Getting younger through epilepsy...

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Well, this is kind of a weird one (for me anyway), and I don't know if it is the epilepsy, or maybe that I just started taking topamax. Every so often, for no apparent reason, I get almost a flashback to when I was younger. Be it when I was 15, or when I was 5. It is almost like I am at that particular moment in time, and I can feel everything I did back then, which is usually pretty pleasant. One of the most memorable is sitting in my parents back yard on a spring day with a nice breeze. These aren't just memories, but I am almost there for a moment (although I never actually lose awareness of where I am or what I am currently doing). It sure does beat the anger that the keppra was making me feel. Or just about every other strange and uncomfortable feeling I get from e and the medications. Anyway, just thought I would share. Happy Halloween everyone!!

SeizetheNight

Oh, Gosh. I hate to say this, but what you are experiencing may be a simple partial seizure. When I get them it's an extremely strong memory that comes out of nowhere. I call them a "memory zinger." It doesn't feel like I'm there, I'm definitely in the present moment. But the memory is so strong. For me it usually lasts less than 30 seconds.

Lol... not all seizures are completely unpleasant.

I was almost afraid someone would say that... Either some form of partial, or aura, or some type of vu. But regardless, it is a very pleasant experience in a very unpleasant situation. The upside to a down, I guess you could say. I would rather not have the rest, but I do really enjoy the one small aspect. :+) They are usually less then 30 seconds for me also. One question that this raises for me though, is, do you all think I should mention this to my doctor? Could it be at all relevant to anything? Anyway, thanks for te response.

SeizeTheNight

IMHO if you're not sure if you should mention it to your doctor, then mention it.

At the worst you gave irrelevant information & at best it explains something.

Also you say that they're less than 30 seconds. It might be best to time them because I know my sense of time is extremely distorted during any of my partials.

:agree:

I agree with Eric. Tell your doc. If he thinks it's a seizure he'll want you to include it in your seizure count.

Oh, I

LOVE the idea of getting YOUNGER through E. But the others are right, it's a simple partial, and you really should mention it to the doc. That part's a bummer--but on the upside, at least they're ENJOYABLE! :)

I've never had an enjoyable SP, although I have heard it does happen. Mine are always frightening. Here is some info on the deja vu experience and epilepsy:

http://science.howstuffworks.com/science-vs-myth/extrasensory-perceptions/question657.htm
Deja vu has been firmly associated with temporal-lobe epilepsy. Reportedly, deja vu can occur just prior to a temporal-lobe seizure. People suffering a seizure of this kind can experience deja vu during the actual seizure activity or in the moments between convulsions.

Hey, Cint. Thanks for the link. Here's a clarification of what I experience, 'cause it isn't deja vu. Deja vu is the feeling you recognize something that you shouldn't. The memory thing is something that I've actually experienced, the memory comes flooding back, and I can't get it out of my head or make it stop until it's ready to leave. It could be a good or bad memory. I don't think they have a name for it, but they should!

Back
Top Bottom