Fitness and Diet

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hello Guys & Girls,

My name is Tammy, I'm 23 and I have epilepsy! I'm sure my seizures are not as bad as some of you but I thought I'd join just to be involved with people with this horrible disability. Although it does not define who we are in any way possible.

I'm just running through some ideas that I have with what to do with my future career as I've just been made redundant and I want to do something useful for others.

I am currently studying Level 2 Fitness Instructor course which I am really enjoying at the moment. However I would like to go into the field of helping people with certain disabilities which I can relate to as well. I'm not trying to sell you anything at all but I'd just like some feedback.

If you were every wanting to work with a PT online or face to face, would you be more inclined to do it with someone with a person who is qualified and can relate to you or would it just be with a normal trainer? I'm looking at exercises and would provide people with diet plans which would accommodate what you like and don't like. I would do a lot of research into whether a carbohydrate free diet actually reduces seizures or not. This is something I've personally done with myself and it has helped me.

I would just like to get some ideas from you guys if you are willing to.

Take Care

Tammy

Hi Tammy, welcome to CWE!

I think a lot of folks would feel reassured if they were working on diet and exercise issues with someone who is familiar with epilepsy. I think you would need to proceed with caution when recommending particular diets though, since what works for one person won't necessary work for someone else. You might want to coordinate with a dietitian or nutritionist just to be on the safe side.

The Diet Could Be The Difficult Part

Tammy,
Nakamova was very right when she talked about getting all of the information you could about how a diet may have a positive or negative effect on someone w/E. Each person has different ways they will react to each med and with each diet so you would need to have a good understanding of what these many differences could be. If you did learn those things, you could be very helpful to people w/E because that knowledge would make you a very important person for people w/E to consult. Having someone around with that knowledge wouls be very helpful to the people w/E because they would know that you have knowledge of living w/E yourself and this would make those people feel much more comfortable working with you! :clap:

acshuman

Hi Guys,

Thank you for the feedback.

I know I'm not going to be doing this overnight and I'm prepared to go as far as I can with this.

I completely understand where you are coming from with the nutritional side, as you said everyone is different and what necessarily works with one person it doesn't with the other. I would work with every client to ensure that they have the correct advice from me to continue with their fitness journey. Gaining a bad reputation is something that I really wouldn't want.

Tammy

Back
Top Bottom