First seizure

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Carmen

New
Reaction score
Last night my 11 year old daughter came to my room around 3am and said she couldnt sleep and asked to sleep next to me l said ok. At around 5am , l was woken by a noise, it was a gurgling gasping noise, l quickly woke put the lamp on and she was having a seizure. Her body was like convulsing and like noises breathing. I rubbed her back and pat her head it lasted maybe 30 to 40 seconds less than a minute. When it finished her eyes seemed to flicker and she remained asleep. I couldnt sleep afrer that and just watched her.. she woke up as normal. I didnt tell her or discuss what happened to her. I am concerned and worried this had never happened before she is now 11 years old. She is the youngest of 6 kids none ever has had seziures and there is no family history. What does anyone recommend l do? I feel like l haves to watch her sleep in case it happens again. Should l take her doctors? What can it be? She isn't unwell no fever perfectly healthy it was just a random thing thanks for your help and advice

Carmen

You are very welcome to CWE, the first thing I want you to do is make a cup of Coffey for yourself and sit down. First off, I am sorry you are so scared but I will not advise you I am not a doctor and what I would do and what you would do are two different things. Things may not be as bad as you are imagining right now, most children will have at lest one seizure in there life time but this does not mean they have epilepsy, they usually grow out of it. The thing about bringing her to a doctor, first of all as a mother do you think you should. If the answer is yes, then do that but me personally, I do not think you need to yet, as I am sure you have found out an EEG is usually done but this is only to help, it is not to say you have epilepsy. It happened at around 5am so she had a nocturnal seizure the very same as me, its not the end of the world just yet, it might seem that way.

First write down the time and date, what you can remember happening and roughly how long it seemed. Try and remember as best you can what tey ate and done befor going to bed. This is all important. Her eyes flickering is normal and so is the staying asleep, a seizure takes so much out of you that when you come out of one the one thing you want to do is sleep.

Hi Carmen,
Welcome to CWE! I'm sorry to hear that your daughter had a seizure last night. Right now at her age the hormones are changing a lot and this could be the reason she had the seizure but she may never have one again. I started having seizures when I was 10 yrs. old (57 now). Keep your alert and notice if she has a daydream look on her face for a few seconds and is confused after this could be an absence seizure. If she is having them at night when she goes to bed or in the morning when she gets up these are Noctral seizures I had them for a short time. I finally had a sleep study done along with an e.k.g. and the Dr. found out I was having seizures in my sleep 1-2 hrs. before I would wake up in the morning but once I started taking vimpat this type of seizure stopped. Keep your daughter away from neutral sweet that can trigger seizures for some people because it causes more electrical activity in the brain. Also if your daughter uses a cell phone a lot during the day they have found that some people are cell phone sensitive do to the frequency the phone uses and this could be the problem also. I wish you and your daughter only the best of luck and as CQ mentioned keep track of the seizures this may show a pattern at what time of day/night she has any seizure or what days of the month.
Wishing you and your family only the best and May God Bless All of You,

Sue

Hey Carmen,

I do think you should let your daughter's pediatrician know what happened, and go from there. Since the seizure is of unknown origin, the pediatrician may refer you to a neurologist. As Fedup and Sue say above, now is a good time to make notes about the circumstances in the weeks and hours leading up to your daughter's seizure. Has anything changed for her recently? Has she been sleeping well? Any headaches? Sometimes stress or fatigue can trigger a seizure, or it could be something like hormonal changes or dehydration. Her doctor can help with any next steps.

Take care,
Nakamova

Hello. I agree with what everyone has said. If she has more, keeping track of things will help since seizures can be triggered by many different things. I've had simple partial seizures since childhood which weren't diagnosed until I was 14, after I had some tonic clonic seizures. Apparently the "strange feelings" that I often complained about were actually seizures. Now I also have complex partial seizures.

It would be best to take her to the doctor. You don't know why she had the seizure. She may have had others that you don't know about. At minimum she should see a neurologist and get an EEG and an MRI. This doesn't mean she will have more, but it's best to be sure there is nothing else wrong.

It would be best to take her to the doctor. You don't know why she had the seizure. She may have had others that you don't know about. At minimum she should see a neurologist and get an EEG and an MRI. This doesn't mean she will have more, but it's best to be sure there is nothing else wrong.
Thankyou very much for your post. That is exactly what l've done and am in the process of completing those tests you are exactly right thats what the doctors recommended and again like you said l dont know if they happened before as she sleeps in her own room thanks again for your advise

Back
Top Bottom