Falling out.of Bed

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

efowler25

New
Reaction score
My son has fallen out of bed twice in the past week. He is 10 and to be honest I could mot tell you the last time he has fallen out of bed!! Could these be night time seizures? Or am I just being paranoid? Should I report this to his Dr?

your not being paranoid, but see if it happens again, if it does then it might be best to take him to a doctor just to see what they think

I agree -- any new and/or unusual behavior is worth making a note of and asking the doctor about. If he seems unusually tired, it might be sign that he has having nocturnal seizures. A sleep study might be useful to get a handle on what's going on.

Borrow a baby monitor from someone, and put it in there, so hopefully you'll hear when he falls out of bed (or if he has a seizure, if it's a big one) -- you can go in there if you hear him fall and see what's going on.

We do have a baby monitor and we hear lots of restless sleepd but generally no seizures. We called the Dr and he told us signs to watch out for, unexplained bruising, biting of the tounge, and a few others. They want to increase his keppra but tobne honest I think he is on a an insane dose for a 10 year old anyways so Im not to excited about that. He takes 875 mg in the am and pm and his moods are HORRIBLE!! We go back to the Dr on Sept 14th and I am going to push for a sleep study. Bless his heart he just cant get a good night for whatever reason.

I have nocturnal seizures and when not kept in check by my medication, I too fall out of bed. Make sure there's no sharp edges re bedside table or anything close by that could physically hurt him. Perhaps place rugs either side of the bed. I usually fall out on my left side only.

I think I should add that he may not be having seizures - it might be a growing up thing or he may be worried about something. Chat with him. Keep notes. See you doctor.

:)

Last edited:
efowler25

I have nocturnal seizures and have fallen out of bed, especially as a child, what my parents did was to put the sheets in under the mattress, mind you at the start it felt like I was strapped down, but that was the first night, then I realized how warm it was. Still do it my self.

His Dr based on what I have told him thinks he may have sleep apena which is not helping seizures during the day. So we have a sleep study the 11th of November and they will also be looking for nocturnal seizures. Hopefully we will get some answers!!

Great, I hope the sleep-study will yield some useful info. While you're waiting you might ask the doc how any particular results might influence treatment.

We purchased a night vision security/baby camera and have it connected to our laptop, can also veiw it on our phone if needed.
We have it set on motion record so that it can record when movement happens. It records for a minutes once triggered only thing which is not 100% is that it misses the first second so often we see his head falling to the bed from a height but we have seen this in full before and know its from a very sudden arch back when he is lying on his tummy. The laptop is in another room and we have a baby monitor (sound only) next to our bed so if we hear anything which is worrying I go into the study and look on the laptop.
Our little man is just 20 months old so still in a cot.
This camera has been so great for us as we have been able to see what he really does at night and I will admit some of it was quite confronting to see you your child arched back many times in a night. We new he was awake from the early hours a lot of night, 3am or earlier but what the camera showed us was that during this time he was also having abstent seziures he would be playing away then have a very obvious absence seziure then you could see him "come back" and play.
My older children (5 and almost 3) moved into a toddler bed around now but I am going to keep him in his cot for as long as possible at least till 2 1/2 if I can. At least when he goes into a toddler bed the ground isn't far away. But we will have to roof mount his night vision camera as his is very curious and I am sure would get up to mischeif.
He had a sleep study done when he was around 7 1/2 months but i think we will talk to his nureo and paed re having another one done as I am curious to see what is actually happening when he does all his weird and wonderful events. Don't know if the nureo will book him in for one as he already explained to us the reason the eeg's didn't pick up the lesion in his brain was due to it's location so if the lesion is causing these event's the eeg may not pick much up still.
Good luck with it all. It was interesting to read your post and others replies as we have recently been talking about when we eventually move him into our bed how it will be.
Donna

Good on you Donna for figuring out how to get this all set up, and you were able to see what was going on.

I agree, keep him in the cot as long as possible. The only problem is when they start learning how to climb out -- that can get a bit scary.

Back
Top Bottom