Gut-Brain Connections

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Actually, I've explained here why we should be very skeptical of this mans "research", even if he does sound sciencey.

http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f23/dietary-changes-seizure-control-25355/index25.html#post332307
How suspicious should we be when this lead author has been a neuroscience researcher at the University of Genoa since 1982?
What do you know about this neurochemist and his 30+years of research,with a focus on epilepsy *AND* nutrition, that justifies you attacking him in two places at CWE?

You should post your sources to prove you are not making up your claims.**AND, if you are just making this up, that his work doesn't represent legitimate scientific research, what does that tell us about you?

Should you be allowed to post if you intentionally lie, mislead us about scientific research, and make false statements about epilepsy researchers who also happen to be CWE members? If we can't trust you to be honest, should we just automatically erase and\or ignore your posts?
Where's the proof to back up your claims?

Paolo Mainardi of Università degli Studi di Genova, Genoa with expertise in Neurology, ... Read 39 publications, 1 answer, and contact Paolo Mainardi on ResearchGate, the professional network for scientists. ... University of Naples Federico II.
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Paolo_Mainardi

[PDF]Paolo Mainardi Department of Neuroscience University of Genova ...
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com...352/www.gutbrainaxis.org/pdf/.../pepcon08.pdf
Apr 24, 2008 - Epilepsy. 9. Autism. 10. ALS. 11. MS. 12. alzheimer. 13. hypertension. 14. Down syndrom. Paolo Mainardi. Shenzhen, 22 – 24 April '08. 3 ...
http://www.gutbrainaxis.org/pdf/2008 04 22 pepcon shenzen/pepcon08.pdf

How suspicious should we be when this lead author has been a neuroscience researcher at the University of Genoa since 1982?
What do you know about this neurochemist and his 30+years of research,with a focus on epilepsy *AND* nutrition, that justifies you attacking him in two places at CWE?

You can check my response to your other post if you want an answer as to why we should question everyone regardless of years worked or degrees.

You should post your sources to prove you are not making up your claims.**AND, if you are just making this up, that his work doesn't represent legitimate scientific research, what does that tell us about you?

I was pointing out something that I saw a citation that looked as though it lacked validity. I find it funny that you think I'd need a citation to question a citation. It makes you seem rather confused.

To clarify, my sources were Paolos study & the journal he cited.

Should you be allowed to post if you intentionally lie, mislead us about scientific research, and make false statements about epilepsy researchers who also happen to be CWE members? If we can't trust you to be honest, should we just automatically erase and\or ignore your posts?
Where's the proof to back up your claims?

Again, you seem to be very confused. I made no scientific claims so there is nothing to lie about. I said that he cited himself in another non-peer reviewed journal. His citations would me my citations to prove that. I only questioned the claims posted. I don't see how I could be dishonest when what I'm doing is questioning the relevancy of the study not making statements. Are you saying I was dishonest by questioning him even though I wasn't making a claim?

Last edited:
This thread is on the GUt-Brain connections. Any further comments you have about my reply to your post re Mainardi's research, send me pm.

This Ted Talks video discusses the importance of eating the right foods for your brain. It is a five minute long video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyQY8a-ng6g

Thanks.
Something to think with basic nutrition is the assumption that eating raw foods is more nutritious than cooked.

eg tomatoes cooked have higher lycopene levels than raw.
Uncooked spinach has more vitamin C and folate, but when cooked its higher in calcium and zinc.

Just information from my medical nutritionist and dietician.
All depends on the nutrients on what one wishes to get more from....

I have known people whose health improved tremenously on a raw food diet, including one who got seizures to stop on that diet. However, some foods are not safe to eat uncooked as they have contents that are not well digested raw. Raw spinach and carrot juice is my favorite breakfast drink, very invigorating! I hope you post more on what you are learning about diet and seizures.

Been giving my girl apple as it helps to increase acetylcholine levels (good for memory), its not IBS friendly, but 1small apple a day, isn't bad. I have a general idea now as to what foods set her irritable bowel.

Thanks.
Something to think with basic nutrition is the assumption that eating raw foods is more nutritious than cooked.

eg tomatoes cooked have higher lycopene levels than raw.
Uncooked spinach has more vitamin C and folate, but when cooked its higher in calcium and zinc.

True! I found this article that posts foods that should be eaten raw. I'll post the foods to avoid the annoying slideshow.
1) broccoli
2) coconut
3) fruit
4) garlic
5) onions
6) red peppers
It explains why in the article.

I know people are saying that raw diets can help seizure control. I recently went vegan for health reasons ("plant-based" is probably a better term for me) and am only eating "natural" food and noticed an increase in seizures and severity. My motor seizures were at bay and they came the next day after I started eating plant based food. I also suspect I had two nocturnal seizures because I woke up with a bloody tongue two days in a row. Unusual for two in a row and it has been three this month so far. The usual is 3-4 a year. Guessing my body is detoxing the hard core way. :rock: Crossing my fingers and toes that it will calm down and this new eating lifestyle will be beneficial.
Speaking of this, I would have violent motor seizures almost everyday and I started eating a lot of kale, peanuts(not the "healthiest" but it did something positive to my body), and carrots(raw, but I read somewhere that cooked is better) but anyway.. the seizures randomly reduced to 1-3 a month and weren't severe at all. I told my epileptologist about it and she just gave me this "Mmmm" look and a smile(probably fake). Later I started eating more "healthier" and they remained at bay, until the paragraph above.

I love raw garlic on toast with butter and a little salt. Works wonders if you have a sore throat too.

Not sure how relevant this is.

When my son (has autism) was 14, he developed severe pains in his lower belly. We changed his diet, no improvement. He had an upper endoscopy, showed nothing (he visited the GI several times). He had his first seizure when he was 17. He's 20 now, and still has the pain which flares up time and again.

Thanks for reading!

Are you still looking for what may be causing his pain?

@ Zoe, we have kinda given up on his stomach issues. I try everything that I read about in diets, veggies - we are not sure what may be helping/aggravating issues.

Does your Son have issues with constipation? the reason I ask this is that chronic constipation can cause abdominal pain.
A percentage of individuals with Autism do have bowel issues.

Regarding constipation,

I have been getting gentle relief from this making a tea using small amounts of parsley and celery. I take about half a stalk of fresh celery wash it, mince it very fine and add about three of the leafy part of a sprig of parsley. I put it in a large mug and pour boiling water over it. After it has steeped for about half an hour, I blened it with another cup of water in my blender. I strain it and drink sip it as a tea.

The Incredible Powers of Celery Juice - NaturalNews.com
www.naturalnews.com/024596_celery_juicing.html
This makes celery a natural laxative that helps to relieve constipation. ... Diuretic - The potassium and sodium in celery juice are powerful body fluid regulators ...
http://www.naturalnews.com/024596_celery_juicing.html

Back
Top Bottom