Golf Players with Epilepsy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Ruth

New
Reaction score
I have found that there are real golf players with epilepsy. That is what this topic is all about.

TAIFA GOLF CLASSIC

GOLF PLAYERS WITH EPILEPSY SPONORSHIP TAIFA GOLF CLASSIC, APRIL 24, 2009

OUR CHALLENGE

For the past 19 years, the 425 plus members of the Tampa Association of Insurance and Finacial Advisors have organized the TAIFA Golf Classic.

The Epilepsy Services Foundation, Inc has benefited from the Golf Classic from it's inception, creating a better future and environment for persons affected by epilepsy living in West Central Florida. The Epilepsy Services Foundation's goal is to raise funds to provide medical and other support services for persons affected biy epilepsy living in West Central Florida and to build an endowment to make a difference in the lives of generation;s to come.

This is a start. I hope it will spread thoughout all of the golf tournaments.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ruth,
This doesn't say that any of the golfers actually have epilepsy. It just says that they have a tournament to raise money for epilepsy awarness.

MORGAN GAY HAS EPILEPSY AND PLAYS GOLF

Morgan Gay was diagnosed with epilepsy when she was 10 years old in 1998. That was the same year she started playing golf. She was diagnosed at the Dallas Pediatric Neurology Department. She has 2 kinds of seizures, They are nocturnal and diurnal paroxysmal dystonia. She is on 20 pills a day for her seizures. She has never had a seizure while playing golf.

In Purcell High School, she has won 3 straight ClassA State Titles. Morgan was in the top five individual finish. Morgan Gay and Morgan Chambers got to go to the All-City golf games. At the Junior College she went to in Oklahoma City, the college won the Junior College National championship.

Her father said:
The golf course is her safeguard. From the pain she feels. The worries she carries and the disorder she has.

Gay says:
"It's a safe place for me, "Gay said. "I know when I go there I am OK."I think it takes all of my focus on the golf course, so I am not worried out there like I am anywhere else," Gay said. " It's pretty odd. It's pretty cool. I don't know how to describe it. It's neat I guess."

This is encouraging to all of us. It shows that we can choose how we live our lives.

Last edited:
Hmm I always thought dystonia was a movment disorder and not seizure? Interesting I may google that tomorrow morning.

Last edited:
www.springerlink.com/index/ww7542po443v15r8.pdf

A diagnosis of nocturnal paroxysmal dystonia has been proposed in view of the association between nocturnal episodes and epileptic seizures, while the diurnal episodes are atypical.

The word atypical means not typical, not characteristic or abnormal.

There are dystonia seizures as well as dystonia movements.
Thank you for the question, Rae.

You do not have to be a movie star or actor to raise awareness and money for epilepsy. Golf is another way.

ANDREW'S GOLF BENEFIT FOR EPILEPSY, JULY 2009
Organized by the Purdy's.

Andrew Purdy was diagnosed when he was 6 years old. He is a happy, outgoing little boy. We continue to monitor his medication to control seizures and support him as he grows.

The Epilepsy Foundation of Connecticut is proud to announce our Fourth Annual Andrew's Golf Benefit for Epilepsy.

The Purdy's said: as we organize the Fourth Annual Andrew's Golf Tournament for Epilepsy, we are thankful to all those who have contributed and participated in the past. We remain hopeful that our collective efforts will increase awareness and education about epilepsy.

We hope again to raise money to help facilitate the efforts of the Epilepsy Foundation of Connecticut and the work they do to help Connecticut families struggling with epilepsy.

The Purdy family like Amy Lee,the famous songwriter, has come forward and have helped the cause of Epilepsy. The Purdy family has come forward, as well.

Ruth
Andrew Purdy is not a golfer. The tournament is for Andrew. The Purdy's use golf as a way to raise awarness.
Your thread title is called "golf players WITH epilepsy" and it should be gold player FOR epilepsy.

Also, in your previous thread you were stating that there were Professional golfers with epilepsy. Morgan Gay is not a professional she played throughout highschool in tournaments and then plays for fun. She is not widely recognised. The other thing I found strange in the article is that it mentions he swallowing her tongue. that is physically impossible. Her tongue can flop back and block the air way but as long as someone turns her head, it will fall out of place. She could nto have swallowed it.

So I tried to do a google search for professional golfers WITH epilepsy *in the same catagory as Tiger woods and Campbell but There was nothing to show. There are football players and hockey players that come up as being diagnosed with epilepsy after a head injury. that is all I could find. You mentioned over 485 golfers with it. where did you get that figure?

if you are talking casual golfers, then i think there would be way more than that. as there are over 3 million people in the US alone with epilepsy. and I am sure most of them have gone golfing at least once.

Whether a golf player has epilepsy or not is irrelevant. The fact that these golfers are promoting not only their sport but more importantly, epilepsy awareness needs to be appluaded :clap: :clap: :clap:

I am also going to do some research on not only golfers but sport personalities in general :) Really hope this helps :e:

My family are also avid golf lovers - made more so by my wonderful and inspiring nephew who, at the tender age of just 18, moved from the UK to a Sports College in Miami Florida to study golf (and also play in quite a few tournaments too)!! He is now semi-pro and lives permanently in Arizona. Hopefully, he will be on the major circuits soon :) Oh... and he is a great advocate of epilepsy awareness too (naturally) and I will be having a provisional chat with him about perhaps doing something to raise epilepsy awareness in the UK (maybe a tournament or something along those lines).

I will keep you updated if you like :)

I watched a mini tour championship on TV, today. This championship invoves, who can make the longest drive. Bobby Wilson, Super Senior Tour, is in the Long Driver's Hall of Fame. He won again today in Nevada for the second year in a row.

The regular tour was won by James Sadlowski. He has won for the second year in a row.
He won $150,000.

Neither one have epilepsy. I wanted to explain what a mini tour is. After so many, he might be eligible to go into the PGA Tour. That is what he and all golfers are aiming for.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I'm a golfer with epilepsy.
Golf is the only thing I have that makes me forget about it. It's Zen.
It also makes my co-players allow for more mulligans and is a great excuse to throw the clubs!
:bigsmile:

Do you play golf for fun or are you a professional. I love golf and it keeps me calm. I watch it on TV. I would love to play.

I would probably get frustrated and throw clubs all over the place, too, if the game did not go my way.

Do you play golf for fun or are you a professional. I love golf and it keeps me calm. I watch it on TV. I would love to play.

I would probably get frustrated and throw clubs all over the place, too, if the game did not go my way.

Chill Ruth. I haven't played in years. I'm learning all over again.
Aside from the lessons, (keep your eye on the ball, follow through, watch your stance, et al)
Just have fun. The more you play, the better you get. There's no reason to throw clubs. Accept the bogies. Relish in the pars. Celebrate your birdies.
You can do it. No stress. It's up to you.

JD

I would love to play golf but my husband is retired. We cannot afford the clubs and all that. Otherwise I would. You sound like a poet.

Well thank you. Most public courses rent clubs. If you shop around you can find a good deal.

I live in a small town and they do not rent golf clubs. I have been to the course and you have to bring everything. I cannot drive so I cannot go and check another city.

In our town, it is so small that it does not have a pawn shop. Our thrift store does not carry them. We have an expensive sports store, but I have not checked there.

Back
Top Bottom