Groan !!.....

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

TeeTees

New
Reaction score
Well, it's good to be back to what is hopefully the land of the living. I hope you're all well.

I've had a pretty rough few days since starting my sz attacks on Thursday night. I always seem to have a 4 day period of attacks, and then everything's okay again (finger's crossed). The mind boggles

I dunno if it's me, but I seem to find that coming back to work is a good thing as my mind seems to be fixed elsewhere rather than worrying about 'poor me', as I have been for the past weekend.

Finger's crossed that's it now - at least for the Christmas Period.....pleeeease just leave me alone sz's !

A quick question though : does anybody else get a real feeling of coldness after having a seizure ?....I've been really feeling the cold in my hands, even when I'm sat in a nice warm house, after having a sz. Just wondering if anybody else has these experiences

Glad you are feeling better TT.
I use to lose 4 days every month for my migraines and it was the pits.
As for your question, Rebecca has never mentioned being cold, and I have never seen her draw herself up as if she is. Her body runs fairly warm most of the time anyways.

Sorry to hear that TeeTee's!......

I've had a pretty rough few days since starting my sz attacks on Thursday night.

I hope you are safe now!

A quick question though : does anybody else get a real feeling of coldness after having a seizure ?....

Yes....I run a high temp and need a cold rag on my head....but need covers on my entire body as I feel like I'm freezing.
:dontknow:

Thanks guys

Speber : I'm still a little 'touch and go' at the moment, but haven't had a sz...so I'm still typing with my finger's crossed. Thanks for asking bud

I've had those 'cold hands' a few times over the past few days (after the sz's). I have experienced it in the past, but was just wondering if these do effect anybody else. I also get the blood-rush where my temperature must go through the roof, but I absolutely freeze my nuts off after for a while.

Well, I had the most pointless sz in the world last night (although ALL off 'em are). Went to be at 10 (must get sleep), couldn't properly drop off so tossed-and-turned a little for a while - didn't get stressed about it though....

....and then....I felt something about to happen....there was a sharp intake of breath (as if it was my last gasp), and then as I released the air I could feel my heart rate pounding as long as the breath was being released (so just a matter of seconds, if that long)....and that was it !

So, tell me Epi-God <looking up at the clouds>.....WHAT IS THE POINT ?? :huh:

906a025a.gif

Dude! Hang in there, it won't last forever.

Hugs13.gif

QUESTION:

When this happened..
couldn't properly drop off so tossed-and-turned a little for a while - didn't get stressed about it though....
did you try the breathing techniques that have been suggested here?

QUESTION:

When this happened.. did you try the breathing techniques that have been suggested here?

Yeah, I had another go when I went to bed last night - done the relaxing the body bit-by-bit technique whilst deep-slow-breathing. I turned over to go to sleep after and about 5 mins later I had another.

It's such a vicious circle at the moment - can't get to sleep, sz happens, wakes up early due to sz, feel tired following day. Gets in bed next night, can't get to sleep......you know the rest.

I tried 5-HTP for about a month, and to be honest they don't seem to have any effect on me AT ALL.

Roll on Christmas, I think I'll be hibernating for most of it :D

Hey, I'm always cold unless it's 90 degrees outside and I'm not really running a fever. I take a really brisk walk regardless of weather and that seems to warm me up and divert my attention away from stressful stuff. I also have a fun dog who always hangs out by my side (she's warm to pet, too!). We're tight!
This sounds like stress could have been a factor for you. Listen to some soothing music. That always did the trick for me. Get a compassionate pet.

Well, I'll have abandon you guys for a few hours and my dog. I am going to head off to a stressful day at work, but I'll just blow off the stress and imagine it bouncing off of me. And I'll put those headphones on when I get there.
I think work forces me into a regular schedule. If I am not employed, I swear I'll head back to college and get another degree. Online or otherwise!

Last edited:
Thought if this thread yesterday

Yesterday I had a sz in the morning. The sz itself was no big deal but the post-ictal effects were hell. I still went out to do my running around but was soooo tired & out of it. It normally takes a lot for me to get cold but yesterday after that sz I was freezing & I couldn't help but think of this thread.

I rarely get cold, even after seizures but when they're as extreme as yesterdays was then I seem to. I've always thought it was just part of being overtired.

Yesterday I had a sz in the morning. The sz itself was no big deal but the post-ictal effects were hell. I still went out to do my running around but was soooo tired & out of it. It normally takes a lot for me to get cold but yesterday after that sz I was freezing & I couldn't help but think of this thread.

I rarely get cold, even after seizures but when they're as extreme as yesterdays was then I seem to. I've always thought it was just part of being overtired.

I've been thinking about it again too, and have come up with the following (don't quote me on any off this, but it's just my thoughts) :

When we have a sz, the blood rushes through the body and up to the brain to 'feed' the area most needed (hence the quick surge off warmth at the beginning of the sz).....

...then, with the blood serving the vital organs only, plus brain as number one - the rest of the body will feel freezing cold ?

Well, that's my conclusion :ponder:

I used to think it was just that my heart didn't beat as fast because all my adrenaline was spent but your theory makes good sense too. Maybe a bit of both, do you think?

:ponder:

I've been thinking about it again too, and have come up with the following (don't quote me on any off this, but it's just my thoughts) :

When we have a sz, the blood rushes through the body and up to the brain to 'feed' the area most needed (hence the quick surge off warmth at the beginning of the sz).....

...then, with the blood serving the vital organs only, plus brain as number one - the rest of the body will feel freezing cold ?

Well, that's my conclusion :ponder:

Certainly makes sense... and a much better picture than one I was visualizing. When folks mention burning smells, warmth, I don't like what my mind comes up with.

A quick question though : does anybody else get a real feeling of coldness after having a seizure ?....I've been really feeling the cold in my hands, even when I'm sat in a nice warm house, after having a sz. Just wondering if anybody else has these experiences

YES - that's the first things my son, ex, Medics,
Doctors, and Nurses do - check my body. I freeze.
That is the major key sign I had a seizure. If only
my feet and hands are beginning to freeze they know I am
going to start to have a seizure and
they get ready for it.

Other outward warning signs of another
seizure coming (after a seizure had passed):
  • eyes
  • speech
  • automatism
  • facial expression

I have a problem with back-to-back seizures,
more so now than ever before, that's why they
keep me in the ER for awhile. It could happen
within 10 minutes or several hours after the
seizure. Then there's a problem with seizures
that overlaps each other. Like going from
Absence to Complex to Absence to Tonic Clonic
(pause for several hours) then have Complex
(pause) another Complex - then be out with a
mega headache and sound asleep and snoring
for an example of an overlapping seizures then
with back-to-back. (That happened a long time
ago)

In December 30/31, 2006 - I had back-to-back
seizures which caused me to loose teeth (I mean
right out of their sockets, while one was found and
replaced the other was lost and the other was
destroyed because of the T/C):
Tonic Clonic (pause) then to ER - Tonic Clonic
(pause) Complex Partial (pause) Complex Partial
(pause) Complex Partial - end.

I have no memory of the event at all except for
my teeth being cracked, missing, and my body,
Oh my poor body. They told me I threw up, even
saved my broken took from another T/C in the
ER (split clean in half), not to mention my tongue,
and they told me I tried to leave the Hospital after
they admitted me, I wandered, trying to escape,
went to various rages of emotions so quickly. But
that was all they told me and they found me
sound asleep not in my bed in the room but on
the floor!

:embarrassed:

Then there's the Epi's Office, which was also
back-to-back that generalized, Absence to
Complex Partials.

*sigh*

There's many more ... too many!

I hate E!
:mad:

Last edited:
TeeTees,

sorry, you had a seizure hope your feeling better..... I have the flu... so does the rest of my family blah....

just thought id stop in and say hi.... anyways, ((((((((((((no more seizures for anyone)))))))))))) wishfull thinking:)
ttyl
love angel

Last edited:
Certainly makes sense... and a much better picture than one I was visualizing. When folks mention burning smells, warmth, I don't like what my mind comes up with.

Robin:

Those are Auras - pre-warning signs that a
seizure may come, but it doesn't mean that
one will come. That's a peeving issue, one
can have thousands of auras and not one
freaking seizure! It's aggravating!

And yes, even I get this electrical smell,
smell of gasoline / kerosene, and distortion
of vision, and even this rising, and these
visual dot that comes in a nanosecond,
and I'm there but not there, and having a
feeling of departing like I have to go and
get myself, but I'm right here, and all sorts
of strange stuff. And the weird tastes, and
especially on my end, I hate pickles, and
all of a sudden I taste pickles! *GAG*!

But does a seizure happen?

No - not always; when I looked at my
menses chart, I've had auras and no seizures.
Then I've had 22 auras and one seizure. It's
crazy!

When I go to the Epilepsy Foundation Forum,
read other people's postings - they speak of
the same thing, having dozens of auras and
absolutely nothing.

It has to be annoying as heck. You get the
warnings - and you prepare yourself ... and
of all things ... nothing happens! Some of them
have posted as many of dozens of auras and
nothing. And like myself, get one small aura,
and wham - they're smacked with a seizure