Getting EEG electrode gel/glue out of your hair

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I've got a question for anyone who has had a sleep-deprived EEG done.

I've heard horror stories about getting the gel/glue out of one's hair after the test is done -- if you've had this test done, what was your experience of removing the gel? What worked best for you?

Thanks for ANY tips!

I've been having EEGs (including sleep deprived) since 1990. Some of the "gunk" is easier to remove than other but all of it will come out with one or two regular shampoos.
I had one VEEG where the stuff had to hold the electrodes on for 4 days and 4 nights ...... regular shampoo removed that with just two regular applications. No real problem at all.
IMHO any horror stories you've heard have been great exaggerations.
I bet you'll be just fine :D
Here's wishing you the very best.

Good luck with the VEEG Words&#s!

Well, it's over -- and I think that must get the gold-plated, grand prize bull-moose first place award for the Most Annoying Diagnostic Tool Ever.

So there was the electrodes, plus the extra-bonus abrasion-gel used to exfoliate the living bejeezus out of both my scalp AND my hair before they stick the electrodes on -- which hurts just as much as it sounds like! Whee!

Flashing lights, which don't bother me luckily, because the last thing I needed was another full-on spell since not having them for a while.

Then, coming home, shampooing the equally living bejeezus out of my scalp to get the gunk out of my hair, losing my temper on little sleep and ripping through the tangles to comb it out -- not good, as my hair is about butt-length -- and then a nice long nap.

Work tomorrow. And the next appt with the neurologist in a week. Joy.

But, it's over.

Hopefully the test will provide some conclusive answers for you.

NEXT TIME:

Before you get your EEG or vEEG

Get a FULL bottle of Fingernail polish remover with Aloe

When you get home - with a clean white towel - drap your head
over the sink and pour it over your head and if someone's with
you - have them use cotton balls to wipe off the edges of your
forehead and sides ... (be careful around your eyes).

Then wrap your head with a towel and let it soak for at least 2-4
minutes. Then shower it all off - and USING CONDITIONER - not
shampoo, massage your hair and let it soak in your hair for at
least 20 minutes. And rewrap with another towel for at least 20
minutes.

NOW you can wash your hair with shampoo and use conditioner
again. This time, it will only last maybe a day or two to get the
remainder of that stupid #)*&#&^%! glue residue off.

This is a trick I learned from a Tech years ago and it works! And
you will no longer look like the Werewolf or Bride of Frankenstein
either!

:D

Fingernail polish remover

That is so dangerous on several levels!

• Highly flamable!
    Very harsh on the skin
    The chemicals can react to other products used in the hair
    Can cause severe chemical burns of the scalp
    Can cause severe eye damage
    The chemicals can cause seizures to those sensitive
    The fumes alone can cause some to become ill.

Well - that's what they use every time when they remove the
electrodes off at the hospitals these days as well in the Doctor's
offices...

And plus --- consider all those women who have their manicures
and pedicures ... and they're still alive and have not yet been sent
flying to Venus, Mars, or Jupiter yet!

:lol:

southie said:

Well - that's what they use every time when they remove the
electrodes off at the hospitals these days as well in the Doctor's
offices...

And plus --- consider all those women who have their manicures
and pedicures ... and they're still alive and have not yet been sent
flying to Venus, Mars, or Jupiter yet!

:lol:

Not my doctor! She has enough intellegence to know that chemical sensitivites can and do cause serious problems and not to mention SEIZURES. Check the list of ingredents. The warning states it's harmful to synthetic fabrics, wood finishes and plastics. This means it INTERACTS chemically. Plastic melts, cellular tissues burn and chemical compositions with other hair products such as, DYES, hennas, perms, setting lotion, conditioners, hairspray, mousse, pomades change structurally.

This can cause some pretty nasty things to happen to your hair and/or scalp. However if you want to pour a HIGHLY FLAMABLE chemical such as nail polish remover in your hair and keep it wrapped in a towl, be my guest! Just remember the label states DO NOT USE WHEN SMOKING. DO NOT STORE NEAR FIRE HEAT OR FLAMES.

I am one "those women who have their manicures and pedicures".

Everytime I walk in the place my eyes turn red and begin to water from the fumes even though they have an excellent air filtration system. If they turned off that system, there would be quite a few ladies passed out on the floor from the toxic fumes.

The last two times that Stacy went status she had had pedicures the day before. She is not getting any more pedicures just to be on the safe side. She said that she thinks the fumes contributed to her seizures.

Everybody has different tolerances. The fumes give me a headache if I'm around them too long.

There is a discussion about paint fumes being a seizure trigger for some members here, so I think it is wise to be cautious with fingernail polish remover (which is essentially a paint thinner/remover).

YES - they do give me headaches, at first they did, but afterawhile,
I guess you get used to it (?) I've had so many done!

I can remember the days when it was NEEDLES and not electrodes!
*GAG*! NOW that HURT!

Light my fire

You know that it would be untrue
You know that I would be a liar
If I was to say to you
Girl, we couldn't get much higher

Come on baby, light my fire
Try to set the night on fire

The time to hesitate is through
No time to wallow in the mire
Try now we can only lose
And our love become a funeral pyre

Try to set the night on fire, yeah

The time to hesitate is through
No time to wallow in the mire
Try now we can only lose
And our love become a funeral pyre

You know that it would be untrue
You know that I would be a liar
If I was to say to you
Girl, we couldn't get much higher

hair_fire.jpg

Oct., 2005 I had one of those wretched 4 day long VEEG and I was able to shampoo that nasty glue out at home with very little problem.

On March 6, I go back to the hospital for yet another VEEG and more glue.
I'm a great deal more worried about my brain than I am about my hair :shock:

Getting Glue out of hair

There is a product called collodion remover-you can do a Google search to purchase it. Not as much of a fire hazard as acetone.

My sons cub scout leader told me Downy fabric Softner might take it off. He told me it takes wallpaper glue off easily. Worth a try next time:ponder:

When my daughter had the VEEG, the glue was much stronger than the hour long EEG. The hospital where it was given, was very kind and took the time to get all of the glue out. Every last drop.

At the neurofeedback institute, they use something that is completely out with a light rub, and Rebecca has never once complained about any left over residue. I think the patient needs to request that it all be out, before they leave the room. You are paying for the hairdo, so you might as well get what you paid for.

An easy way to get Collodion glue out of your hair.

My partner just finished a 4-day EEG, and I was alarmed that the EEG tech said we should use Acetone and a de-licing comb to get the Collodion glue out of her hair.

As you all know if you've had this procedure, the skin is sensitive because it has been roughed up. And Acetone is a really harsh chemical that isn't supposed to be put on human skin, let alone irritated human skin.

I searched on Google, and found that there are some medical supply stores that carry Collodion Remover. Here are the links:

Medikamed.com

Mavidon.com

Obviously, we want to get the glue out today, so we can't wait for delivery of this Collodion remover from another state. But I'm going to tell our neurologist and EEG tech about it tomorrow afternoon at the follow-up appointment.

Another option is, go to the hair care products aisle for people of color, and buy a bottle of Pantene Relaxed & Natural Intensive Moisturizing Conditioner. (This has a higher oil content than the hair conditioner typically used by Caucasians.) Apply the conditioner liberally to your scalp where the glue is, and go ahead and massage it into your hair overall. Put on a shower cap (also found in this hair care section), and set a timer for 20 minutes. Take off the shower cap. The conditioner softens the glue considerably. You can now use a fine-tooth plastic comb to get the glue out of your hair. Wipe the comb on a paper towel frequently.

The reason you have to put conditioner all over is because when you're combing out the glue, if you hit a dry patch of hair you're going to get tangled.

When you get out as much of the glue as you can through combing, wash your hair thoroughly a couple times.

This is a lot easier on the skin than Acetone, but I would have preferred being able to use Collodion Remover. There were no pharmacies in town that carried it, however.

Good luck, everyone!

There is new product!

Just go to your local Walgreens and ask for a "hot hats" they look like shower caps. If you can't find them there ask your local pharmist or medical supply. They put that warm hat on my head and all I had to do was just wash my hair like I regularly do and the gel and glue came right out!
David Hair

Revision of my original post

To revise my original posting:

Another EEG/V EEG ARNP/TECH had informed me of
Tea Tree Oil Conditioner or Tea Tree Oil for hair. Allow
it to soak in hair after combing out what you can after
you arrive home and wash and use conditioner, then
apply the Tea Tree Oil - or - Conditioner AFTER you
have taken the shower, and let it sit in your hair for
about an half hour to an hour (depending on your hair
length).

Using a wide-tooth comb, you should be able to remove
the residue out, but I found that I could peel some of
this off with my fingers easily before combing. Then
shower to remove the excess of the Tea Tree Oil or
Conditioner, whichever item you purchased; then
shampoo and wash as you did before. Towel dry.

Then the remainder stubborn residue, just put small
amounts of the Tea Tree Oil or Conditioner in the
specific areas and leave it there and let the hair air
dry (you could blow dry, but it would make it more
difficult and take longer to get it removed).

Also for the redness on your face (but keep away from
eyes), you can add a dab to the area and rub it in like
a lotion - for Tea Tree Oil / Conditioner promotes healing
as well. I was surprised to see how quickly it worked.

Those stubborn areas were quickly gone in a few days,
instead of a week, and I didn't have any hair to cut, except
one area where there was a small "knot" that I couldn't
comb out one time and didn't feel like "fighting it".

Tea Tree Oil / Conditioner can be found anywhere from
Pharmacy to Regular Stores to Online to Beauty/Hair Salons.
Good thing about it is - a little bit goes a long ways! It is
"pricey", but when you consider how a little bit goes a long
ways; this stuff is amazing! I've used it for other things as
well, such as when I burned myself somehow, when my son
had chapped feet, and so on.... and I still have a lot of this
stuff left!

It works for ALL hair types - whether Dry, Normal, or Oily;
even though it specifically implies otherwise on the bottle,
for I have very Oily & Dry hair (weird hair). I just wished
someone had informed me of this ages ago ... because
this stuff is "Old News" and have been around for generations!

Ok from personal experience i have tried to use the fingernil polish remover to take glue out of my hair. DONT DO IT. SERIOUSLY!!!! It felt like my head was on fire. I cant beleive some one would even suggest that. its stupid, I knew it was stupid before i did it but a friend talked me into it. so please from personal expereince the glue is annoying but the scoll filling like it is on fire is much much worse.

Hair falling out.

I would just like to add my recent experience to this.
I finished my 2 week EEG monitoring experience a week and a half ago and over the past 3 days have experienced something horrible. While sure, it is vanity, it is something that for me is a huge confidence factor. My hair is falling out. Literally. I called the epilepsy clinic bawling, not understanding what was happening and the lady had told me that of her 18 years working there, I'm the 4th person she's seen it happen to. So while it is not common, I hope everyone is aware of it. She said due to the glue (collodion) or acetone they used to remove them, it kills the hair follicles and cause your hair to fall out. While she said I wouldn't go bald, she did she I'll lose the hair where those electrodes were (which I counted... there are 25). The hair will eventually grow back but most women here know how long something like that is going to take.
So while it is not common, I just want people to be aware as it was not something mentioned to me.

Back
Top Bottom