Has a cause been found for your seizures?

Has a cause been identified for your seizures? (Choose all that apply)

• No. It's a big mystery.

Votes: 80 35.6%
  • Maybe. We have some suspicions, but it's hard to know.

Votes: 74 32.9%
  • Yes. There was an event, injury, or an illness/physical cause that caused my seizures.

Votes: 56 24.9%
  • It's a confusing topic - I may have more than one cause, some we know, some we don't..

Votes: 30 13.3%
  • I don't care what the cause is, so don't ask me.

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • I care what the cause is. I want to know.

Votes: 50 22.2%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

So far the neurologist cannot find the seizure activity on the EEG but they seem to think a variety of problems led to my convulsions. Possible physical trauma to my head at a young age, because of frequent pain in neck. Possibly an old infection/fever. Doctors are still currently trying to find a physical reason. I have been instructed several times to get a lumbar puncture, yikes. Also still seeing a psychologist who stays in communication with the neurologist that prescribed my Keppra. Trying to rule of the psychological, which makes things even more complicated. So some answers but nothing concrete. God bless.

possibly. My MRi showed that I am missing part of my cerebellum, and have a pineal cyst.
At least I don't have alzheimers. Just CRS.

Its really crazy that 12 years ago I was 21 started the BC PILL and had my very 1st seizure. It was a horriable one flip floppin everywhere took off my clothes wandering around the house. They took me to the ER and when I came out of it I was confused as hell had no idea if I graduated HS I said I felt like I was dying cuz I had no memory and was so confused they took that as a threat to myself and stuck me in a 3rd floor for people that wanted to kill themselves. Now that I know a lot more on eplilepsy it was a seizure. So years went by never had anything again got off the pill cuz wanted to have kids and started have seizures. And for the last 3 years I have been a guinea pig with these meds. Praying that this new stuff works. I asked the neuro if I should go back on the pill they said no. Any thoughts...

No I didn't ...I guess that was really dumb on my part. Go back in a couple of weeks will jot that down as a new question to ask. It just seems really weird that all this stuff began with the pill...so for I am on carbortrol and vim pay and no seizures for a couple of weeks. I hope this new med works. I feel a lot calmer...but it could b me telling myself to let things go and it's no big deal if I don't get it done .

"Maybe. We have some suspicions, but it's hard to know."

Degenerative Disc Disease. Has caused two bone spurs to grown in between my C3 and C4 vertebrae and are now trying to fuse together. Also my IV foramina is growing smaller. Those are the holes which the cervical nerves pass through the spine. Surgery might be able to fix the spurs but we don't think it will help the narrowing of the foramina. We also can't conclude that these are "the cause of my seizures" but they are causing a lot of other problems. ( numbness, weakness, tingling, pain etc in my entire left side. starting to affect my right as well.)

Last edited:
Well it's funny reading one of my old posts in this thread where I was wondering about the possibility of a genetic abnormality causing my seizures - long since then I saw a genetics counseller much to my doctors annoyance - he didn't think I had one, a microarray test was arranged and we found I do have one.

I'm missing part of chromosome 18, bands 31 and 32 which is probably what is causing the seizures. So the genetics counseller is writing to the neurologists to tell them it wouldn't always show up on an EEG test.

Although I'm not even sure they know how to read them right, as first I get told it was completely normal, then non-specific abnormality, which I searched and maybe I shouldn't have, but they have got information wrong here before on many occasions even though it's meant to be the best neurology hospital in the North West, but it came up with partial seizures. Make your minds up.

Im asking about Wilson's. My eyes have the tell tale sign and my liver is messed up. Never drank or recreational drug.

-Mandy

Don't know if I mentioned t here or another thread.
I have a pineal cyst,and missing part of my cerebellum.

The cyst explains why I get the feeling that someone is pushing a pencil into my right temporal lobe.
And the cerebellum explains my balance issues.

We're not exactly sure what caused mine but my mom andi both suspect it may have been caused by her having a stroke right before I was born due to extreme high blood pressure. We were given a fifty percent chance to live so there's no telling the long term affects it caused.

I have already responded on this saying I thought my epilepsy started when I fell off a bridge and hit my head really hard, I now know I was born with epilepsy but it started when I hit puberty.

Mine was from the chicken pox. But we are now finding out it runs in our family.My nephew had it from birth and then a tonic clonic. My son has it and now what I thought was myoclonic flurries, was a tonic clonic.

They tell me that a Seizure is an electrical storm in the brain.
Before I knew I was epileptic I used to actually say to people "I am a storm trapped in a brain" so I suspect I must have deduced it somehow but I still like the idea in it's poetic sense. So if you ask me if there has been any cause discovered for my epilepsy I would say I'm the cause.

:brain:
I was told by wonderful Neurologists when I was younger that they could control my seizures at first and second surgery they said not make seizures so often.

I lost my job and it was suggested being a Neurodiagnostic Tech. I did that for approx. 20 years. When I moved from coast to coast they did a fancy MRI and found the surgery was not quite the location. They told me in it was not in the lobes. My focus was in the ventricle below the lobes.

THey called it a periventricular nodular heterotopia. That is why my seizures where never under controlled and they started when I was around 13. It was a birth defect.

:brain:
I was told by wonderful Neurologists when I was younger that they could control my seizures at first and second surgery they said not make seizures so often.

I lost my job and it was suggested being a Neurodiagnostic Tech. I did that for approx. 20 years. When I moved from coast to coast they did a fancy MRI and found the surgery was not quite the location. They told me in it was not in the lobes. My focus was in the ventricle below the lobes.

THey called it a periventricular nodular heterotopia. That is why my seizures where never under controlled and they started when I was around 13. It was a birth defect.

Does that mean they actually operated on the wrong part of your brain?

Futureghost: as a poet I greatly appreciate your poetic use of the term, and it IS poetic. I like that, I have electric storms in my head, yeah its all crazy and I show it when I drop and seize all over with my body. can I use that?

Futureghost: as a poet I greatly appreciate your poetic use of the term, and it IS poetic. I like that, I have electric storms in my head, yeah its all crazy and I show it when I drop and seize all over with my body. can I use that?

which part did you want to use? the part were I claim to be the storm?

Does that mean they actually operated on the wrong part of your brain?
The EEG data showed the discharges but not the exact location. The Head of dept. said at a University if he was aware of it, that he would of had depth electrodes done on me and I would not of had this situation.
I worked there for 5 years and when I communicated w/ him he was surprised to read my note. I had been in status epilepticus at that hospital 3 times. The newer MRI is better for a lot of patients now.

Back
Top Bottom