[GARD/GFCF] GARD diet testimonials

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Gard

Found this very interesting , will check into it more,I personally feed Homecooked or raw to my pets .Kibble is like a dry treat extra and grain free.

One of the articles made me realize the role hypothyroidism played in lowering my seizure threshold. We never stop finding out new things. I am thinking of trying the G.A.R.D. diet also.

Urgent Help: Ketogenic Diet, Experts etc. Thx.

Hi,
I have just recently become a member of the blog in an effort to try and find additional support for our 19 year old son. My son's seizures began at age 9 and he has been diagnosed with frontal lobe epilepsy/nocturnal seizure disorder. His seizures are very difficult to control and he has a number of drug allergies, hence, he is on a combination of Sabril (causing perm. blindness in adults), Frissum, Keppra and Topomax.

Since the Spring of this year, he has gone into 'status' seizure 4 times, and has required heavy doses of phenobarbital and general anesthetic to stop the seizures.

My son has now started the ketogenic diet (July 2010) and had exceptional seizure control over 2 months and now his control varies substantially from day to day. Some days he doesn't have any ketones in his urine and has seizures (despite being on a 15 carb. limit every day, and taking MCT oil daily, and drinking no carb. whip cream). We cannot find any dietition or expect of any kind who is familiar with this diet. We live in Edmonton Alberta, Canada. Please if anyone could provide ideas, contacts, etc. it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

There are some discussion forums dedicated to the ketogenic diet where you can find parents experienced in administering the diet, but you should be asking around your local medical community for a dietician recommendation I would think.

http://forum.matthewsfriends.org/ - keto diet UK style

http://www.charliefoundationforum.org/forum/ - keto diet USA style

The Charlie Foundation main website also has links to other resources that you might find helpful:

http://www.charliefoundationforum.org/

Hi Robin,

It's great to hear from you! Thank YOU for the positive comments and encouragement. I'm glad that the word is spreading through your family. It is running like wildfire through mine and my new extended family (my daughter got married last month). Turns out, she married into a family of celiacs, including her new husband. He is doing GREAT on the diet (allergies, chronic fatigue, IBS...the usual suspects).

And I'm glad that the viral model makes sense to you. I spoke on this specifically at this year's North American Veterinary Conference in Orlando. It made sense to them, too. It's just that most, including myself for years, don't think of viruses from the right perspective. As it turns out, they are one of those things that were meant to do good but were forced into becoming "pathogens" by our actions. All we have to do is see the good that they do and HOW they do that good and we can see how WE made them bad.

Once again, "We have met the enemy and he is..........us." (Pogo)

Bernard just sent me a great link to a group that does grants for studying things like The G.A.R.D. It's time to explore that avenue. Perhaps some media coverage will help. The pump has been primed by the (limited) success of the ketogenic and modified Atkins diets, both of which limit many of the things in The GARD but for different reasons. Once we see the mechanisms behind lectin damage, we can see that some will not respond until these antibody-sized proteins are completely eliminated, not just limited. I tell people to think "peanut allergy" in order to get a feel for the degree of sensitivity to these proteins (gluten, dairy, soy, corn) that some experince. Gluten kills neurons as can the others. And we are talking about VERY small quantities in some.

Keep in touch.

John
Hi Doctor J!

I go through your website often and would like to the diet for my son.

He is 9 yrs and started having seizures last year after the 3 rd cluster of seizures he was put on keppra.

His epilepsy is idiopathic. Please advise what tests should I run.If epilepsy is triggered by viruses how can I treat the viruses.

Thanks and regards
Tunula

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom