Headache and w/ medication

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

vtsammy

New
Reaction score
I've had this hugggge headache for the past 24 hours. I've think I may have had a seizure last night (but not sure), and I've tried Tylenol Extra Strength and Advil. Does anybody know which is better to use? Thanks.

Sam

I actually have had better luck recently with Excedrin Migraine.
Do you have any magnesium in the house. That helps me as well.

Excedrin Migraine is my life saver. Magnesium works, but to much of it gives me the runs.....

http://headaches.about.com/cs/education/a/mig_not_ha.htm

Whether you call it "Migraine,' "Migraine Disease," or "Migraine Disorder," Migraine is actually a recurrent, episodic, genetic, neurological disease. What does that mean? It means that Migraineurs have a genuine neurological disease -- all the time.

When Migraineurs have a Migraine episode or attack, the headache is just one symptom of the episode. It is not the actual episode. The point is, the term "Migraine headache" is not only incorrect, it's misleading, and may be a source of the misunderstanding of Migraine. As Migraineurs, we don't experience "Migraine headaches;" we experience "Migraine episodes" or "Migraine attacks."

It might help to draw a comparison to epilepsy
. It, too, is a recurrent neurological disorder. People with epilepsy have the disorder all the time, even when they're not actively having episodes. The goal for their medical care is to keep the disorder controlled to avoid episodes. These episodes can have different symptoms. Probably the most commonly thought of is a seizure with tremors. When an episode occurs, there are medications for treatment. There are also medications to try to avoid as many episodes as possible.

Such is the case with Migraine. The goal for our medical care is to prevent episodes. Migraine episodes can have different symptoms. The most commonly thought of symptom is headache, but some people have very vivid aura symptoms without the headache or other types of Migraine episodes.

http://www.migraines.org/myth/mythreal.htm

Migraine is a true organic neurological disease. A Migraine is caused when a physiological (not psychological) trigger or triggers cause vasodilatation in the cranial blood vessels, which triggers nerve endings to release chemical substances called neurotransmitters, of which the neurotransmitter serotonin (5-HTT) is an important factor in the development of Migraine.

Migraine is disease, a headache is only a symptom. Migraine pain is caused by vasodilation in the cranial blood vessels (expansion of the blood vessels), while headache pain is caused by vasoconstriction (narrowing of the blood vessels). During a migraine, inflammation of the tissue surrounding the brain, i.e., neurogenic inflammation, exacerbates the pain. Therefore, medicine often prescribed to treat a headache, such as beta-blockers, dilate the blood vessels and therefore can make a Migraine worse.

I did not have headaches until I developed seizures ... they arrived together...... and, of course, I didn't know it was possible for an adult to "catch" epilepsy and thought all migraines meant the strange color and vision changes.

I had a lot to learn and no physician or neuro help.

Nancy : Hi usually when I get a headache it was from the meds I was taking or a sz.

That might be a factor.

Hope you feeling great!!!!!!!! And your sz free !!!!!!!!!

Riva

Yes I don't remember Rebecca ever complaining of a headache before her first seizure. Now it seems to come with the seizure.

I've had this hugggge headache for the past 24 hours. I've think I may have had a seizure last night (but not sure), and I've tried Tylenol Extra Strength and Advil. Does anybody know which is better to use? Thanks.

Sam

Sam:

Is it possible that you might have had experienced
migralepsy? (Migraine & Epilepsy combination) I do
experience those on very rare occasion and they
happen when the occipital region and the temporal
regions are affected; in my case an ER trip is needed
and they have to give me special medication(s) to
stop it or it will grow into status. Usually these are
triggered by something. Over the counter meds
never work. I suggest you to discuss this with
your Neurologist / Epileptologist. Ativan or Diastat
for emergencies come in handy if you have it, works.
Again - talk with your Doctor.

Yes I don't remember Rebecca ever complaining of a headache before her first seizure. Now it seems to come with the seizure.

Robin:

If this is something "new" or a "change", you need
to let the Neuro / Epi know about this. Make a note
to discuss this change, it could be several things.

Well it all is "new" and it all is a "change". A year ago she was fine. 14 yrs she was fine, and now she has seizures, and typically she has a headache following the seizure. The very first seizure, she vomited. I think maybe once or twice more she has vomited, but the rest she just is foggy and complains of a headache, and typically needs to sleep it off. But due to the fact that she is at school, and hates to miss out on class time, and hates even more to be different, she pushes through the rough spots and goes on with her day.

This whole disorder is constantly evolving and "changing" on me. I start to see a pattern and then I can not predict it any more. I don't mean the seizure itself, but the patterning.

Robin, When I was your daughters age and my seizures just started, as soon as I had a seizure I would come down with a headache that was so bad I couldn't function. Not only that like you said about your daughter, I would be so tired I couldn't see straight. I would go to bed and sleep as long as I could. This as time went on went away, I think maybe becuase my brain got used to the seizuring. I now have seizurers and just go on with my day, like nothing has happened. So, yes seiuzres and headaches go hand and hand, sometimes you can avoid them with foods and other things, sometimes not.

Interesting how those foods low on the Glycemic Index are the foods that keep insulin levels down, are known to help hormone levels, are not yeast feeders, and typically don't have chemical additives.
I guess we can always come back to those foods in moderation, after we get the blood balanced.

Elisa - I personally don't want her brain to get use to seizures. I want her body back in balance where it was for 14 yrs. It may be a dream but I am going to keep dreaming it.

Last edited:
God no, I don't want her brain to get used to having seizures either! I by now means was saying that!
All I was saying was as time went on I didnt' get the headaches anymore. But, yes, I do get headaches with foods high in sugar so I have to be careful. My headaches are nasty to. They are only on the left side of my head, always have been. But now since the VNS they run down my face.

I am wondering if the onset of migraine could tug the seizure into discharging. They seem to be learning more and more about migraines.

Ah sugar... my young one at times has craved it. I hope to have curbed that, but I do know for a fact that it is sneaking into her diet when I don't expect it. The other thing I just can't seem to get into her head is that those caffinated drinks that the teens all seem to gravitate toward are evil to her brain. Perhaps the six seizures she has had this month will speak loud and clear... one would hope.

I am wondering if the onset of migraine could tug the seizure into discharging. They seem to be learning more and more about migraines.

Ah sugar... my young one at times has craved it. I hope to have curbed that, but I do know for a fact that it is sneaking into her diet when I don't expect it. The other thing I just can't seem to get into her head is that those caffinated drinks that the teens all seem to gravitate toward are evil to her brain. Perhaps the six seizures she has had this month will speak loud and clear... one would hope.

ahhhh, those nasty caffinated drinks:noevil: I started drinking mt dew amp at work when i would get tired..... I was taking lamictal at the time .... I was in the bath and the room started spinning then my whole body went limp i couldnt move at all... couldnt lift my head to get out of the tub:( I thought for a sec i was going to drown....
after that I never drank another one..... bad stuff:mad:

Back
Top Bottom