures in his notes.

As for me, I DO WEAR braces and ace bandages
sporadically whenever I need to. I do use Ben Gay
if I have to or Heating Pad (but never Ben Gay and
Heating Pad together). Weather and Coldness does
have an impact on me - but as far as I'm concerned,
as long as I'm able to move and it's not locking up,
not slipping, or sliding out of alignment and staying
that way - I'm not having any surgeries!

I'm not being stubborn, just being realistic, I've come
this far and doing alright, although I've had my moments,
I think I can still continue to go forward.

-----------------------------

ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE COIN:

When it comes with seizures, now that itself can
be an issue there! Sometimes I wonder if I should
have had the surgery, then sometimes I wonder if
I had the surgery if the seizure would have damaged
what had been fixed?

Ever think about that?

:huh:

I had a Rotor Cuff surgery done to my left shoulder,
and having Tonic-clonics; my left shoulder does hurt
from time to time, which leaves me wondering if it
had screwed up the very thing that the surgery had
repaired, fixed, et cetera. I have a very big long scar
there - as I implied, the Surgeon was surprised to see
how much damages was there; he even had to re-
attach the muscles back to the bone. I must add, he
saw aged scars, old scars, past scars, recent scarring,
tears, and so much more. He had his hands full.

Something to think about.

Knees ...

I would not go so far as to call myself an athlete, but I do still play a lot of basketball. That has probably given me the most injuries. Back in 2000, I blew my ACL in my left knee. When they replaced it, all they found was little pieces like it just shredded apart. I guess knees aren't meant to bend backward.

Also, have cracked a rib playing BB and broke a few fingers. Last year, I broke and dislocated my pinky. It was at a 90 degree angle. Not pleasent. I keep my calcium intake up because dilantin can deplete it.

My knees ache almost every day now. I try to walk a lot, because just sitting around can make them hurt as much as using them. Although, I don't let it stop me from getting down on the floor and playing with my grandkids. When I can't do that, I will be looking for knee replacements (extensive family history of bad knees).

I don't have any sports injuries...but my hubby does. He's had both knees replaced years ago...and unfortunately, will probably have to have them both replaced again in the next 2-3 years. So I guess I deal with his knees. :) He's younger than me...he's not supposed to snap crackle and pop. :)

Hawke, Do you do any sports? Or related exercise?

Robin,
I lift weights for my exercise. Every now and then I will do some powerlifting.

Back
Top Bottom