Facing Challenges with Epilepsy?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Facing Challenges with Epilepsy?

Epilepsy affects approximately 50 million people worldwide. Around 25% to 30% have intractable epilepsy that does not respond to conventional antiepileptic drug treatments. In fact, some epileptics require multiple medications to control seizure activity with limited effect.

Clinilabs is seeking volunteers for a new research study that aims to improve seizure control in refractory epilepsy patients using only one investigational antiepileptic medicine. If you are interested, or know of somebody who may be interested, please contact Clinilabs at 212-994-4567.

Eligible volunteers may receive at no cost:
• Medical care
• Laboratory work
• Clinical evaluations
• Compensation for time and travel

Medical insurance is not necessary to participate.
Transportation can be provided.

what's use in calling Im always turned down for one reason or another.
I'm always told I have to many types of seizures.
Or being med resistant is a bad thing for me trials don't take me.

Im in Georgia anyway.

Belinda:twocents:

Belinda, that's because they can't cope with anyone dealing with seizures.

What I'm going to suggest isn't easy, but give yourself some time to grieve your disappointments properly. Please take some time to take a long hard look at what you're good at doing and what you're not so good at doing. Then learn what your limitations and capabilities are so that you can safely work within that frame work. It might mean that you'll have to do some work out of your home - some form of arts & crafts, cooking, business work if you're trained to do so (charge on an hourly basis) to try and help you earn some $$. Please don't expect that the money will come rolling in overnight. It takes time and it's wiser if you re-invest what you earn into what was successful for you when you made the money. A computer is a good example, if you're good at typing reports & term papers for students & professionals.

As you gradually become more known, then go to trade fairs - ifthey apply to your chosen field of work to make contacts with others in the business world.

This sounds like a lot, but it will come if you're patient with yourself. You'll need to discipline yourself also to pace yourself so that you don't get overtired. Hope this gives you a bit of positive feedback! :)

Belinda

Did you notice the part where it said "compensation for time and travel?" And that "transportation can be provided"? It's possible that you might be able to get some help from them. Why not give them a call??

Belinda,

I hear you!! I think we are somewhat in the same boat. We both have refractory epilepsy, have already tried drugs, brain surgery and the VNS, to NO AVAIL! What else is left? Haven't we been "guinea pigs" enough already?!

I say NO MORE DRUGS FOR ME!!!!!

Last edited:
Clinilabs, NY - request for participants - any answers, yet.

Hi - has anyone heard whether the study is completed and what the results are?

Thanks

Daisy - this thread is a year old.
There is a phone number in the first post, which is your best way to find out more about this study.

Back
Top Bottom