Hello!! Question---

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hey everyone... what a great site! I have epilepsy from a head injury in 2001, I have been on Dilantin since 2002 and seizure free as long as I take my meds. I am 46 and my dr. thinks I should change over to Keppra at the end of the month.

I have read a lot of diff. opinions/side effects and for those of you who did get the mood swings or other effects, how long did it take for those to show up? I have enough mood swings/memory problems now from the head injury, that I can't imagine getting worse! Just worried because I have my daughter to take care of and I work!

Thanks so much, nice to be among people like me :)

Howdy Russell, welcome to CWE!

I'm not on Keppra (I'm a Lamictal person), but I;m sure others will chime in). Just curious -- Did your doctor give you a choice of meds or did he/she pick the Keppra for you?

Best,
Nakamova

Keppra

:shake:Hi Russell!

Well I have seizures from a head injury as well (about 7 years ago plus or minus). I was on Dilantin at first, then tegretol and now Keppra because I wasn't keeping things under control. There are a lot of reported side effects from Keppra but all I can say is it made me tired and it seems as though my memory loss became more than usual. I haven't had the "kepprage" that people sometimes talk about but today I do seem grumpy so we'll see. I've been on it since April (2500 mg/day) but I also seem to have more visual aura's but I can't blame it on Keppra, just not sure. I'm sure you'll have a LOT of responses as a lot of people here are taking keppra in different dosages. Did the MD say why he/she wants to switch you? Just curious. Hang in there my friend.

Neil

My dr. chose it because I also have a pacemaker (I have very low blood pressure), and she wanted to make sure whatever she chose was also in liquid form just in case I ever ended up in the hospital.

I think she is very worried about osteoporosis and just thinks I should go off the Dilantin... I am 46 and close to the wonderful change of life...

Sometimes I don't know if my moods/anger/anxiety/etc.. are from the head injury or the meds... I surely don't want it to be worse!

Last edited:
Hi Russell,
Isn't it a great to have a place to come and talk to others and just seem normal!
I have been on Keppra about 2 1/2 years. I have had my levels adjusted several times. My initial reaction was being very tired and I do have that happen when level get's upped. The Kepparage didn't hit me until I was on it about 4-5 months. Thankful it was short lived, although I do think my emotions can be triggered easily on Keppra.
It seems all seizure meds can have different effects on each person. For me it has been so effective on my simple and complex partials, that I can get by with the side effects, which have been mild for me
jenn

Hi Jenn,

Interesting that you mentioned the "kepprage" after 4 - 5 months since that seems to be hitting me lately. Hopefully it will be short lived as well.

Thanks,
Neil

I just started taking Keppra one month ago. I was REALLY tired for the first three weeks, but that's mostly resolved. I am, however, losing my hair... Which sucks, but overall the side effects have been so much less problematic for me than the tegretol I used to take. (I briefly took Dilantin and hated every minute of it.) but, thanks to you putting the question out there, I now know I'm not out of the woods for the kepprage... :) Everyone reacts differently, but I am SO happy with the keppra. I was suffering more than I realized on the tegretol.

Losing your hair??

You are losing your hair on Keppra??? That doesn't give me comfort!! Really starting to re-think this change!

From what I can gather here the hair loss (in those who experience it, not everyone does) levels off after about 6 months. It's coming out all over, not on clumps, so it's just thinner. At least for me, so far. Obviously my vanity is worth something to me, but I'm SO much happier than I wa before, so I'm hoping to not have too much noticeable thinning. I've been reading here about taking a vitamin b6 supplement to help support the hair, which I've been doing... Some people are also taking prenatal vitamins... I haven't immersed myself in the research yet, as it's not visible and I'm lazy, but you won't know how your body will react to it until you're on it. I didn't mean to scare you! :)

Hi Russell,

I've been on Keppra- 3000 mgs. now for nearly 10 years and initially I was a bit lethargic and also depressed, but that has been an issue with me because my seizures come from the left temporal lobe. I also have a brain pacemaker, that is the VNS, to help control the seizures because that is the only thing that has worked for me, along with the meds. I also have memory loss due to brain surgery I had for the seizures. I haven't experienced any hair loss from the Keppra.

Last edited:
I know a few others have had the hair loss on Keppra. I don't have that problem on Keppra, but when I tried the Keppra XR, I had a huge problem with it. Doc changed me back to regular keppra and had no problem. Doc said usually it is the other way around..people usually have the hair loss on the regular keppra, not the XR...but that just goes to show you seizure meds are different for all.
Keppra XR might be an option for you too. If not for the hair problem, I would have stayed on it...no kepprage and my emotions were so much more even!

Russell,

I have had seizures since I was 15 (I'm 22 now) and have been on a number of medicines to try and control my seizures. I was put on Keppra at one time and experienced tiredness and some hair loss at first, and then extreme mood swings. I am normally a very happy-go-lucky and fun person but on the Keppra my mood changed completely and I was always down and never wanted to talk. As soon as I went off of the Keppra I went back to my normal self again and I was so happy.

Lamictal, Topamax, clonazepam (as needed when I have seizures) and I may be put on Felbatol soon since my other meds aren't really working

Back
Top Bottom