First Seizure after 3 years

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

ShaileeM

New
Reaction score
After 3 years, I had my most recent seizure 3 days ago. When I had the 4 seizures prior to that, I was under the assumption that I wasn't taking care of myself and that was the reason for it. Then, I had this one 3 days ago at the end of my bachelorette party. Now I'm freaking out because this seems to be out of my control and none of the triggers that I was paying attention to seem to matter anymore. My family and fiance seem to think that I have stress getting to me due to the running around I'm doing for the dance show I'm throwing in a month and the wedding 2 weeks after that, but I don't feel stressed. I've definitely been more stressed out at other points in my life. It's frustrating when there is something I can't control and I keep beating myself up because I had. I keep trying to figure out what would have prevented it. I have an appointment with my neurologist in a week so hopefully, he can help me out. The doctor at the emergency room called it a breakthrough seizure. I am trying to understand exactly what this means.

Shailee,

Welcome to CWE. So sorry to hear about the seizure.

A breakthrough seizure, by definition is an epileptic seizure that occurs despite the use of meds that have successfully prevented seizures in the patient.

Feel free to ask questions here. The members are very friendly, knowledgeable and compassionate.

Good luck at the doctor!

Tom

Hi:hello:

I don't know that you can stop seizures of any kind, All I know is to watch for triggers and try to avoid them if at all possible.

Hoping your visit with your Neur. goes well.

Hi Shalee, Welcome and congratulations on the upcoming wedding.

To me a break-through seizure is a seizure happening in a person who up until that new seizure had good control of seizure activity by AED, diet, biofeedback, etc.

We are all different and what could cause a break-through seizure for me might not for you.

Stress, caffeine, diet soda, not enough sleep, etc, are all known triggers.

I am sure your neurologist will be able to provide some answers.

Take care,
Mary

Hi Shalee,

Break-thru seizures can/do happen for all sorts of reasons. As said previously, stress, caffeine, alcohol, partying, etc. are all known triggers for break-through seizures. Sometimes it's also time for a new medication. A lot of us here on CWE have had break-through seizures. Good luck with your neurologist.

Shailee.. I wanted to add one more thing. Years ago I had a rash of break-through seizures when I started taking vitamin B6, in greater than the normal daily requirement. Normally, additional B6 is a great supplement for most with epilepsy. For me it was not, because I take phenobarbital and additional B6 causes an almost 50% drop in phenobarbital blood levels. Of course, I started taking it because I thought it would help not make things worse. I share this because sometimes it is important to dig a bit deeper than the usual triggers.

I agree with Cint that maybe a different med or even a little tweaking with your present meds might be in order.

Mary

I recently started taking folic acid tablets in preparation that my fiance and I will soon start family planning after the wedding. Could this have affected my seizure threshold?

Hi Shailee -- It's unlikely that the folic acid tablets affected your seizure threshold, though there's a chance that there's a filler in the tablets that you may be reacting to. If that's not it, it could be that there's some stressor that you're unaware of, a stressor that you've become more sensitive to, or maybe your metabolism has changed and you need to increase your medication to compensate. Maybe it's just a fluke -- unfortunately with epilepsy, there are often no clear answers. I hope you get some helpful advice from your neurologist.

congrats on your upcoming wedding. I make it just at a year each time and then I have a seizure. when I get all caught up in tasks that are not part of my normal day like holidays birthdays ect. lack of sleep stress of any kind this is when I am vulnerable to a breakthrough seizure. I had one a few days ago first in almost a year I take 700mg phenytoin and 300mg gabatain my nuero just bumped the later up a 100mg post seizure hang in there and we are all thinking about you.

Back
Top Bottom