GARD diet and Azomite supplement controlling seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Thanks Bernard. Where have you been? I know, you were right here all along! You and all the other knowlegable people sure would have saved me hours of research! I still have many pounds of Azomite left, my son's okay on it, but I will keep seaweed in mind for later. It's not one of the things I read somewhere that's become polluted is it? Gosh, there were so many I can't even remember.

Well Bernard, thought some more and decided to stick with the Azomite. I believe he just might need a clay, I know I do, and for less than a penny a day, I can afford it.

New Ideas for Food

Does anyone know where we can get recipes and ideas for food on the GARD? I would be grateful to anyone who might have some ideas or products that are edible on the diet. I have been able to find gluten free breads, bagels, spagetti, etc. We do eat some meat (steak twice a month). Alot of fish only because I figure that the fish has the omega 3 and balances out the negative glutemate. We do eat vegetables and fruit, but my daughter is is tempted to stray because we always eat the same things.

I appreciate everyone in this forum. You guys are awesome and have given me strength to continue this diet.

Thanks... Donnalee

If anyone has recipes, would they please put them in the GARD diet Social Group. I just joined it today. With one thread, it is going to take me awhile to get the knowledge of this diet.

Hi, themanymens, You say that this supplement is not fit for people. Would you please tell me about that.

Okay first I do have recipes and will begin posting them. Second, Dl, I'm not understanding the meat thing? Is it because of the corn, soy fed to them?

Ruth, if you are talking about the Azomite, I DO believe it is fit for human consumption. Farmers feed it to their livestock. However, if we wait for it to get approved by the FDA for humans, we'll die waitng! That and this diet is the only thing my son is taking right now and I TRUST IT OR I WOULDN'T GIVE IT TO HIM! Azomite is a mineral based clay. I believe it gives him all his minerals and the clay removes toxins

Ruth, did you look at list of some of the foods we ate?

This is directly from Dogtor J's website.

Glutamic acid (glutamate) and aspartic acid (aspartate) are two non-essential amino acids- our bodies manufacture all of the required amounts of these two amino acids from other proteins. Glutamate is one of the principle neurotransmitters in our brain. The amount of glutamate at the synapse is regulated by the adjacent glial cell (astrocyte), which removes excess glutamate from the synapse to prevent over-excitation of the impulse-receiving neuron. Glutamate is not only neurostimulating, it is potentially neuro-lethal. For example, excessive glutamate at the synapse is the described pathomechanism in Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS), with that excess leading to the death of that neuron. Similarly, the "glutamate cascade" is the known cause of brain death regardless of the cause of our bodily death. Therefore, it is clearly very important for the synapse to have the proper level of glutamic acid present at any given moment. Excessive glutamate can lead to overstimulation of neurons (e.g. seizures, reduced pain threshold, sleep disorders, and emotional disturbances) or neuronal death (e.g. ALS).

To all the good people on this forum:

I’m signing off for a while. I think I still have my own healing to do. But before I go, I just want to say that I am so very proud of my son. He is my hero. Through all that I told about, he never once said, “Why me”? Most of what I told you I only learned after the fact.

He protected his loved ones from knowing about the increasing devastation to his ability to think or even find words at times. His confusion and the brain “fog”, the increasing number of seizures he had. The escalating amount of aeds and their horrible side effects. The loss of jobs and income. His constant battles to over-come depression, lethargy, his increasing inability to cope. His eventual shut down of all feelings. His inability to connect. He never once blamed the doctors, and there were so many he could have blamed because not one ever brought up the fact that he may have “allergies”. Not one primary care doctor, epileptologist, neurologist, or mental health therapist ever even suggested it might be allergies, even though I told so many that he was always “plugged up”.

I can finally say I’m grateful for that last cluster of seizures that sent him spiraling to the depths of hell and this family with him. Other wise I wonder how long he would have struggled alone, how long he would have beat himself up.

And he beat himself up plenty. If he only did this or did that, he could “fix” himself or cope better. If he cut out fats, exercised more, and ate soy. “Soy is good for you”. So, he switched to soy burgers, soy milk, soy ice-cream, soy snacks and God only knows how much he was getting in everything else. He tried to overcome everything by “pulling himself up by his own bootstraps”, until his body finally said enough. He researched “epilepsy” only to find the same answers over and over again until, hopeless, he finally gave up. No, HE never asked. “Why me”…

But I asked it plenty of times, “Why my son?” There is no epilepsy in our family, but unbeknownst to me there were plenty of allergies. I just didn’t know they were allergies. I did not understand any more than most, and maybe even less about all the symptoms of allergies, stress and depression. And I wonder why no one asked about other illnesses in the family? The only thing any doctor ever asked, “Is there any epilepsy in your family?” No, but there is so much information out there about how these things ARE RELATED.

I am sorry that I couldn’t or wouldn’t see what was really happening to my son. I’m sorry he felt he ever had to “protect” me. I’m sorry I ever made excuses for my son. He doesn’t need any excuses. Our medical community does.

I am sick to death of finding that mental illness is still too much of something to be hidden and ashamed of. I’m sick to death of men not being able to say, “I need help”. And it is worse for men; at least the Epilepsy Foundation got that one right.

I’m sick to death of hearing about useless, repeated tests. About the devastating effects of aed’s when they might not even be necessary. I don’t ever want to read about another neurologist who threatens to drop a patient for wanting to try alternative medicine.
If epileptogists nor neurologists don’t know about the “big four”, I want to know, WHY?
I want to know why there are not headlines blaring across the WebPages of every foundation that is supposed to be helping those with epilepsy?

And I’m sick of good, decent, hardworking, everyday people being lied to about the health risks of natural fats and foods so they can hawk their canola oil and soy, and other death and destruction filled, “ADDICTIVE SUDO FOODS”. I am sick to dearth of how these purveyors of death are trying to stop farm to consumer buying and continually lobbying the FDA to promote their garbage as “HEALTHY”.

Autism is now 1 in 150. How many years will it take to reach 1 in 2 at the rate we’re going? France urges no soy for children under three. That is a start. When every country starts urging women who want to become pregnant or who are pregnant to stop eating all of the big four and all processed foods, including so called, “health foods” then maybe we will start reversing the epidemics in autoimmune diseases of children. And when the powers that be, that are supposed to be protecting food supplies, finally put our health above corporate greed, I pray these toxic foods will be gone from the entire world and it’s children.

Autism is just one of so many epidemics, and I wonder how many of them will develop epilepsy? I wonder how many will develop Type 1 diabetes because they were fed soy formula. Asthma? And I wonder who will take care of them after mom and dad are gone?

If there are any men reading this who understands what my son has gone through, I urge you to start a community of men, where men feel free to address their problems without fear, without having to “tough it out, be a man, pull yourself up, etc., etc.” I don’t believe anything can work if the brain is not getting the nutrients it needs to be healthy, but it can help to know others are experiencing the same symptoms. I know not everyone has the extreme symptoms my son had, but I do believe many men and teenagers are not getting the support they need as males.

And finally once again I nominate John B Symes, D.V. M. better known as, Dogtor J, for the Noble Peace Prize. How fitting it would be for him to receive a prize started by Alfred Nobel, an industrialist with a conscience who also suffered from withdrawal, migraines, depression and epilepsy!

I will continue to answer private mail and will always be grateful that no matter how difficult it was, how much pain it brought back, how overly sensitive I was, or how many mistakes I made, that I finally had the courage to tell my son’s story. I appreciate the forum members who welcomed me and gave me understanding and compassion and their own wisdom. I wish you all the best. Sincerely, Uriah’s Mom

Well said THEMANYMENS...

Again, as I have told you before.. Your son being seizure free for 6 months now, inspires me and my daughter. You are a great mom and because of the forum and your post, I continue to KNOW that it's never to late to learn things that will work.

I will continue to pray for Uriah and for you as his support.

Thanks for you articulation about the woes of the food industry. We need more people with your bravery to speak up about it's devastation to our nation as a whole, but in particular to the children and adults who have additional sensitivities to those poisons, and to the eventual devastation that will ensue as a result of ingesting alot of these foods.

God Bless you and your family...

DL

To all the good people on this forum:

I’m signing off for a while. I think I still have my own healing to do.

I am sick to death of finding that mental illness is still too much of something to be hidden and ashamed of. I’m sick to death of men not being able to say, “I need help”.

There is an Epilepsy and Mental Illnes Social Group for those who feel that they need it. It is not hidden and ashamed of at CWE.

the manymens you asked me if I had a list of the foods we cannot eat. I probably do not have a complete list on the GARD diet, yet.
Soy, dairy products, grains, bread, processed foods, in cans or boxes.

Please give me more of the list. I was told I can have non-fat milk on the diet and brown rice.

I ate a pumkin pie tonight and had an awful migraine. I am going to elimiate that food from my diet. I cannot just jump on the diet. I am going to take it slow and eliminate one food at a time.

I am going to watch my seizures and see what reaction after I have had a meal to see what foods in my diet caused the problem and then eliminate it. It will be the same for my migrane headaches.

Last edited:
Thanks

We have been following the G.A.R.D now for some time (a few years) and daughter has found her almost seizure free life since we discovered it. She now past 3 years only has probs if accidental food or MSG ect.

(Thanks to dogtorj's site which tipped us off to gluten ect.) Prior to going GARD, having almost continual auras and several big seizures a day WHILE MEDICATED. Also had PDD learning and memory problems - dark circles under eyes, swollen lips, losing weight, multiple rashes and allergies, sinus infections.

Her neuro said no evidence gluten free would work but probably would not hurt her, yeah well- glad we did not listen to him and tried anyway. It (going G.A.R.D) gave DD her life back!

We still have room for improving her diet, I study as much as I can, any info help advice appreciated. We are restrictive as far as no Soy, Corn, Wheat, Gluten free, no artificial anything, no colors no flavors. Basically everything fro scratch. Now cows milk or dairy that is not goat, no cooked goat products. Also watch estrogen levels in foods... I have not found a toothpaste that she can have, any help??? Anyone?

Thank you for posting this experience, we are still getting the diet really figured out tweeking it here and there, a minor setback was recently dentist appt/cleaning/filling where they used a gel on her teeth that contained a gelatin I think and artificial sweetener also I think the filling itself was bad and possibly the shot(s) I told them she couldn't have artificial sweeteners/gelatin/flavors, well she ended up having 1st seizure in year and it was a doozy. Last year after dental appt, a couple days later she had seizure as well.

Still on Trileptal daily as Doctor said if we took her off we could be charged if she had seizure injury or death because she needs the medication (yeah same ones that did not help before we started eliminating glutamic acid/aspartic acid, MSG.) So biding time until 18, or seizure free one year. Dentist appt ruined her record this time.

She is still doing well though. She did react to her vaccines badly as a baby (why I quit getting them) and has had autism spectrum disorder and memory problems, learning and speech challenges that *all have improved with the G.A.R.D*

I guess in short- thank you for posting this and to anyone else there is hope!

I am still tweaking the diet after 3 years. I am so excited though, we met a nutritionist / MD today and he talks my language. So excited!

There is HOPE.

And finally once again I nominate John B Symes, D.V. M. better known as, Dogtor J, for the Noble Peace Prize. How fitting it would be for him to receive a prize started by Alfred Nobel, an industrialist with a conscience who also suffered from withdrawal, migraines, depression and epilepsy!

:agree:
:woot:
:clap:

Thanks Meetz. I guess I should have qualified my anger and that I'm not talking to anyone who is happy with their control of this illness, the way their doctors have treated it, etc. This forum is not the only one I've read over the years and there are so many desparate people out there, esp., teenagers and heart sick parents who have tried the traditional route. I have walked away so many times because I couldn't stand to read one more story.

I'm not asking everyone to join the bandwagon.

I have read and read and thought, "These are all such good, decent people". People like Bernard who started this forum, Robin, you, Ruth, everyone who takes the time, who tells their story and tries to offer hope and comfort on any of these types of forum; and there are many, many out there.

But there are many who cannot offer hope and comfort. Some don't even want hope and comfort. They want and need answers. The teenager who went to her neurologist and was told, "If you try an alternative you're no longer my patient." And so she didn't.
She is just one out of hundreds that I read who have remained hopeless and lost. How many never told their story?

Taking someone's health into your own hands, without benefit of some kind of doctor is terrifying, yet so many people have no other choice.

Autism is an epidemic now, where it used to be 1 in 10,000 it is now 1 in 150 or less. And if it keeps getting worse? How many of these children will eventually have seizures? It is all related.

All the plants, animals, the honeybees, the trees, etc., are here for a purpose. Our bodies were designed to eat food to obtain a balance of nutrients. Those nutrients work together to do the job they were meant to do. You can cause even more problems just by taking one vitamin or one mineral and not taking it's partner in the work they need to do. Vitamins, minerals, amino acids, micronutrients all work together. It is a master balancing job that our bodies were designed to do down to the minutest detail.

Scientist can tell us all this. The human body is incredible. All this knowledge. We should all be healthy esp. our children. Yet autoimmune dieases have reached epidemic proportions and no one can tell us why?

So many hard-working decent people out there. So many household where both parents must work to put food on the table. Or single parents who must do it all by themselves. Do they have the time and energy to investigate everything out there? Or to grow their own? So, they hear that soy is good for you so they switch to soy milk and soy burgers. They hear to eat margerine instead of butter and to use canola oil. Vitamin packed cereal and milk is good for you. Sugar is bad so use sugar substitutes. And for a treat take them to McDonald's because we no longer use lard and our burgers are 100% beef. And take your vitamins.

I know all about it. I have been there. And I wonder, how many struggling people are out there who pay more for their health insurance than they do for their house payment
or their food bill? They go to doctor after doctor, go through the round of sophisticated tests that can tell them what is not wrong, but give no answers as to what is wrong or how to fix it, or even control it.

I read a blog about a woman whose husband was a manager at McDonald's and she felt looked down upon by her church! How many good, decent people work for Monsanto? We have to work. We don't make the rules. We have no control, no power over food or chemical production.

Dogtor J posted that he found that if he ate non-grass raised chicken it affected him. You might find organic chicken at the health food store, but that does not mean it is grass fed, free range. So, what do we eat? Where to find and afford meat that is how much a pound when you can't afford to turn around?

I am not angry at the good people of America and I am not pointing fingers. I am not some health food nut who looks down her nose at anyone. How could I possibly? We should be able to trust our food. Doctors should take more than two days worth of nutrition classes. Why are we all following the advice of a vet? Because our doctors gave us no answers. I would nominate Dogtor J for the Nobel Peace Prize.

I laughed when I read your above quote about following the advice of a vet, I too have been asked that Q... Having a best friend Veterinarian and having worked for veterinarians I have a great deal of respect for them obviously, they have to be everything to everybody and do it with sympathy & sincerity daily often out in the field covered in mud and blood! It often turns out to be a nutritional thing with animals I've noticed and maybe because their lives are shorter (animals, not veterinarians!) and they are more under a controlled environment we can see it clearly. But like you said so well "because doctors gave us no answers" ... how eloquent!

I would also add (in jest) that if God spoke through Balaam's ass he can use whoever/whomever He chooses, hehe (sorry Veterinarians that was a bit of humor at your expense ;-)

IMHO Veterinarians are less apt to let their education get in the way of their learning or however Einstein said that.

Having raised and bred and owned animals and had large flocks of sheep (intensive animals to raise) herds of milking goats, hunting and processing our meat, growing gardens, making cheese, observing nature and the connections involved.... I believe has given me a closer look first hand how nutrition plays a key role in human, soil, animal health- so maybe that too made me more open minded? To eat real food to experience the life cycle is to be the ultimate conservationist.

Desperate times desperate measures, I literally was grasping for help for our daughter who had little quality of life and was getting worse all the time... and my gut was telling me things I could not put finger on (nutrition wise) until I was steered to dogtorjs articles, further digging and meeting right folks (divine intervention?) furthered our research and gave us what we needed- the information to equip ourselves to make changes! That is the important part, get informed, study like a perpetual student, snoop like Sherlock Holmes and use you INTUITION, the body and brain will help you if you attune yourself to listening to your bodies.

A great book (although not gluten free or about seizures) is In Defense Of Food... a worthwhile read to begin putting nutrition and food into balance and perspective. I rarely reccomend reading other that dogtorjs site but that book it so..... reasonable, sane, balanced a breath of fresh air!

With so many of you, I can relate to you so much. (((hugs))) I am afraid though I do teeter on the edge of sanity on this issue at times- my passion for nutrition has become a happy but all consuming quest. I can come across as a "health nut" and for that I apologize ahead.

Daughter and I made a promise to each other that we will do whatever it takes- so that nobody else if we can help it- will go through what she did or needlessly suffer because of simply not having the simple knowledge it takes to make choices to help themselves.

We have a mission to learn, educate and become even more informed. We want to pay it forward.
Helping others is what life is all about!

Sincerely, Jill Loveland Weible (I have a facebook- come be my friend :)
I am the mother of Maggie "Magpie" Montana, USA

Back
Top Bottom