Gut-Brain-axis: effect of basil oil on the gut microbiota and its contribution to the anticonvulsant properties

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Bernard

Your Host
Administrator
Benefactor
Reaction score
Abstract

Background: Epilepsy is a chronic neurological condition that disrupts the normal functioning of the brain and it is characterized by seizures. Research suggests the involvement of the Gut-Brain axis in epilepsy. This study seeks to determine the role of the gut microbiota in the anticonvulsant effect of basil oil (BO) using antibiotic-depleted and altered germ-free mice against naïve mice in Pentylenetetrazole (PTZ) induced seizure model. There is an ever growing interest in improvement of treatment outcomes in epilepsy and also in the development of newer therapeutic options, especially in the population of patients that do not attain seizure relief from available antiseizure medications (ASMs). According to research, gut microbiota can alter brain function and development. Increasing evidence suggests disrupting the delicate symbiotic balance existing between the gut and brain results in disease conditions. Also, the oil from Ocimum basilicum L., (BO) has been proven scientifically to significantly block clonic seizures induced by PTZ and picrotoxin in seizure models.

I'm not sure what to make of this study that measured chemical changes in mouse poop along with mice seizure activity. The results and conclusion are confusing to me and I'm not sure why they were feeding the mice anti-biotics. However, it is nice to see more studies being done on the gut-brain - even if I don't quite understand what they were doing.

Back
Top Bottom