Exertion Induced Epilepsy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

One thing I know for sure, exercise may cause hyperventilation, but YOGA and MEDITATION do magic. Try them out friends!Some suggested asanas are:
• Bhastrika
• KapalBhati
• Bahya
• Anulom Vilom
• Bhrahmri
• Udgeeth
• Ujjayi

I have a question for everyone about this subject:

If someone did have an exertion/hyperventilation related trigger for seizure when would the seizure most likely occur? Would it be during the exercise or just after while you were still breathing heavily, or could the seizure occur 24 or 48 hours later?

Logic would seem to say that the seizure would occur during the heavy breathing and not later if it was the true trigger. I had a seizure once after a long run, but it was 24 hours after I stopped exercising, so I doubted whether or not the running was responsible.

It would make sense that one would be most likely to have a seizure during or right after exercising. That is when someone hyperventilates the most.

It wouldn't make sense to me that exercising would cause a seizure 24 hours later.

threshold

exertion does seen to be an individual thing. I have never had a seizure during or after sex. It is a release that seems to help some and compromise others. Exercise has for the most part been my friend. In the hot months I just can't do it outdoors. Those days are long gone, along with yard work. Half my seizures have been in the hot months attributed to a electrolyte imbalance. I used to love to lounge around a pool in the summer, but no more. My biggest problem with exertion now is aching joints and muscles. Hormonal I am sure and perhaps decades of AEDs. The last massage I had the lady said I needed a massage therapist that specialized in neuro massage therapy. I have knots on top of my knots!
Christopher: so sorry you have a neck injury.:-( My husband has injuries to neck and back. He does not have seizures, but pain that traditional medicine has little to offer him except drugs. He and I need a live in massage therapist! I'll submit that request to insurance and see what they say!!:roflmao:

I exercise in air conditioning or at a room temp in the low 70s on various types of gym equipment. Varying the workout seems to be the trick for me. Personally, I gradually warm up, raise the heart rate and gradually bring it down to a normal rate again. I limit each session to a half hour and drink plenty of fluid that has electrolytes.
With fall around the corner, I'll be doing more evening walks again when cooler temps are back again.
That has worked for me. I'm guessing dehydration could be my trigger because I know I sweat a lot. I wear clothing specially designed to wick sweat off the body.

Survivor, I'll have to try that Yoga. I'm not really all that coordinated, but it sound like fun. I do listen to soothing Yoga CDs.

Back
Top Bottom