G.a.r.d. Diet realization

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

John Sturgis

Pillar
Reaction score
I am a 61 year old male. I have had nocturnal seizures 1/week all my life. I take selected AED medication. I have been adjusting my diet over the last 20 years to eliminate those foods that seem to cause a seizure to occur or increase the intensity of the seizure. I noticed that my diet has evolved into something very similar to the G.A.R.D. diet. Three times I have had brain surgery approx. 25 years ago:1-removal of AVM 2-brain abscess present, removal of infected bone flap 3-left fronto-temporal cranioplasty. Again, I have had seizures all my life but they no longer occur with my new evolved diet & my medication. I AM SURE that glutatmate food sensitivity is a cause because if I slip & eat a MSG altered product I will have a seizure that night. Please contact me if you want to talk!

Hi John, welcome to the forum. :hello:

Fantastic that you have attained good seizure control with the help of the GARD diet. There are several members here who are also trying it.

Hi John, welcome!

Great to hear that your diet/nutrition changes have led to better seizure control. I hope the doctors are paying attention...

Best,
Nakamova

John,

Hooray for you!!! Non-medication answers to controlling seizures is the very best outcome possible. It shows how strong you are that you kept at it all these years, and have recognized your triggers. Way to go!!!

The difficult time to stay on the gard diet is when I travel. It's so hard to know where to eat. I wish there was a guide that would dhow all ok-gard diet restaurants. Maybe there will be in years to come.

Thanks

Great to here the positive results you are having... and I agree with you that it is difficult to travel. Grocery stores are our best bet when in question. Big Cities are showing increases in GF restaurants.

Hi Robin,
Interesting article in today's USA TODAY. It's a Q/A column done with the John Mackey, the CEO of Whole Foods an organic & natural foods supermarket. They are drastically increasing in size throughout the USA. Last year they posted sales of about 8 billion dollars. People are becoming more conscious of what foods/drinks that they metabolize on. If you get a chance take a look on-line at it. It's in the money section of the paper. If you can't get it & you want to read it let me know & I'll email it to you.
Thanks, John Sturgis

perseverance

hello John:

hats off to you, and your journey to get that better quality of life we all strive for. Slowly but surely, society and mainstream medicine just might catch up with those of us fighting to get normalcy in our lives. I have slowly cut out foods that are guilty of altering my brain, and continue to do so.:bigsmile:

Hi John,
Whole Foods has a facebook page, and I do interact with them there. The store in my neighborhood does have special classes for specific issues. They are very helpful, and even have a service that will walk you around the store, suggesting and explaining products.

Hello, John

I do believe that I've seen somewhere that there is a listing of places that are safe to eat at. You'll have to give me a little bit of time to think on that one....I will check the back of a couple of my gluten free cookbooks, but it seems to me it was on a website..........*scratching head*

Give me a day or two, then send me a PM. I'll know by then.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom