Finally Saying Hello

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

The only problem ( I say problem, but really it doesn't bother me) I have found with Lamotrigine is the weight loss.
When I first started taking it I lost about 3 stone in 3 months. Like I said, it does not bother me too much lol!

Loopy Lou, My Neurologist is an NHS one in my home town in Essex, apparently he is the Head Neuro guy, bit of a nut job. But he makes me laugh. He always wears stripey socks, has a bow tie on and a checked shirt, and constantly complains about the NHS.

Hi Addie- Good to meet you & no doubt we'll speak more a little later- take care; Col

The only advatange to Lamictal was that it helped with weight loss lol!

Well either that or all the going to the gym helped :p

Hi, Addie!

Welcome!

Congratulations on being seizure free for over a year. Did I read that you still don't have your license back, even though your doctor approved you driving again? The government is so inefficient.

Lamictal.... I'm on lamotragine now. I wish I had weight loss with Lamictal. I've gained 10 lbs in 3 months on the stuff. But everybody is different. Some people lose weight.

Anyway, welcome, and make yourself at home. :)

Now, didn't I say I was awful at Forums.

I wanted to do a little bit of an update for you all.

My neurologist put me on Lamtorigine, slowly increased over time to 200mg a day, which stayed put for about 6months, until January this year.
I started experiencing what I could only describe as blank outs. Moments of time passed by without my knowledge. I couldn't recall what happened in that time, and I didn't know how I ended up where I was when I realised what was going on.
After describing these events to the Doc, he increased my lamtorigine and I am now on 300mg a day of Lamotrigine. This seems to have got these Blank Outs under control.
A problem I find with my Doc is that he doesn't explain things to me, he just nods his head, scribbles in my ever growing file and gives me tablets. So I'm doing alot of my own research :|
However, since the increase the weight loss has done a massive U-Turn and I have not only put on the weight I lost, I have put on about double that again.

On top of that I am now also having to take two types of sleeping tablets and have tried 3 different types of anti-depressants due to two horrible experiences in my local hospital last year.
To cut the story short: I was admitted with suspected apendicitus, and was put into a side room. 3 days later I was told they would operate, was put Nil By Mouth, 12 hours later, no IV's set up, and having a Nurse tell me I was not allowed to take my lamotrigine they cancel the surgery.
Surgery goes ahead the next day. I was kept in the hospital for 3 days after that due to complications during the surgery (which I am yet to discover what that was) but not once were my surgical dressings changed.
12 days after original surgery I was rushed back into the hospital with Peritonitus, and had to have another surgery to remove all the infection, and the infected tissue in my tummy.
I was left with a 3 inch long (and god knows how deep) hole instead of a belly button for 3 months.
I had to have nurses visit me at home every day to care for me because I couldn't care for myself and my Fiance works long hours.
My work refused to support me, and my boss called me every day telling me how unfair it was on him to have to work 7 days a week because I was off. My area manager told me to grow up and get on with it.
And to top it all off the hospital say they are not at fault, although they have apologised for not changing the dressings.
They have also admitted that their care of patients with epilepsy was not up to scratch and all staff wil be receiving up to date training.

I am now about to begin therapy with a local NHS support group, and will slowly be taking up dance again.

I think that is everything... again, really sorry!!

What a terrible experience Addie. Hospitals are the worst place for a sick person (as my Aunt used to say).

I've had the same problem with weight gain and Lamictal. Right now it seems to have stabilized, but I have to be vigilant otherwise it creeps up again.

Back
Top Bottom