Hello there

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supermand

New
Reaction score
Just registered, and what do I see?

"Looks like you have never posted a message in the forums before. Why not make your first post today by saying hello to our community in the Foyer (our introductions forum)?"

OK. I'll do it!

Hello there, everyone! I don't really know what to say, but I've been feeling kind of low lately, and my bf suggested I try some kind of support group or something.

Here's the thing: after reading so many posts on here, I'm going to sound like the whiniest person on Earth to most everyone here. Fair warning, all; I'm sure I'll get laughed at or make people turn away in disgust, but I need to get this out. So in addition to feeling bad about myself b/c of the epilepsy, I'm also feeling guilty that I'm going to complain at all. Feeling mighty sheepish... :sheep:

My history (short version): 2 seizures in my life, one at 19, initial dx = JME, put on Depakote, tapered off after 3 years, 18 months drug-free/sz-free, then had the second one at 24 (I'm 31 now), dx evolved into "generalized ep" or something; put on Lamictal. Tried to go off it recently (after over 5 years sz-free, my previous neuro thought it would be OK, but since I moved, I had to find a new neuro who'd let me try it), but the first EEG after I was totally off the L. was abnormal, so back on the drugs I had to go, just a little while ago.

Pretty discouraging, and now I'm feeling all restricted and fettered (mostly because I have crappy Rx coverage - no copay, just a percentage - and Lamictal is mega-expensive) by this drug and my condition.

[BTW, I'm fairly sure I don't get any side effects from the Lamictal, aside from the vivid dreams - I read a VERY frightening message board with hundreds of entries talking about side effects, and how nearly everyone has cognitive problems while taking it; trouble thinking and memory loss - I haven't noticed any, but it just doesn't seem like it's the best strategy for me, not with as few seizures as I've had. ]

Like I said, major whiner, but I was very much hoping to be able to leave it behind, and I feel like I've gotten nowhere, and it's pointless to do anything to further improve my health, because I'll still have to take the drug. Not to mention having to structure my whole life around making sure I can pay for it, and that I take it right. And even if I stop taking it against doctor's orders, then I get to live in fear that I could have a seizure at any time.

Anyway, that's as short as I can make it. Thanks for reading this far, if you got to this point. Call me a whiner, it's fine.

And two questions: First, if I tell the doc I don't want to take the Lamictal, she'll probably refuse to see me anymore, right?

Also, if the EEG tech was driving you absolutely BONKERS and was the most irritating person you can imagine (to the point where you were TRYING to write nasty things to her in your brain waves), could that possibly result in an abnormal EEG?

Again, thanks.

Hi Supermand, welcome to the forum. :hello:

Don't worry about coming off as whining. That's partly what we are here for. We've all been in that place before.

Sounds like your tests are showing epileptiform activity (ie. brain waves not behaving as they should). You've had so few seizures though. I'm guessing your seizure threshold is pretty high. I'd guess that you would do really well with EEG neurofeedback.

In any event, I'm glad you decided to join and say hello. Your bf sounds like a good man. :)

HI Supermand,

You don't seem to be a whiner to me at all.

In reply to your question about if you told your dr that you didn't want to take Lamictal anymore would she refuse to see you anymore? I don't think she'd refuse to see you, she might listen to what you have to say & maybe even discuss trying you on another Anti Epileptic Drug.

Hi Supermand: Welcome to the board, your not the first person to be fed up nor will you be the last. DOn't sweat the small stuff. I have epilepsy since I am 11 yrs old ,I am now 51 yrs old . A year and half ago I ran out of meds and went to a homeopathy Dr and been doing great on it. But I couldn't get complelty off the Mysoline. SO I tried the Gard diet with homeopathy and I am doing great no AEDS and just my homeopathy med.

The first time in 41 yrs no meds,no szs clear headed . I am super excited and and write about it in my journal . Have any ques? PM

Riva

Supermand,

Welcome aboard! You are in a great place! You are not a whiner! We all need to vent.

I would really like to talk to you if you will send me a PM. I have JME too and like you have had very few seizures in my life.(3). I'm 39 now but was diagnosed at 14. Do you have myoclonic jerks? I'm currently off all meds and am pursuing homeopathy.

Great to have you here!

Blessed

Thanks for the welcome, everyone! :cheers:

Yes, my bf is a good man. :D

Thanks for the suggestions, too. There's so much information here, and so many topics covered, I think I'll be doing a LOT more reading in the next few days.

You guys are awesome!!

:hello:

Welcome to the Forums Super!
No worries on your posting, and sounds
like you have an awesome fellow there!
Glad you're here!
:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom