Hello, new here...

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary

New
Reaction score
Hello everyone my name is Gary and although i'm not a sufferer myself my girlfriend has just been diagnosed with it after contracting viral menengitis. She is very low at the moment and I wanted to speak to someone who could perhaps give me some advise on how to help her. I love her very much and want her to be happy and help her through this but have no idea where to start.
Thankyou

Hi Gary: She is welcome to post on the board . I have epilpesy for 41 yrs now, what I remember the most is how my family and Dr taught me that Epilepsy was an attitude.
"Epilepsy wasn't an excuse" I Had to go outside and live my life epilepsy or no epilepsy.
The meds meant nothing, others had diabetsis. So what ?????

As I aged my body changed ,meds changed and eventually I RAN OUT OF MEDS. I went for homeopathy and was successful with that, but the homeopathy drs couldn't get me off my last 25 mgs of mysoline. So I started the Gard diet and I am now one month off all AEDS.

I never let epilepsy stop me, I traveled, went to cooking school, had a catering co,lived my life. Attitude is everything!!!!!!!

Welcome to the boards

Riva

:hello: Gary!

Just being there for her and letting
her know ... in fact .. Billy Joel's song
JUST THE WAY YOU ARE:

I wouldn't leave you in times of trouble
We never could have come this far
I took the good times, I'll take the bad times
I'll take you just the way you are

Says It All!

Hi Gary, welcome to the forum. :hello:

A friend of ours just recently had a bout with viral meningitis. She spent a day or two at the hospital and about a week of feeling worthless lounging around the couch/bed at home. She got hammered by it.

I hope your gf has a better time of it than our friend did!

Thank you for your comments unfotunately she is in a terrible way at the moment shes already been in hospital 3 weeks and prob has another 3 to go. There have been several complications along the way which have made things worse but shes a fighter so she'l pull through.
Gary

Welcome Gary.

Feel free to ask anything here. There are a lot of "old veterns" of epilepsy and many new comers too.

There will be changes to your lifestyle but if you keep a positive attitiude, the transition will be much easier.

The first battle is getting the seizures under control. Learn all you can about this disorder and maybe even seek out a local support group. Chatting with others who have epilepsy eases your burden and makes you realize you aren't ALONE!

I hope your girlfriend has a speedy recovery. Being in the hospital sucks!

Hi Gary - sorry I missed this before, but I do hope your GF is doing ok.
She is lucky to have you to rally her to health. I have been told that is a nasty illness.
Best of luck to you both. Let us know how she is doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom