hallo

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Status
Not open for further replies.

marjolein

New
Reaction score
Hallo everyone I will try to introduce myself in English. It is not the language I normaly write so if you see words written like a 4 year old on the forum.....that will probably be me and i am sorry for that

Background: I am a stay at home mom, married, 2 children a son allmost 20 years, a daugther allmost 16 years of age. Pats, 2 rats an one Malinois belgium shepperd. I am training te dog.

My first illness :) is MS and 14 days ago I had a grand mal. I have 'thinks' in my had i never thought at it as was it epilepsy :oops: Not verry smart he?

Now I have medication and i hope that this wil be sufficiant.

Good buy :D

Marjolein

Hi Marjolein, welcome to the forum. :hello:

Your English is fine. :)

Seizures, which are the result of abnormal electrical discharges in an injured or scarred area of the brain, are fairly uncommon among people with MS. Their incidence has been estimated at 2% to 5%, compared to the estimated 3% incidence of seizures in the general population.

National Multiple Sclerosis Society - Seizures

Hopefully your seizure was just a one-off event that will be controlled with meds.

Hi...

How will you know that. I want to drive my car :? Some people say thet I must wait half a year, others say no no you must wait a whole year.

You know what is wrong with me I am verry afraid. Affraid that it will happen again you know. Hmm my mouth was sore for one week that was the positive site of it. You can not eat. I just stopped smoking and gain a lot of weight. :lol:

about the car..... I have to ask my dokter. I am just curius if everybody thinks the same about it. I live in Holland and I see that there are people from Australia, England USA.

Good by I am goiing to walk my dog

Marjolein

Here in the USA, the laws on driving vary by state, but typically require at least 6 months from the last seizure before one is allowed to drive again. The law is intending to make sure that only folks whose seizures are controlled are driving.

Unfortunately, there really isn't any way to know if (or when) you might have another seizure. The anxiety of worrying about it is something everyone with seizure conditions (and those who love/care for them) have to learn to cope with.

Hi Marjolein, Welcome to the board. :) :)

Sometimes a seizure condition cannot be seen on a regular EEG, MRI, CAT scan etc. b/c it is hiding deep in the brain and over the years, then, without any warning it will bear its ugly head. :?:

I'm from Canada and in most parts of the country you must go 6 monts and some cases a year, seizure free before you can get your drivers licence back once it has been suspended. In that case your Doctor has to send a letter to the Government stating that you have been seizure free and then it can be reinstated.

The Doctor is obligated by law to inform the Government of any patient that is driving with a seizure condition.

I can only relate to you my own personal experiences of 28 years.
Bernard is correct in the fact that driving laws around seizure conditions varies from country to country.

I went 23 yrs seizure free and I was of the strong opinion that if I were to have an "aura" or get that feeling just before a grande-mal while I was driving, I would be able to pull over in plenty of time, but since found out that it's like playing Russian Roulette, I was fooling myself. I had a minor incident in a parking lot and as a result, I had my licence suspended.I still drove for 2 yrs but I was just lucky that nothing happened. After driving my whole adult life and then having my licence stripped away, I felt like part of my freedom was taken away. It could happen at ANY time and you won't have time to pull over. So again I ask you is it worth the gamble?

I'm sorry but I have a problem with people who have a KNOWN seizure condition and continue to drive and then there's me who has a siezure condition that has been under control for 28 yrs and I've had mine suspended. To me, driving with a seizure condition seems very irresponsible.

Randy (Canada)

driving

Please don't drive with out a doctor saying that thay are fairly certain your seizers are under control. And never drive if you have missed or have been late on your meds.
I was stubern bull headed. It took me 3 crash plus, 2 totals 1 in which I almost killed 3 0f my kids. It finlly took my wife tell me that if I ever drove a car again she was going to take the kids and leave me.
It hasn't been easy letting her be the bread winner, trying to take charge of a household with 6 kids. It is hard to allow restrick to be put on you. But some are nessesry. good luck

Thank you for beiing so honests obout it.

The information about driving a car I did not get from dokters ore paramedics (they have seen me) but from people like you on a Duch forum. :?

Is'nt that strandge?? Nobody tells me anything. I get the pills from the pharmacy and that is all.

It worry's me that you can't see it with the MRI, EEG CAT scan. That it is to deep in the brain. :cry:

I am sad, verry sad How wil I know wat medication is the wright one for me.

Hmm. Have to wait until the 24th of mai ?? Then I will see mij dokter and hopefully she will tell me what to do. I will not use the car :cry:

Marjolein

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom