great articles on epilepsy and surgery

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

qtowngirl

CWE Supporter/E Hater
Supporter
Reaction score
been spending a ton of time on research lately to learn all i can on my surgery and brain surg for E in general.

the first is one of the best i've ever come across, very explanatory and understandable, from harvard:
http://neurosurgery.mgh.harvard.edu/functional/ep-sxtre.htm

for anyone who has had a selective amygdalo-hippocampectomy (SAH) or temporal lobectomy plus amygdalo-hippocampectomy (TPR+) this is wonderful.
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1528-1167.2007.01386.x/full#sf

and this is not on surgery itself however explains in great detail about the amygdala and corresponding hippocampus. if you have fear-based simple partials (hugs from me, that was my life) it is really informative. info also down the left side of page is a great read.
http://thebrain.mcgill.ca/flash/a/a_04/a_04_cr/a_04_cr_peu/a_04_cr_peu.html

more to come...

thank u :) very interesting read on amygdala/hippocampus.

Last edited:
After I had my Lobectomy in 1990, I started my research on the brain, too. Of course there wasn't as much available back then as there is now. But my sister did send me a book for Christmas in 1994 entitled "Conversations With Neil's Brain: The Neural Nature of Thought and Language".

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images...ide-v2,TopRight,1,0_SH20_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Product Description

In a series of stories before, after, and even during neurosurgery, an epileptic patient, Neil; his surgeon, George Ojemann; and neuroscientist William Calvin work together to remove a portion of Neil’s temporal lobe. If they do it right, they will have a good chance of putting an end to Neil’s seizures. If they slice too far to the left or right, they will wipe out essential parts of Neil’s memory, or his ability to follow a joke to the punch line, or maybe his ability to recognize his wife’s face. In essence, they can erase or alter parts of Neil. Conversations with Neil’s Brain takes us inside the operating room and allows us to be part of this eerie process of discovery, using it to provide a unique window on human consciousness and the nature of human identity. The mapping of Neil’s brain brings to life as never before the astounding specificity by which the brian operates, making clear why language, memory, and decision making are so complex, and why the cures for such ailments as learning disabilities, mental disorders, Alzheimer’s, and strokes continue to elude the world’s best medical efforts. In the context of this unique surgical drama, Conversations with Neil’s Brain unfolds as an intensely compelling read.

Thx! Second two interesting but the first I will have to make a few trips to get it read :)

hi cad, yeah it's long and detailed. one of the best tho b/c it's very patient-oriented, really makes sense and not confusing. so nice to find those.

:hugs: to you for the end of 2013!

:hugs: and back with you to end 2013! An ending in a good place!

Fingers crossed for a great 2014!

it's 11am there right, you guys hit it two hours before us tonight. have fun!!!!!
just talked to my aunt and she's spending the night in moose jaw, haha well you go all out sista!!

It is two hours via SK. One thing for me is I would certainly NOT be traveling anywhere today or tonight... -28c right now, with a wind chill -39c, and if ones car went down... I come from southern California... no, I like my terribly warm house right now :D and me, I am the type who just has to stay up late to see how wild the neighbors get :D

wowsa, yep that's how i prove to everyone here in BC that 'i can handle this weather i'm a sask girl!' when growing up we were out skidooing in the -30's easy.
must admit tho that i've been away from it long enough i really don't 'prefer' it so cold. we have -30 a few times a year here and like you i stay inside.
so whatcha doin' tonight then... pot of coffee and watching the neighbours?!

Yes, coffee and watching the neighbors while at the same time a movie or two :cheers: Hope everyone elses night will be as fun :lol:

Back
Top Bottom