Five Thyroid Patterns that won't show up on a standard lab test

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

To find out what would actually show up on thyroid tests you should find the advice of a doctor that specializes in thyroid or a technician that works with those test.

Speaking as someone who is trained to treat people with acupressure, I don't think you should put too much weight in the advice of an acupuncturist like this guy is (L. Ac). They are not trained to deal with endocrine issues.

I missed the part about him being an acupuncturist. lol Didn't see that. No, don't think I'd trust my thyroid to someone like that. However one point I think he has is some doctors you go to and say I think I have hypothyroidism, would take your word for it and give you the pills and send you on your way.

I had a doctor like that. My previous doctor, I went to him with symptoms of diarrhea and dehydration. After the first time, I knew the signs and he knew them too cause he sent me to the emergency room in 2009 and I was in total kidney failure, dehydrated and had ulcerative colitis. I was on deaths doorstep. I was transferred from that ER to another hospital where I was for three weeks, two of which were in ICU. I ended up having my colon removed, hooked up to 9 different IV's, had two or three kinds of infections, had a heart condition, dehydration of course and the UC had become so bad, I was bleeding to death inside.

Anyway, recovered from that, after being in rehab for three weeks to learn to walk. Then in December of 2010, I went to my doctor and said I was dehydrated and had diarrhea. I felt I needed to be in the hospital. He PRESCRIBED ME HEARTBURN PILLS and told me to drink Gatorade for dehydration and diarrhea.

Less than 24 hours later, I was being taken to the hospital for kidney failure, potassium of 9.4 and dehydration. I nearly died. Previous times I've gone to him, told him my symptoms and told him what I thought I had and he gave me pills for that, without really diagnosing me, just took my word for it. I have been hospitalized 4 times, 2 of which I had been under his care and both times I'd gone to him before hand for help and only once did he actually do something right in those times.

My health and the meds I take requires blood tests every 3 to 6 months and he did maybe 5 in the 10 plus years I saw him. Since I've been seeing my new doctor, which will be 2 years next February, he orders tests every 3 months and is constantly keeping track of my health, love my doctor.

Ouch!!! That is quite an ordeal you've been through! If it were me knowing that it was likely caused by someones lack of knowing what to do would make it even more frustrating.

To avoid (or at least lessen) such things from happening that I think we should all be skeptical of our doctors until they've proven themselves to us.

I'm glad you've since found a doc you can depend on.

Last edited:
It's to avoid (or at least lessen) such things from happening that I think we should all be skeptical of our doctors until they've proven themselves to us.

:agree: I had to keep searching for dr. when I was first diagnosed with diabetes. I finally went to a real endocrinologist whose specialty is diabetes AND thyroid disorders, which I have both, in addition to epilepsy. And the good thing is that my endo and epileptologist are both at the same hospital.

Thanks Epileric. I love my doctor, he has my best interest at heart and always keeps an eye on me, so much better than my previous doctor. My previous doctor was as nice as can be but just not that good of doctor. My current doctor just wants to be sure that he doesn't treat something that doesn't need treating but will if needed.

What's funny is that after my third kidney failure, the hospital wanted me to follow up with my doctor but he was on vacation so they scheduled me an appointment with my previous doctor's brother who is also a doctor. I told him I'd been his brother's patient before and he goes "I don't blame you for leaving, I'm prettier than he is." lol That was about the extent of his humor.

My previous doctor hated answering questions, wanted you out as soon as possible and I've heard several complaints about him from other people. His brother, although somewhat better, he too hates answering questions but is more thorough.

I love the doctor I have though, he is very good with me and always asks me at the beginning of the appointment if I have any concerns. At first I had a million questions but now try to keep them to a minimum and what I feel is most important. Doesn't hurt that he's hot too. haha

Back
Top Bottom