Ginkgo biloba

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

seagull

Veteran
Reaction score
I just started taking it ginkgo biloba it states good for memory cognitive functions I only been using it for a week but not notice anything yet also somewhat addicted to cod liver oil I had 30 capsules in one night I really should have fins the amount I chew it's lovely I know proberly to much ,my thinking is body eliminate what don't need.I think magnesium working head aches not so bad no full migraines last few weeks.From what I reading says be careful if got e taking ginkgo .I just wonder if others use it and find benefit

Hi Seagull, I don't know what medication you're on but be careful as herbs can interact badly with medications the way Ginkgo does with Dilantin & Depakote.
Alternative therapy including herbal drugs and complementary medicine is becoming increasingly popular. However, the rise in the incidence
of herb-drug interactions is causing concern, especially in the absence of warning labels addressing potential adverse effects.

We present the case of a 55-year-old male who suffered a fatal breakthrough seizure, with no evidence of non-compliance with his anticonvulsant medications. The autopsy report revealed sub-therapeutic serum levels for both anticonvulsants Depakote and Dilantin
http://jat.oxfordjournals.org/content/29/7/755.long

Also remember that taking too much of something can not only have bad effects on your body (think of drinking too much alcohol) but can put a strain on your liver & kidneys (which remove wastes from your system) by making them work much harder to process the excess Ginkgo that your body doesn't need.

One other thing to worry about with some supplements is that they may not actually contain what they say on the label. Don't know if this is the case in the UK, but in the US supplements are barely regulated.

Herbal stuff here under strick Eu rules.My worry is I need get blood into brain get some brain back my worry is the mild stroke I had few years ago the instructions say people with cognitive function memory loss this stuff good but did mention talk doc if had stroke...
Things like St. John's wart can cause bad things

Cool that your supplements are regulated so much better than here in North America.

Don't be too disappointed if the Ginkgo doesn't work.
Gingko biloba has been used for centuries as a medical herb, and the most popular claim made for its use was to enhance cognitive function. The justification for this claim was always thin – G biloba has a mild blood thinning effect. It was therefore claimed that the herbal drug would enhance blood flow to the brain and improve brain function.

However, this is not a plausible mechanism. The brain exquisitely regulates its own bloodflow, and suboptimal perfusion results in a widening of the blood vessels to increase flow. This autoregulation would not be enhanced by mild blood thinning in a healthy individual.
https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/ginkgo-biloba-no-effect/#more-3235

From what I understand, the best way to increase blood flow is to exercise regularly. I know when I worked out regularly I saw a big difference not just in my memory but in my mood as well.

ewww read that and I stopped.thanks for info..
was thinking of going Chinese meds but he don't understand me visa versa.i hear good and bad about that

Back
Top Bottom