found a kid with memory problems

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

seizuregirl

Stalwart
Reaction score
My sister has reminded me again, and again since last night because she thought it was a great thing that I did (and it was!).

I was at a birthday party yesterday for 1 of my nephew's and a friend of his has memory problems too, after everyone was introduced, he came to me and asked if I was, "The Aunt with the bad memory?"

I told him that I was, and immediately he launched into why he has bad memory too, he fell of the top bunk bed when he was younger and hit his head on the edge of the lower bunk, and now he can't remember, "hardly anything!" and asked, "Why did you have surgery?", "How much did they take out?" and, "Can you really not remember anything too?"

I told him everything that happened, what it was like having the hospital stays, before the surgery, what is was like having surgery, and what's happening now. He said that he was a, "Happy guy knowing that I'm not the only 1!"

That's great -- it's terrific that you were able to provide comfort and empathy. It's always nice to know that you're not alone. [Thanks CWE!]

I know it's GREAT to find someone else who has the same problems that you do too, memory loss for example. I'm assuming that he's a younger child and he'll know he's not the only one out there who has the same problem. People without memory loss just don't understand what it's like.

I'm 42 now and I've got horrible memory loss. I'll forget things that have happened months to years ago. I've gone to concerts with my husband and the singer will have done all sorts of big things while he was on stage. We might start talking about the singer/band, Judas Priest for example, and I'll ask my husband if I've ever went to see him. My husband will tell me we've seen them twice. He'll tell me that Rob Halford (the lead singer) comes out on stage riding a motorcycle. But I don't remember a thing about it and he can't believe it.

Some things do stay up there though. It seems like it's only things that really loved doing. There was a job that I'd worked at 20 years ago that I loved and I remember so much about it that I could probably go back and work at again because I remember so much about it. Really funny things seem to stay up there too.

He's 13, and you're right, the people without memory problem's don't understand, unless it happens to them, what it's like.

He's here now, he's staying the night, and is trying to keep up a conversation with my nephew and I at the same time, it isn't working too well... The 1st question he asked me, "Do you remember my name? Cause I don't remember yours!"

And no, I don't remember his name!

My memory problems are more short term issues. They're caused by Topamax and Zonisamide. I know these (especially Topamax) are the cause because prior to taking it, I never had this issue. I began using this AED when I started having complex partials.

Back
Top Bottom