Gender & Epilepsy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

renee97

New
Reaction score
It has been quite a while ago, probably well over a year, but I was a captive audience with a retired surgeon who essentially stated that hormones and seizures are related. While he did not come out and go further to say that women are more likely to have epilepsy then men, that was certainly the implication that he gave. Has there ever been any research or studies or numbers on this? Are women more susceptible to epilepsy and / or seizures then men? Are there any numbers to indicate that men who get it might "only" be getting it from previous generations? Just thought I would ask.
r97

epiepsy & gender

everything i have seen or read says epilepsy shows no prejudicious; gender, race, national origin. hormones and hormonal changes effect seizure conditions; but are not the underlying cause.

I did read something not too long ago that stated women are more likely to have petit mals, but it did not say why.
I know I had hysteromcy at age 27 and haven't been on hormones in years and I didn't develop it until age 47. My neuro thinks my is related to either one of the multiple bacteria infections I had as a result of trauma or the IV meds that I was on 24/7 for two years.

boys are more likely to get childhood E. syndromes

Most childhood epilepsy syndromes (Infantile Spasms, Lennox Gastaut Syndrome, SMEI/Dravet syndrome, MAE/Doose syndrome, Othahara syndome, ESES, Landau Kleffner syndrome) -both inherited and not inherited- occur more in boys than in girls.
Aicardi syndrome is a typical girl-syndrome, boys with Aicardi are very rare. Same with Rett syndrome witch often causes E. too.

http://jnnp.bmj.com/cgi/content/abstract/75/5/773
Medial temporal lobe epilepsy (MTLE) occurs more frequently in men than in women.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15634622
About choosing drugs and gender.

Last edited:
I did read something not too long ago that stated women are more likely to have petit mals, but it did not say why.
My understanding is that there is no scientific proof that one gender would be more likely to have E than another. However, statistically there are more women with E than men.

I wish there were studies as to which areas of the world have more cases.

Back
Top Bottom