First time seeing a psychiatrist

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Heavy Kevy

Stalwart
Reaction score
šŸ˜¬
Donā€™t know what kind of can of worms Iā€™m opening.
Trying to prepare myself to be open and honest. Thereā€™s nothing Iā€™d be afraid of sharing.
At the same time evaluating my emotions and how I cope. šŸ˜¬ šŸ˜¬

Good luck

As Nak said there are plenty out there

Iā€™m up to my 3rd psychologist /therapist in 8 years and sheā€™s amazing
The 1st was good, helped get over a few barriers but our sessions were short and more relaxation exercises then talking

My 2nd was a therapist didnā€™t help much

The one I see now is a clinical psychologist and through videoconference and sheā€™s great. Doesnā€™t mind how I am, has seen me have a seizure which opened her eyes up to epilepsy.
It does take me a while to open up but it didnā€™t with this psychologist.
She was also the one (after my neurologist) who diagnosed the anxiety.

I also have a neuropsychiatrist but she works with my neurologist and she treats me for depression.

Iā€™ve got research to do. šŸ«¤ Need a break from doctors.

ā€œOur reliance on the physician is a kind of despair of ourselves.ā€

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last edited:
Generally seeing a psychiatrist is for diagnosis and medication such as anti anxiety or anti depressant. Did they find something during your recent video EEG that you are now going in for an appointment? I saw a couple of psychiatrists and a few counselors over the years. My anti depressant is prescribed by my neurologist now. Good luck I like your qotes!! Jeanne

Thanks
I was prescribed a Paxil for the first time by my neurologist about a year ago. I hadnā€™t tried an antidepressant prior. It worked great and I went on a SZ free streak for about 4 months. Longest stretch Iā€™ve had in ten years.
Seeing a therapist was recommended before. Many people are surprised I havenā€™t seen one yet.

Ugh. First available appointment is late May.
Trying not to sound like a dirty old man but, the Doctor Iā€™m scheduled to meet is a young cute woman.
One of the first questions I had asked myself is if a male or female Dr would make a difference.
Reschedule šŸ¤”

Trying not to sound like a dirty old man but, the Doctor Iā€™m scheduled to meet is a young cute woman.
One of the first questions I had asked myself is if a male or female Dr would make a difference.

Reschedule šŸ¤”

A psychologist is someone that you need to be able to talk to about anything so they can help you with things. If you don't feel comfortable talking with a woman about things then ask if there is male psychologist that you could see.

Is the first available appointment in late May for the entire office or just for her? If you can get in sooner by seeing someone else, preferably a man, then try that.

Is this a short but reasonable list of questions Iā€™ll be asked? Thanks šŸ˜Š

Why are you are coming in for an appointment now?
What are the particular things that are bothering you?
What would you like help with?
How far are you from your baseline?
How would you describe your normal personality? Are you more a cup half-full person or cup half-empty?
When did you start feeling bad?
When was the last time you felt happy?

Finally had my appointment. They recommended more drugs. šŸ˜‘
Keep using the Midazolam (Nayzilam) nasal spray
Increase Paxil maybe

I meet with a male Dr for the majority of the time. The female Dr who runs the department stopped in at the end. They were both great. You can tell they have been educated on asking people personal questions. I was babbling like a Brook. I felt totally comfortable with both.

Thanks. I felt good about things leaving.
ā€œSee you in six months if neededā€ always feels good.
Turns out I had a nocturnal SZ the night before. I was in an unfolding postictal state through the entire appointment.
When I got home I hit the nasal spray and went to bed. If it could have been a cluster and the spray works. Iā€™ll take that as a win šŸ†
Couple good nights sleep and Keep on Trucking on.

Back
Top Bottom