Football World Cup 2010

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

What link? can't find it. I'd use google translate anyway.

But first: tonight Paraguay-Germany play for 3rd and 4th place.

Tomorrow is D-day.

Want a link? Amsterdam last tuesday -

All about our team in Africa in English http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/teams/team=43960/index.html

Our orange team won all 7 games in the tournament and they lost not one game on the way to Africa. Not the beautiful football we're used to see but they did it 'the German way' (as we call it here in Holland.)
Now we're hoping they bring the world cup to Amsterdam. But even if they don't win, they will be welcomed as heroes because we're so proud to be finalists!

Last edited:
Curious as to why the color orange (oranje) was picked to represent the Netherlands?

Orange is the color of the Dutch Royal Family. (One of the earliest members of the Royal Family was "William of Orange").

Haha, I'm not surprised you don't know why orange is our National colour (even more than the red-white-blue in our national flag.) It takes a little Dutch history to understand.

Our royal family is known as the House of Orange-Nassau. The father of the Nation 'William the Silent' (Willem van Oranje) is the greatgreatgreatgrandfather of our Queen Beatrix and our crown prince Willem Alexander (their last name is Van Oranje-Nassau.)

The role of Spain in our national history makes tonights football final allmost as emotional as a Holland-Germany final would have been...

Our National hymn is called 'Wilhelmus van Nassau', it's an original 16th century protest song from the rebellians against Spain. So the Dutch hymn will make a symbolic start of the game tonight.

Although Charles V resisted the Protestant Reformation, he ruled the Dutch territories wisely with moderation and regard for local customs, and he did not persecute his Protestant subjects on a large scale. His son Philip II inherited his antipathy for the Protestants but not his moderation. Under the reign of Philip, a true persecution of Protestants was initiated and taxes were raised to an outrageous level. Discontent arose and William of Orange (with his vague Lutheran childhood) stood up for the Protestant (mainly Calvinist) inhabitants of the Netherlands. Things went badly after the Eighty Years' War started in 1568, but luck turned to his advantage when Protestant rebels attacking from the North Sea captured Brielle, a coastal town in present-day South Holland in 1572. Many cities in Holland began to support William. During the 1570s he had to defend his core territories in Holland several times, but in the 1580s the inland cities in Holland were secure. William of Orange was considered a threat to Spanish rule in the area and was assassinated in 1584 by a hired killer sent by Philip.
William was succeeded by his second son Maurits. Maurits was created stadtholder (military commander) of the Dutch Republic in 1585.
Maurits died unmarried in 1625 and left no legitimate children. He was succeeded by his half-brother Frederick Henry (Dutch: Frederik Hendrik), youngest son of William I.

Finally his greatgreatgrandson Willem V became the first king of our monarcy: Willem I, king of The United Kingdom of the Netherlands in 1815. He was succeded by his son Willem II. His son Willem III married queen Emma, who gave birth to our first Queen Wilhelmina. Her daughter Juliana was the second queen and mother to Beatrix, our current queen. Our crown prince Willem Alexander will be king Willem IV after Queen Beatrix.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Orange-Nassau

Last edited:
Netherlands - Spain 0-1 in the last minutes of extra time. :(

We're very disappointed but what an exciting game it was.

The best team won, congratulations to Spain.

We'll honour our team with their silver medal next tuesday and they get to meet the queen.

It was hard to see either team lose, but I'm glad it didn't go into penalty kicks. Well-fought on both sides, but it did seem that Spain had the edge overall.

Yes im watching England v Italy as i type.Good game so far,quite end to end but as a Scotsman im have to support Italy,it would be an injustice if i did not!!!

But i fancey Germany to win the final against Spain

Italy?
Germany vs Spain?
Portugal hasn't played yet, have they?

We are at the semi final stage now,Potrugal v Spain and Italy v Germany,i was jumping ahead for the finalists.

Dont think Portugal strong enough to beat Spain although they do have Ronaldo so i suppose anythings possible.Italy are gonna have to play a hell off a lot better than they did against England to beat Germany....................but suppose we will see.

Last edited:
I would like to see somebody beat Spain.
I think they have an attitude of invincibility that invites a slap down.
Portugal may not be strong enough, but hopefully, they will put some caution back into Spain.

Our Dutch team, finalist and runner up in the world cup, was the biggest disappoinment of the whole tournament... We Dutch supporters are so embarrased. :(

Being Dutch I would like to see Italy beat Germany. To be honest, Spain again proved to play the best football and I go for a final between Spain and Italy.

Last edited:
The Dutch seem to always implode at the main tournaments,i dont really undesrtand why? Is it a clash off egos or what? I know they reached they reached the last world cup final,but played terrible and with the players they have should be doing much better.

Spain are streets ahead off anyone else at the moment,bar the Germans,who i have a sneaky suspicion might just overturn them this year,if of course they reach the final.

ps-Thats Portugal and Spain just started extra time,so you maght get your wish Shelley!!!

Last edited:
Never mind Shell,Spain win on penalties maybe they will get their comeuppance in the final,eh?

neil, when does it come on tv?
This side of the pond, our football is not quite like yours.
I couldn't find a listing.

Never mind.
It shows around 1:30 pm (13h30)
I am employed, there is no way to watch.

Back
Top Bottom