Focal to bilateral

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
So I’ve had 3 focal to bilateral tonic clonics in the past couple of years. What’s weird is that they were all 7.5 months from each other. There are other reasons I had them not due to the timing, so when I saw that timing fell exactly at 7.5 months for each I thought it was even more odd. Also my mom (who i currently live with) refuses to refer to them as seizures or epilepsy. She calls them “spells” and says I should do a parasite cleanse because maybe I got something from Mexico when I was 17. Never mind that the focals started in my pre teen years and when I tried to explain to her back then she brushed them off as “just de ja vu” and I was never seen by a doctor for them until my first focal to bilateral at 28 years old. Ugh.

Hi Rheaceleste,

I have bi lateral lesions on my brain which trigger absence and complex partial seizures for me. You may be having what
my Epileptologist calls "seasonal seizures" which is when a person will have more seizures at certain times of the yr. I have
more seizures in the fall and winter compared to the spring and summer do to the lack of serotonin in the fall and winter.
I was told to sit around bright lights and that has helped me out a lot.

Years ago when I was a kid in my teens (1970's) a lot of people would call a seizure a spell or fit and it drove me crazy and
that's because people didn't know much about epilepsy or they just didn't talk about much back then compared to today.
You should keep track of your seizures if you haven't started to already along with your monthly cycle it could be that your
seizures are happening do to hormones changing every month. That's the biggest problem I had then my Dr. put me on
Diamox and told me to take it 5 days before my cycle and that helped reduce my seizures a lot and then I would go off
the med until the following month.
I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You,

Sue

Hi Rheaceleste,

I have bi lateral lesions on my brain which trigger absence and complex partial seizures for me. You may be having what
my Epileptologist calls "seasonal seizures" which is when a person will have more seizures at certain times of the yr. I have
more seizures in the fall and winter compared to the spring and summer do to the lack of serotonin in the fall and winter.
I was told to sit around bright lights and that has helped me out a lot.

Years ago when I was a kid in my teens (1970's) a lot of people would call a seizure a spell or fit and it drove me crazy and
that's because people didn't know much about epilepsy or they just didn't talk about much back then compared to today.
You should keep track of your seizures if you haven't started to already along with your monthly cycle it could be that your
seizures are happening do to hormones changing every month. That's the biggest problem I had then my Dr. put me on
Diamox and told me to take it 5 days before my cycle and that helped reduce my seizures a lot and then I would go off
the med until the following month.
I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You,

Sue
Yes my calendar shows that I definitely have focals at the time of ovulation and right before my cycle starts over. I have started progesterone cream for half of the month and that has almost gotten rid of the focals completely until last Friday because I forgot a dose of briviact the day before so had a focal to bilateral tonic clonic. My head has been hurting since after that seizure like there is pressure in it and won’t go away no matter how much water or OTC meds I take. Hoping it will go away soon.

Try doing cold water therapy. Put a cold washcloth on your face and the back of your neck this in turn helps
calm the neurons down in the brain and stop seizures. I was in a medical study with this a few yrs. ago and each
time before I felt a seizure coming on I would put the washcloth on my face and it stopped the seizure. If you headache
continues you may want to call your Dr. or neuro and let them know about it. I wish you the best. Also you may want
to check out the medical marijuana I buy it online at pluscbd.com I buy the mouth spray in the mint flavor and it has stopped
many more seizures.
Wishing you the best of luck and May God Bless You,
Sue

Also my mom (who i currently live with) refuses to refer to them as seizures or epilepsy. She calls them “spells” and says I should do a parasite cleanse because maybe I got something from Mexico when I was 17. Never mind that the focals started in my pre teen years and when I tried to explain to her back then she brushed them off as “just de ja vu” and I was never seen by a doctor for them until my first focal to bilateral at 28 years old. Ugh.

Are you seeing a neurologist? Has your mom ever gone with you to an appointment? Ask her to if she doesn't. The dr would be able to tell her about things. She'd be able to ask questions too and get answers from the dr. Hearing information come directly out of the dr's mouth is a whole lot different than hearing it come out of someone else's.

Back
Top Bottom