have you ever had a postictal spinal tap/lumbar puncture done?

• yes

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • no

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • I don't know

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

petero

New
Reaction score

Petero, they attempted to perform one on my daughter when she remained post-ictal for hours after her first TC. I've never really understood why they didn't just get on with an EEG. I'd be interested to know too how common it is for this to be done. My husband had one done as part of his MS diagnosis and almost went insane with the headache he had the following day.

They did one after my very first seizure(s) to make sure that the cause wasn't something like encephalitis or meningitis.

I had one with my first CT scans, EEG and ECG when they had no idea what was wrong with me (in emergency). Like Nakamova they were ruling out Encephalitis/ Meningitis. I was told it is routine at the hospital I went to when someone with no history of seizures presents with no obvious reason to why the seizures are occurring.
I was happy they were very thorough with there investigations.

I have not had a spinal tap. My case didn't present itself with suspicion of autoimmune in the beginning.

http://professionals.epilepsy.com/page/newsletter_090512_autoimmune.html

I am curious of ruling out autoimmune causes of epilepsy and going through with one before I choose surgery whenever the FDA gets around to approving a device to help monitor and stop seizures. I think the risks of a spinal tap are less than that of surgery.

Science is built on observation and changes. Their are many more articles than the one above, but since this website was put up for patients you know it is accepted by the medical community.

I did have several taps. It was because my seizures were accompanied by meningitis, they needed to know which kind of germs.

Back
Top Bottom