First post in CWE

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hi. This is my first post In CWE. For background, I was diagnosed with epilepsy about 8 years ago. Complex partial seizures. In the past, I’ve been on Lamictal, Keppra and I’m now taking Dilantin for my seizures.
I was just assigned a new neurologist and we are looking into changing my meds. I realize that finding the right med is different from person to person.
From their experience, would someone be able to share the benefits and drawbacks of the meds Trileptal and Vimpat. Thanks.

Hi Louis#s, welcome to the forum. :hello:

Drawbacks and benefits are different for every person. You won't really know how well a drug works, or how well you will tolerate potential side effects, until you try it.

My wife could not handle Trileptal at all. Nightmare city. Many folks handle it fine though, so YMMV.

Hi Louis,

Welcome to CWE! Just like you I have complex partial seizures and absence seizures. I've taken all the meds you have mentioned right now
I'm taking vimpat, mysoline, and Diamox along with cbd (medical marijuana) and I have found the cbd oil has helped reduce my seizures
to the least in 48 yrs.
I had to go off the Trileptal because I broke out with a rash from the drug after being on it for a long time, I had to go off the drug slowly
and my Dr. had to watch me and at the same time I was put on vimpat and I found if the dosage was to high 400 mg. I would have seizures
but once it was lowered to 300 mg. the seizures reduced and this was before using the cbd oil. I also had seizures while withdrawing from
one drug and going on another.
My Epileptologist did a DNA test on me and from the test he could see the enzymes in my liver along with my body chemistry and he
found out I was drug resistant to all seizure meds on the market right now that's when I was told to try the cbd oil. You may want to
ask your Dr. to do a DNA test on you to find the best med for your seizures. All they do is take some blood and salvia from you and it
goes to the lab where they can see your liver enzymes and body chemistry as I mentioned. I've also found taking 2 Tablespoons of
apple cider vinegar with mother in it in the morning another way to reduce my seizures. The protein and good bacteria in the vinegar
is what has helped me out. Give it a try but just be sure to drink a fluid after you use the vinegar.
I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You,

Sue

Hi.
When you say cider vinegar with mother in it.explain please.i use cider vinegar if it do trick I all for that.it the mother bit what is that

Hi seagull,

The mother in apple cider vinegar is a healthy protein along with a very healthy bacteria.

Wishing you well and May God Bless You,

Sue

Hi Seagull,

I buy the apple cider vinegar with mother right in the grocery store or dept. store. The vinegar is organic and you will see
it looks more cloudy. Wishing you only the best and May God Bless You!

Sue

Hello. I've also tried every AED out there for the seizures that I have (simple & complex partial). I am allergic to 5 of them, and one was changed after over 20 years since it can cause osteoporosis.
I'm currently on Topamax & Zonisamide--400mg/day of each, along with 1mg folic acid. Despite this, I average 1-3 breakthrough seizures/month.

Back
Top Bottom